Talk

Advanced search

I have just dropped our dog off at his new home, and I'm a mess.

(25 Posts)
Ghostonthedancefloor Mon 16-May-16 13:43:24

Please hold my hand and please don't judge me as this is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do, if not the hardest.

Our beautiful beautiful boy. Oh god I am struggling to type through the sobbing. I have come home to his bowl still here and his hair still all over the sofa. His bed is still in the corner. It is for the best and he has gone to a lovely lovely home, what I wanted for him and more, but my gosh I am struggling more than I thought. I want to crawl into bed and sob until I can't sob anymore sad

FrannySalinger Mon 16-May-16 13:49:47

Oh, I am sorry. It sounds like you've had to make a horrible decision.

SandyMcSandface Mon 16-May-16 14:08:16

flowers Why did he have to go? sad

There have been a couple of posts recently where rehoming sounded like the right thing for the dog. I hope you are OK.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 16-May-16 14:09:32

I'm so, so sorry.

This would break my heart too.

Big massive hugs and no judgement. flowersbrew

Dieu Mon 16-May-16 14:10:41

chocolate wine and flowers for you.

ilovesprouts Mon 16-May-16 14:19:04

I had to rehome my border collie so I know how you fell sadbrew

ilovesprouts Mon 16-May-16 14:19:21

*feel

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 16-May-16 14:20:50

So sorry for you flowers
It sounds like you have made a hard decision but done the best for your dog and that's one of the hardest things to do as an owner.

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 16-May-16 14:22:20

flowers

Do you want to tell us about it?

Ghostonthedancefloor Mon 16-May-16 17:35:08

Thank you all so so much. I picked dd up and tried to stay out as much as I could, visited my dad and sobbed on him and run a few errands. But now I've come home and it's the same again. He wasn't there to excitedly greet us as we walked through the door. I can't even bring myself to run the Hoover around as I don't want to clean up what's left of him (and it's a lot - he was a GSD x)

The new owners have sent me an adorable picture of him cuddled up on the sofa with her dh. It both melted and broke my heart.

The reasons are so cliche and it makes me cringe when I say it, I am dreading the questions. Basically it's all down to work. I was a sahm for years and a year ago I had a work opportunity we couldn't refuse - we were struggling at the time.

We have tried and tried to make it work. I am only part time but he did not like being left for more than a few hours. I was driving 15 minutes each way on my lunch hour to take him out. It broke my heart leaving him knowing the whole time he'd be pining. Not that you should leave any dog for prolonged periods, but he was definately the type not suitable to be left during the day. And it was such a waste. He was an absolute one in a million. The stuff he put up with, he adored our DC's. Taking the pulling, pushing, hyperness all in his stride - in fact he loved it, he loved them. They have taken it much better than I thought, although I suspect in a few days when the realise he isn't coming back is when the upset will come.

He has gone to a lovely couple. In their 30's, they live right by the beach (he loves the beach), no children although plenty of nieces and nephews coming and going, they have another dog, which I love the thought of him having company and a sidekick. Today has sort of been a trial to see if they got on, and they took to each other straight away. She doesn't work and it seemed she treated her animals like her babies, so he will have undivided love and attention, which he so so deserves. I have told them if it doesn't work out, we will take him back straight away and are in contact with a designated GSD rescue who were willing to help.

It's going to be a very quite house tonight sad

Springermum1350 Mon 16-May-16 17:36:19

Oh I know how u feel. My springer became aggressive. And after a trainer and behaviourist we had to to re home him. He actually jumped off the sofa and ran at my son's back and went to bite home. No reason for it.

After speaking to the specific rescue people they found a foster home for him with someone who could help him. They were talking about spaniel rage syndrome.

It was awful. I cried for days. Then after that came relief of not having to worry when out ( he lunged at cars and pulled me in front of a motorbike )

But to this day I still cry at the thought of him. But it does get easier I promise n

jonsnowssocks Mon 16-May-16 17:44:09

This must be so very hard for you. I have two dogs and I do on occasion cry into their scuffs when I think about them eventually leaving us (and they're still quite young); what you've done is incredibly strong and selfless. Let yourself be sad but also know you've done the best for your beloved doggy.

Ghostonthedancefloor Mon 16-May-16 18:17:15

Thank you so so much. Your words really have helped.
I already miss him so much it hurts. I know it will get easier to accept but I can't see that at the moment. We are just off to drop the last of his belongings off (as per the trial), and I don't think we should go in as not to confuse him, but I long to give him just one giant hairy cuddle.
It is definately right by most importantly him but by god it's harder than I ever imagined. I am grieving.

DoodlesInTheHouse Mon 16-May-16 18:50:46

Oh OP. You've tried to do the best for him.

Lovepancakes Mon 16-May-16 19:07:26

I feel so upset for you and you just need to sit tight as you'll get through this. it will be ok in the longer run but i feel for you so much until it settles and he must have been such a big important part of your home.

I think all the love you have so clearly shown him will stay with him and will have shaped who he is so he will always have that with him as part of who he is. It'll help him to bond again I am sure and I am glad the family he's with are sending photos and aware of your pain.
Hang on in there and I know I don't know you but share your overwhelming sadness as it reminded me of when a dog we loved so much too died and everything felt wrong for a while as reminders are everywhere

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 16-May-16 19:25:46

God I'm so sorry. It's like you're suffering a bereavement. Take comfort in that he's alive and well and will be perfectly happy. You know you've done all you can and this is such a kind thing that you've done for him. I'm so sorry though, we lost our old dog the year before last and it is hideous. flowers

Dieu Mon 16-May-16 19:40:42

You have done all you can OP, both for your dog and your family. All the best.

AlwaysDancing1234 Mon 16-May-16 19:45:53

A family friend had to give up her dog a couple of years ago when she became ill and housebound. He went to a loving family and it was the best thing she could have done. You have done a very selfless thing. I know that doesn't make it any easier flowers

TheoriginalLEM Mon 16-May-16 19:47:22

it will be much harder for you than it will be for him. my heart breaks for you. definitely no judgement from me. You did what was best for your dog even though it hurts you. flowers

buckingfrolicks Mon 16-May-16 19:54:56

It is so painful to say goodbye to a loved family dog. He may visit you in your dreams and you'll never forget him

You have done the very best thing you could for him. You can be proud of that.

Lovepancakes Mon 16-May-16 20:36:50

Can you keep contact so if they are on holiday or away for a weekend you could offer to have him regularly? As if that could work it might make the being apart easier- we help with a dog and judging by her sheer joy seeing us she feels we are all extended family

Ghostonthedancefloor Mon 16-May-16 21:23:04

My gosh thank you all so much for taking the time to share your very comforting and kind words.

Yes they are sending me updates - they are so lovely. He has a whole sofa to himself the lucky boy, but has chosen his bed to lie down and fall asleep on. Bless him.

They had absolutely no problem with me checking in on him, and joining them on their walks whenever we want. They are only a 20 minute drive away and am so grateful for this. He has definately gone to an amazing home, and I'm so glad I took the time to find the exact home I wanted for him.

I have sobbed and sobbed on and off all day. I'm ok, then the little things set me off. I still haven't hoovered, and his little (big!) balls of hair are still floating about the laminate in our hall. I have had to throw out the squirty cream out of the fridge as that was his absolute favourite treat, I'd have a bit, then he'd have a bit. He wasn't there to patiently wait for the kids to drop their tea on the floor.

Oh blinking eck sad

takeaturn Mon 16-May-16 22:20:58

We rehomed our dog from a lady who was in similar circumstances to you.

We adore him, and he suits us perfectly. We're so lucky. She cried and cried at handover but honestly we all know we're all happier as a result of the rehoming.

We send photos, emails etc. Oh and she looked after him when we went on holiday as she had the week off too.

Don't be hard on yourself, you've done right by everyone.

hillyhilly Mon 16-May-16 22:29:57

I rehomed our fox terrier this year because of aggression, we only had him four months, were all a bit scared of him and felt a huge sense of relief when he went to his new, much more suitable home where he is very happy. Even still, I cried for weeks (sorry), I've not cried so much since my mum died and now, four months later, I am jealous of people with their lovely happy dogs who don't attack.
You know your boy well enough to know he's going to be really happy,and that you've totally done right by him try and be gentle on yourself and avoid walking places you used to with him

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 17-May-16 09:35:34

How are you doing today, OP?

We rehomed our boy from a lady 6 weeks ago, he's a young dog and she was struggling. I felt awful for her, she was so upset. She's friended me on Facebook and I think she finds that easier as she can dip in and out as she pleases. I put lots of photos on there and she can see him when she wants to.

He settled in really quickly, he's such a happy boy and I'm sure yours is too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now