Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for books on training

(10 Posts)
BestIsWest Sun 15-May-16 15:27:00

Just finished a series of training classes with our pup and moving on to agility but I would like to continue training him at home (I know it's a life long thing).

Anyone got any book recs? We have Perfect Puppy and anothe Gwen Bailey book already

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 15-May-16 16:06:04

The Labrador Site is quite good. Pippa Mattinson has got tons of experience and writes some really good books.

BestIsWest Sun 15-May-16 20:19:10

Thank you, the Total Recall looks good. He's still a bit intermittent with that. Do you think her books will work for non gundogs/ labs?

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 15-May-16 21:45:35

Yes I should think so, it's pretty generic advice. Obviously gun dogs have more of a retrieve behaviour but the rest should be fine for most breeds. What have you got?

Wyldfyre Mon 16-May-16 06:50:32

Not so much a book but the Modern Dog Training and Behaviour Advice Facebook page is a great resource. Lot of the members are qualified behaviourists and professional trainers

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 16-May-16 09:50:50

If pup is a specific breed it might be worth contacting the breed club to see if there are any breed specific books or particular books that have worked for members (they may also know if anyone if selling them on/giving a copy away).

BestIsWest Mon 16-May-16 17:18:32

He's a miniature schnauzer. He did really well on the training course and we both enjoyed it immensely. He's a bright little thing and I'd like to keep him mentally stimulated. Thanks for all your recs, will check them out when I get home.

Rubberduckies Sat 21-May-16 09:55:56

Total Recall is definitely for any dog and I would highly recommend it. What about a clicker training book? Karen Pryor has some good ones

BestIsWest Sat 21-May-16 10:08:48

I've downloaded a sample of a Total Recall and will order it in paperback. I haven't had time to check out the other recs yet but will do so this weekend.
I haven't tried clicker training with him, will he need to relearn?

Rubberduckies Sat 21-May-16 20:50:09

No he won't need to relearn anything. Clicker training is great for teaching new behaviours or shaping old ones. So if he already knows sit you just keep doing what you normally do, but if you want to teach him to sit for 15secs on a particular tile in your kitchen when the doorbell goes off then a clicker would be great, or if you want to teach him to open the fridge and get you a beer, again the clicker is ideal (I kid not not, many YouTube videos of doing this with a clicker!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now