Talk

Advanced search

Ideas for making dog food more appealing

(21 Posts)
DogsMightFly Fri 13-May-16 13:53:32

Following on from my thread about switching from Lily's Kitchen to Millie's Wolfheart, there were a couple of ideas on additions to dog food to make it more appealing.

The ideas were adding tuna, grated cheese and vegetables to the dog food. Does anyone have any other suggestions/tricks please?

Floralnomad Fri 13-May-16 14:13:07

Warm it slightly ,apparently it brings out the smell .

JustBeingJuliet Fri 13-May-16 14:15:03

Salmon oil is very good for adding to dry food. My girl isn't very good at eating it dry (only at breakfast though strangely; she will nibble at her tea dry!) and has a variety of thins mixed in with her kibble. I use salmon oil sometimes, tinned sardines and sometimes naturediet or another good quality wet food.

georgedawes Fri 13-May-16 14:17:35

Bit of hot water to warm it and make slight gravy.

1frenchfoodie Fri 13-May-16 14:41:22

Our labrador goes crazy for plain boiled rice added to his food.

MardAsSnails Fri 13-May-16 14:43:07

Boil chicken breasts in water. Either eat chicken breaths yourself, or give to the dog. Use the water on their dry food over the next couple of days.

For a while it was he only way we got water into YoungGirl

TrionicLettuce Fri 13-May-16 15:46:20

I find cycling through different wet foods (they share a standard sized tin between four of them most evenings) goes down really well with my lot. Mostly I use the various MWH flavours but also occasionally use Lily's Kitchen and Nature's Menu Country Hunter.

Tinned fish is also very popular, either in spring water or pilchards in tomato sauce as a treat.

Raw eggs are good too, as is occasional natural yoghurt.

DogsMightFly Fri 13-May-16 16:11:33

Thanks so much everyone - these are great ideas!

Sadik Fri 13-May-16 21:02:04

Put it in the cat's bowl first. Make sure dog sees you putting it into the cat's bowl and calling the cat.
Then tip it from the cat's bowl into the dog's bowl.
(Repeat in reverse to encourage cat to eat new or unpopular food.)

LetThereBeCupcakes Fri 13-May-16 21:05:40

Similar to sadik, dropping on the floor and pretending you want it back usually works!

Make sure you store in an air tight container, to keep it fresh, or buy smaller bags.

NeededANameChangeAnyway Fri 13-May-16 21:12:56

Ahem.....you could always ask Serena Williams.... www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-36285523

grin

KinkyAfro Fri 13-May-16 21:44:49

My dog has Millies, I mix it with Wainwrights light wet food, she loves it and is losing weight on it which she needs

DogsMightFly Sat 14-May-16 08:16:28

If we had a cat that would definitely work! grin

shock at Serena Williams - not sure I could do that, no matter how good the ingredients in Lily's Kitchen etc!

DogsMightFly Sat 14-May-16 08:19:38

PS This morning I mixed a tiny bit of grated cheese to her dry food and warmed it in the microwave. She wolfed the lot! Have got tinned fish and salmon oil on the shopping list.

Dieu Sat 14-May-16 19:44:19

Daft question, but in what form does one find salmon oil? Not sure if it's something you buy in the pets or health section of the supermarket! Do you buy it on its own, or does it come in a tin alongside the actual salmon? blush It feels a bit like asking for tartan paint! grin

MuttonCadet Sat 14-May-16 19:52:21

We add pasta, rice, sardines in tomato sauce, meat, vegetables, oats (made into a porridge).

Not all at the same time, depending on what we've eaten ourselves (never add salt), but as a minimum sardines and oats.

They love it and it keeps their coats shiney and thick. (Greyhounds).

JustBeingJuliet Sat 14-May-16 22:41:17

I get salmon oil off eBay. I know Fish4dogs do a version of it, but it's bloody expensive and no better than the big container I bought off eBay.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 16-May-16 10:12:01

A raw egg, natural yoghurt, salmon oil (as pps have mentioned), a bit of tripe or other offal (I get the butcher to mince it for me) are some of the things that get my girl to eat.

NeededA In all honesty I've had worse looking meals than that from a takeaway so I can sort of see why she gave it a go wink

ashleylove Fri 03-Mar-17 06:34:42

Well, i think you must put his food in the bowl of other cat or dog in front of him and then put it into her bowl. I think it is the perfect idea. I want to ask a question from everyone that i am in search for a seller from whom i can buy a ramp for my dog. Can any one tell me please, i am waiting for your response.

emilymorgan Fri 03-Mar-17 06:38:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

pigsDOfly Fri 03-Mar-17 15:28:38

Another one that puts hot water on it, only way she'll eat it.

I've tried adding wet food but she sniffed it, looked at me and walked off. Could have been the wet food wasn't to her liking but I've not prepared to keep trying that, although when I had cats she would always make a dive for any food they left, and I won't go into the litter tray situation. I rather think adding cat food might work.

I have picked up her bowl and pretended to eat her food, that often works, although pretending is as far as I'd go, not being Serena Williams.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now