Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best food for sensitive stomachs?

(22 Posts)
DailyMailAreArses Sun 08-May-16 11:17:14

I know this has been done before, but still looking for a good food.

Six month old large breed - has had bad tummy problems due to an infection which took forever to sort. Need something healthy, bland and not too extortionate.

Many thanks.

savasanaaa Sun 08-May-16 11:18:49

We like James Wellbeloved. Reasonably priced, often on 3 for 2 at Pets at Home & the only thing that doesn't upset our dog's v sensitive stomach.

LitteRedSparkle Sun 08-May-16 11:18:51

i dont have a dog, but what about making your own, some chicken, rice, egg? etc (and what ever else the dog should have) and then gently re introduce a 'normal' brand?

Wyldfyre Sun 08-May-16 11:20:58

Take a look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk.

Go for nothing less than a 3 out of 5. Look for one with a named meat source as one of the first three ingredients and avoid anything with maize or wheat as many dogs are intolerant.
Price is not an indication of quality - there are plenty of poor foods with a top price tag.
In my view one of the best price to quality ratios is Skinners Field and Trial as its about the same price as Bakers/Pedigree/Wagg but far superior quality.

DailyMailAreArses Sun 08-May-16 11:31:41

Thanks everyone.

He has been on James Welbeloved for ages on recommendation of the vet (the puppy fish one). After his endless antibiotics he had pro-biotics, but is still very loose. We are on rice again, but he has spent way too much of his little life with rice and egg for a few days to firm him up again.

Wyldfyre the vet and vet nurse (vet nurse seems to have studied dog nutrition thoroughly), and breeder's nutritionist have said not to go for high protein as a) they don't need it (and that too much protein can be detrimental for bone development) and b) it makes them too loose. Will look at Skinners (is that OK for a non working dog though? They are fundamentally pets (though gun dog crosses) and only get an hour plus walk/run, plus odd bits of walking and running around together.

Wyldfyre Sun 08-May-16 13:10:17

Ours don't work either - two do dog sports though (other is retired gundog).
I know many who do work that go with Field and Trial in the off season (when they need less energy) and switch to Working 23 when they are more active.
As long as your dogs are active F&T shouldn't be a problem.

Pippin8 Sun 08-May-16 13:12:31

I've had similar with my 7 month old large breed. TMI but she constantly had frequent massive poos or bloody diarrhoea.

I tried top rated dog food such as orijen & taste of the wild, neither suited & I can't afford a raw diet as she's so big, someone on here mentioned burns & she's on that now. She has the puppy/junior lamb & rice one. It's made a huge difference, she only goes twice a day & it's normal at last.

Wyldfyre Sun 08-May-16 13:18:26

Also protein being in the first three ingredients doesn't make it "high protein". It's second on the list for Skinners but is only 20ish percent of the ingredients

Also I'm pretty sure protein makes poop firmer, not softer - those that feed raw will tell you how little waste their dog puts out.

georgedawes Sun 08-May-16 13:31:02

We feed applaws and our dog who has quite a sensitive tummy does really well on it. You don't have to feed a lot of it though, a lot less than I thought when first changed her food.

Whatdoesaduckdo Sun 08-May-16 14:09:27

I changed to tails.com good about six months ago for my sensitive diabetic old girl she loves it her blend is working well for her no tummy upsets and coat much better

AlfieTheRailwayCat Sun 08-May-16 14:17:08

Mine two (gundog breeds but pets) are on skinners hypoallergenic duck flavour. They do very well on it and both have sensitive stomachs and skin.

tabulahrasa Sun 08-May-16 14:55:50

The higher meat content foods can make them a bit loose, but it's not usually the food it's that that's one of the first signs that you're over feeding and the amount they need of those types of foods is less than ones with fillers in them.

I use wainwright's grain free for mine, it's fairly similar in ingredients to the wellbeloved grain free, but cheaper...also my dog will eat it, he's a fussy bugger.

Mine definitely has an issue with grains and after dabbling with raw feeding and him refusing certain meats I stick to poultry as well.

Wombat87 Sun 08-May-16 15:13:33

Millie's Wolfheart is wonderful for my two. They have a dietician who can help. Their food is amazing quality and they do little sample bags for £5 for you to try!

NotQuiteJustYet Sun 08-May-16 21:00:29

One of our two seems to have a poultry allergy as well as a some form of grain allergy so trying to find a food that didn't result in her trying to chew her skin off took some doing.

We've settled on Vet's Kitchen which is pork and potato based, luckily both girls like it as that solves the problem of trying to get them to eat their own food.

MrsPnut Sun 08-May-16 21:08:17

We feed pooch and mutt health and digestion to our current dog with a dodgy stomach and also our previous dog with a dodgy stomach.
It really does help and it is salmon and sweet potato based so no grains.

DailyMailAreArses Sun 08-May-16 21:45:56

Thank you all. If you had to rate protein for sensitive stomachs, what comes first? Fish, then what?

tabulahrasa Sun 08-May-16 21:53:27

The ones you'd mix with rice...so white fish, chicken...they're the easier digested ones.

I don't know after that as I went on the premise that if he wouldn't eat it whole, given that I know he has intolerances, then I'd avoid it.

But vets always say white fish and chicken, so I'd go with that first.

lamusic Sun 08-May-16 21:54:08

James WellBeloved

DailyMailAreArses Thu 12-May-16 16:52:06

Thank you everyone -lots of good ideas here.

Moogletea Sat 14-May-16 07:39:33

We use Arden Grange Adult Sensitive. It's grain and cereal free and the only feed that doesn't upset our Weimaraner. My biggest issue is keeping everyone else from giving him treats (no he doesn't eat toast!)

Whippet81 Sat 14-May-16 20:50:15

I have an incredibly sensitive greyhound and the only thing I can feed him is Burgess Sensitive with Salmon and Rice. It appears to be good quality but reasonable. Full price it's about £32 but it's often on offer - that lasts my 35kg boy about a month - probably last longer with a better 'doer' as mine can have quite a lot and doesn't gain weight.

triballeader Sun 15-May-16 14:22:22

Numpty dog is a cealiac and uber-milk intolerant.

In the end I had to feed her Nature's Diet single sourced protein food. Thankfully the manufacturer will do bulk discounts and deliver direct to my door.
Natures Diet is perhaps the best to use as an exclusion diet unless your willing to cook rice, sweetpotato and a single source of protein [pref not one your dog has had lots of in the past.]

Numpty can now tolerate some P@H Evolution [Beef, Tripe kibble] and Canagan @Salmon Kibble [both gluten free]

For training treats I use Fish4dogs sea jerky cubes, Canagan Salmon kibble and good quality dried tripe.

Its often a bit of quess-work mixed trial and error to sort out a food your dog can thrive on.
One word of caution; if your dog is prone to hair loss, insane itching, bloody colitis and does not gain weight no matter how much or what you feed see your vet ASAP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now