Advanced search

Taking dog(s) abroad

(12 Posts)
ididntsignupforthis1 Sun 08-May-16 10:32:16

How do you go about it?
Pet passport etc
Is it straightforward?
Got a puppy and adult dog now and would like to take them away instead of boarding them

VocationalGoat Sun 08-May-16 10:39:22

Place marking.
We're driving to France with our dog, so I am interested in what others do/advise.

LyndaNotLinda Sun 08-May-16 10:58:41

Rabies jab needs to be done 30 days before you go (but lasts 3 years I think).

The pita is that dogs have to have a worming tablet more than 24 hours before you bring them back into the country and less than 72 hours. If you're going on a long weekend, you can just about have it done in the UK. Amy longer and you'll need to to go to a vet whenever you're staying.

I'm planning on organising that before I go when we go away this summer.

LyndaNotLinda Sun 08-May-16 11:02:33

Oh and I think the passport cost £80 including the rabies jab. Not all vets are accredited to do the passport either.

When you're leaving the country, you just go straight through. On the way back, there's a little building where you scan your dog's chip yourself, they check the passport and then give you a checked sign to hang in your car (am taking about the shuttle - not sure about ferry but assume it's a similar process)

BubsAndMoo Sun 08-May-16 11:07:24

Lynda has just about got it, apart from its now 21 days prior to export that the rabies needs to be done by, and worming between 1 and 5 days prior to re-entry.

Fairly straightforward really. Depending on where you are going you may also want to look at 'exotic' parasite risks and additional parasite protection above what you normally use in the UK.

Veterinarynurse Sun 08-May-16 11:10:09

Speak to your vet about additional parasite control. What if required to come back into the uk is for the good of the uk not your dog. Only a worming tablet is required but I would also look at protection about ticks and sandflies (if going somewhere that has them). There are some really nasty diseases they can get from them.

idontlikealdi Sun 08-May-16 11:19:21

We have taken our dog to France for the last five years, we go on the train and it's really simple. Allow a bit more time for check in on the way back though.

We take him to the vet before we come back for the worming which is an injection and costs €50.

VocationalGoat Sun 08-May-16 11:26:02

Can I ask a silly question? Can we not just take our worming tablet with us and give it to our dog in France 24-72 hours before returning to UK or is there a certification process from a French vet that applies?

VocationalGoat Sun 08-May-16 11:27:48

Total 'travel with dog' novice here, so feel free to give me a MN slap across the face.

VocationalGoat Sun 08-May-16 11:28:59

Also forgive my thread hijack, OP.

LyndaNotLinda Sun 08-May-16 11:32:39

You have to have the worming done by a vet because they sign the passport.

It's not a jab - it's a tablet. Mind cost £7!

Sorry about my poor maths earlier. I meant 5 days when I typed 72 hours blush

AtiaoftheJulii Sun 08-May-16 11:37:01

Yes, the French/whatever vet has to stamp and sign the passport. Last time we went to Belgium was the first time after they'd changed it to just worming tablet (used to have to have tick treatment as well), and the vet just sold me the tablet, did the necessary in the book and charged me five euros, rather than insisting I brought the dog in so she could give him the tablet and charge me thirty.

It's easy though - you can generally locate a vet online before you go, then (and we like to do it at the beginning of our stay) go in waving the pet passport, and (if in France) say "je voudrais faire un rendezvous pour mon chien" and they'll know why you're there and sort it out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now