Talk

Advanced search

Training ideas.

(5 Posts)
Pippin8 Fri 06-May-16 16:56:12

Pippin pup is 7 months now & can do sit, stay, paw, leave it, wait & down. She has good recall & will retrieve balls, frisbees etc. She also has a good nose & will play the find it game for ages if food is the object.

I'm thinking I need to step up a gear with the training, so any ideas? She's so clever, she has recently learnt how to open doors.

Pippin8 Fri 06-May-16 16:57:00

I meant to add, she's a large breed so I can't do agility etc until she's mature.

Wyldfyre Fri 06-May-16 17:19:12

You could begin low-impact training at something like Flyball - some teams will just have them running up and down over alats on the ground at that age.

Otherwise what about competitive obedience or heelwork to music?

Catinthecorner Fri 06-May-16 17:52:39

Over (onto a side not a full roll) is helpful at the vets.

Wearing items (booties/socks if you live somewhere that gets icy/salted, jackets in winter, etc).

Does she do loose leash walking to heel yet?

If you want to do agility later some exposure to different surfaces now might help (I take mine to the kids park when it's empty- no slides though) and moving surfaces (those flat trolley things at B&Q type shops for instance).

Rubberduckies Mon 16-May-16 08:39:17

Teach her the names of objects to retrieve? So fetch your ball, fetch frisbee, fetch my keys?

Sit/down/stay at a distance?

Send running in a particular direction and stop and sit on whistle ala gundog style?

Kiko pup YouTube has a million ideas smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now