Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do yappy little dogs ever stop yapping?

(19 Posts)
nulgirl Wed 04-May-16 19:36:06

Our new neighbours moved in last week and they seem delightful. Only problem has been that they have 2 little chihuahuas who have barked and howled on and off (more on than off) since they moved in. They seem to be worse when they hear any noise,which is pretty often as we live in terraced houses with poor soundproofing, or when they are left alone in the house.

Will they calm down when they are more settled or are we resigned to a constant soundtrack of bloody yapping?

Justmuddlingalong Wed 04-May-16 19:42:02

In my experience, no unfortunately. Neighbour >>>that way, I'm looking at your yappy little shit of a dog.

nulgirl Wed 04-May-16 19:46:14

Oh dear. I was hoping to hear that it would improve. It's such an annoying noise - the constant high pitched bark. They seem such a nice couple as well. On the bright side, I won't be as strict with the noise levels for the kids about in the garden.

Justmuddlingalong Wed 04-May-16 19:54:17

Sorry. Ndn's dog barks morning noon and night. It howls indoors and barks if a gnat farts 3 streets away. Unfortunately, my neighbour is quite ill, so I don't want to complain about the noise. He is aware of it though, as him shouting at the dog to shut up, is often just as incessant and irritating as the barking.

georgedawes Wed 04-May-16 20:22:06

Not unless you train them. Which my neighbour sees no need to!

nulgirl Wed 04-May-16 20:42:13

The problem seems to be particularly bad when they're not there which means that they probably don't realise. We'll speak to them but don't want to go in too grumpy as it could make for an uneasy relationship.

I don't understand why anyone would get that kind of dog. What is the point of them? Why not just take a Guinea pig or rabbit for a walk

Dieu Wed 04-May-16 23:01:29

Annoying wee fuckers. Feel for you OP.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 04-May-16 23:28:03

Small dogs seem to want to make up for their lack of size by making more noise!

Our neighbours own two Pomeranians and they're really yappy and aggressive especially to people who show they're frightened, like small kids. You can hear them coming streets away.
I just fix them with a Crocodile Dundee stare/hand gesture grin and they back down. Their male owner is really ineffectual with them, and I think that's the root of the problem, along with the pack instinct when both dogs are out together.

So, to answer your question, I think they'll probably calm down a bit after the move but never be quiet dogs.

villainousbroodmare Wed 04-May-16 23:34:26

Not really, sadly.
Poms are probably the worst, followed by Chihuahuas and JRTs.

Maybe they are very very old.

nulgirl Wed 04-May-16 23:37:10

Unfortunately not Villainous. They're 3 and 4. Lots and lots of yappy years left in them😟.

ChubbyKitty Wed 04-May-16 23:39:33

Me and my friend live next door but one to each other and a similar couple has just moved in between us.

I feel your pain. They also like to do diy at 10pm but seeing as they also only moved in last week I'm hoping that will stop once all their furniture is up!

Adarajames Wed 04-May-16 23:45:27

If they were proper dogs Id say you had a hope, but rats on leads like that, no chance, little feckers will yap yappity yap till buried!!

Adarajames Wed 04-May-16 23:46:03

(Not that I'm suggesting you bury them! Before someone accuses me of advocating animal abuse!)

ExasperatedAlmostAlways Wed 04-May-16 23:54:25

I have a chihuahua and she doesn't bark much at all. My next door neighbours got two yorkies that bark none stop the whole time she's out. We have lived here six years and iv got so use to it I completely blank it out. Whenever we have visitors they always comment on it.

With mine we leave the radio on low when out and then she doesn't hear any noises outside to startle her and start barking. My neighbours the other side said they don't hear her barking when we are out luckily so im certain she doesn't. I used a water spray when she was younger and if she barked in spray it at her and it stopped her and when we were out i had some stones in a can id shake if she barked and that's taught her it's a negative behaviour.

pigsDOfly Thu 05-May-16 16:39:03

Owner of a small dog, not a chihuahua, here and no, unless your ndn trains the dog, as I have done, it's likely that the dog will continue to bark for the rest of its life. Although, as pp said it's possible it'll bark less once it's settled down in its new home.

Unfortunately a lot of small dog owner don't train them to stop barking on command, it's easy enough to do. My dog is allowed to bark a few times when the door bell goes but stops when told, otherwise she doesn't bark much at all really. It's all a matter of training.

Chihuahuas are proper dogs Adarajames they just happen to be very small, which unfortunately means that a lot of them have ended up being owned by people who think it's okay to treat them like babies. As a consequence the poor bloody dogs frequently end up developing major problems: becoming yappy and aggressive, as any normal dog would in those circumstances; very much like thugs getting staffies and training what, in other circumstances could be a perfectly lovely dog, to be attack dogs.

Adarajames Thu 05-May-16 22:33:05

Pigsdofly - was being factious, I'm well aware of their issues from idiotic 'owners', we foster for rescues and theyve had quite a lot of chis in with just those issues, but I am a big dog person though

pigsDOfly Fri 06-May-16 18:41:17

Ah okay Adarajames. I'm probably a bit sensitive about this as I've had some remarks about my dog not being a proper dog in the past. I've met so many fabulous feisty chis owned by sensible people and find it just so sad that so many people think of them as 'handbag dogs'.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Fri 06-May-16 23:20:07

Not unless trained, sadly.

We have a chi, Dad has a JRT and mum has a Yorkie. All yappers.

I clicker trained my dog, but she barks when she hears the door. I can't crack it.

We go to restaurants to get together as a family. It's too loud with the barking.

FluffyPineapple Sat 07-May-16 02:24:49

No. They are a fucking nuisance - and the very reason we decided on labs. I couldn't stand to listen to all that yapping 24/7. I feel sorry for you OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now