Talk

Advanced search

Dog with diarrhea can anyone give me advice please?

(26 Posts)
pigsDOfly Mon 02-May-16 20:31:58

My dog has suddenly developed diarrhea and I'm not sure what current thinking is on treatment. She had an attack earlier this afternoon and has been twice in the last hour.

She has one meal a day which she would be eating at about 8.30 this evening. I know this is not usual but it's the only way she likes to eat.

I'm inclined not to offer her any food this evening but it seems an awfully long time for her to go without food: she has had treats during the day so her stomach is not completely empty.

I know chicken and rice is generally advised but chicken can make her a bit runny so don't think that's a good idea.

Can anybody help please?

Deadnettle Mon 02-May-16 20:38:40

I don't know about diarrhoea but when my dog vomited loads last week the vet said to give her scrambled eggs.

Not sure thats much help, sorry. Hope she is better soon.

idontlikealdi Mon 02-May-16 20:41:40

Having been through this last week I wouldn't feed tonight. Offer tomorrow morning even though not usual food time. Mine has wet and kibble so I just gave him kibble for a couple of days. Seemed to work but not sure what the official advice would be. I wouldn't give something different to the normal food though.

pigsDOfly Mon 02-May-16 20:50:36

Thanks very much for your replies. I did think about scrambled egg Deadnettle as I've heard that's what's advised but as she's never had it before I'm not sure I want to try something new.

Idontlike, yes I think that's what I'll do. If she's a bit better overnight I'll offer her some of her usual food. She's on wet food, so a small amount of that I think.

I'm actually going to try to swap to dry food but haven't started yet so will have to wait until she's better.

I'll ring the vet if she's no better by the morning.

Thanks again.

chelsbells Mon 02-May-16 21:18:04

Our DDog was like this a few weeks ago, take away all foods just plenty of water but keep an eye on water intake, too much and she might be dehydrated.

Vet advised as pp has said, scrambled eggs, tends to bind them to help stop the runny tummy. Alternatively dry chicken to tempt her to eat something

It's awful to see them poorly, if it continues vet may prescribe antibiotics, ours did and he was himself again after a dose. Hope she has a calm nights sleep and no more sickness!

pigsDOfly Mon 02-May-16 21:52:29

Thanks Chelsbells. Yes, it really churns me up when I see her like this.

She actually hasn't been to the loo for about an hour and half now so I'm hoping it's not going to get worse; it was awfully runny.

She had a bit of vomiting a couple of weeks ago, was very lethargic and kept eating grass in that frantic way they have in order to make themselves sick. I took her to the vet and he put her on an antibiotic and she was as right as rain in no time.

I've got a feeling it's her rabbit dropping habit that's doing it. We were at the park yesterday and it was the same when she had her vomiting attack, she'd also eaten rabbit droppings. She's 5 years old and it's never seemed to cause problems before but it does seem a bit of a coincidence that she's had tummy troubles twice recently and both times she eaten rabbit droppings the day before. Although, having said that, if it were the rabbit dropping I would have thought the reaction would have occurred sooner than the next day.

I don't know, sometimes dogs seems to be their own worst enemies, with the awful things they pick up and eat. Now she keeps looking at me and I know she want food and I feel horrible that I'm not feeding her.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 02-May-16 22:32:18

My dog tries to drink seawater nearly every time we go to the beach and then looks at me all sorrowfully and upset before he pukes it all back up. They are a bit dim sometimes aren't they? grin

MiddleClassProblem Mon 02-May-16 22:33:58

A lot of vets suggest chicken and rice for a poorly tummy as its "plain"

MiddleClassProblem Mon 02-May-16 22:34:57

They also might give you some probiotic stuff

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 02-May-16 22:39:31

i'd give half at most tonight, maybe less with plain boiled rice

similar for breakfast tomorrow and if nothing firms up then vets for sure. Our Vet is also very keen on giving them something to slow their digestive system down, it certainly seems to help....cant remember what it is called, but it's a icky squirty brown paste

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Mon 02-May-16 22:40:08

You can buy Pro Kolin without prescription. Worth having in the house. CJ3uwvqsvMwCFfgW0wodqfwJHw

BeachysSandyFlipFlops Mon 02-May-16 22:41:19

Sorry, can't do it on my phone I don't think...
https://www.viovet.co.uk/ProtexinPro-Kolin/c664/?quickk_find=111878&gclid=CJ3uwvqsvMwCFfgW0wodqfwJHw

CheeseAtFourpence Mon 02-May-16 22:41:42

We had this a week ago. Didn't give anything until following day and then a bit of natural yoghurt to line his stomach, then scrambled egg. He was as right as rain,

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 02-May-16 22:44:27

The fastest thing to get a gut back to normal is normal food.

pigsDOfly Mon 02-May-16 22:53:01

Thanks for all the advice. It seems to be slowing down a bit now and she doesn't seem that unwell, a bit sleepy maybe.

I'm going to leave her overnight without food and try her in the morning with a very small amount of chicken and rice to start - luckily I've got some chicken in the freezer - and see how we go.

I suspect it's nothing too serious thank goodness, pretty certain it's something she's eaten. Yes, a bit dim rather sums it up smile

Justyou Mon 02-May-16 22:54:44

No milk in the scrambled egg tho !!

pigsDOfly Mon 02-May-16 22:56:12

So should I just be feeding her her with her normal food now Lonecat, or wait till the morning and try her with some then?

I've googled it, but there seems so many different ideas as to what is the best way to deal with it and I know opinion has changed about when and whether to feed.

Justyou Mon 02-May-16 22:56:34

Also just give small amount tomorrow, our puppy was really unwell with sickness and as soon as appetite back I did way too much boiled rice which just make him vomit it up blush

Justyou Mon 02-May-16 22:58:04

We ve just been to vets for this and told scrambled egg no milk, boiled rice, plain chicken or white fish for a day or two after they better then start back on usual food.

KindDogsTail Mon 02-May-16 22:58:49

Budget style frozen boneless white fish mixed with rice.

KindDogsTail Mon 02-May-16 22:59:28

Sorry, cooked of course.

pigsDOfly Mon 02-May-16 23:04:27

Yes too much rice isn't good Justyou. In fact too much chicken can make my dog runny as well, so have to be careful with that.

It's a mine field.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 02-May-16 23:09:40

that's it, pro kolin!

i find the rice slows them down in their eating a bit, and if I do chicken and rice i always chop the chicken really small otherwise someone scowls across the room at snoring dogface manages to pick the chunks out and leaves the rice

MIL swears by chopped boiled eggs, but she's always had smaller dogs...not sure my donkey dogs would stand for a chopped boiled egg even if they were poorly

pigsDOfly Mon 02-May-16 23:09:47

Thanks Lonecat, I'm going to let her stomach have a rest overnight and try her with a small amount of her usual food in the morning.

TheDailyWail Mon 02-May-16 23:12:27

When our dog couldn't get rid of the diarrhoea our vet told us to keep her off food for 24 hours after the last incident as it gave her tummy time to settle. Then introduce a small amount of food at a time until we were sure she was over it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now