Talk

Advanced search

What food?

(14 Posts)
Jungfraujoch Mon 02-May-16 13:23:46

So, we are getting our rescue dog next weekend and have no idea what food to get!!

He's been in foster care for about 6 weeks and been fed a real mixture I think of wet/dry, different brands etc. Will keep him on more or less the same I guess for a bit so he's settled in his new home but going forward I want to make sure we give him the best duet we can.

What would you recommend? I was in Pets at Home yesterday and completely confused by the choice!!

MissBeaHaving Mon 02-May-16 13:41:04

Take a look on All about dog food website,it's very informative & will help you find a good quality food.

Mine have Millies Wolfheart,they are doing really well on it.

http://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk

Jungfraujoch Mon 02-May-16 15:10:04

Thank you, I'll check it out.

Wombat87 Mon 02-May-16 16:09:00

Another echo for Millie's Wolfheart. 2 dogs with sensitive digestive systems (well one more than the other, the others a bloody dyson who doesn't care). They have a nutrition person you can call up and ask them for advice about what kind of dog it is, how active it is etc etc. I wouldn't give mine anything else!

DailyMailAreArses Mon 02-May-16 17:25:52

Wombat - what food do your dogs with sensitive stomachs have from Millies?

Wyldfyre Mon 02-May-16 17:57:34

Take a look at allaboutdogfood.co.uk.
Go for nothing less than a 3 out of 5. Look for one with a named meat source as one of the first three ingredients and avoid anything with maize or wheat as many dogs are intolerant.
Price is not an indication of quality - there are plenty of poor foods with a top price tag.
In my view one of the best price to quality ratios is Skinners Field and Trial as its about the same price as Bakers/Pedigree/Wagg but far superior quality.

Also remember to switch gradually to avoid an upset tummy

Princesspeach1980 Mon 02-May-16 18:21:37

We use Aatu dry food. 80% meat, 20% fruit and veg. No crappy stuff. It's quite expensive but works out ok for us as our dog is tiny so doesn't eat a lot.

JustBeingJuliet Mon 02-May-16 18:32:31

I feed my girl on Autarky which scores 3.5/5 on allaboutdogfood. She's got a very sensitive tummy and I've found foods such as fish4dogs etc have all been too rich for her, yet Autarky, despite its maize content, seems to really suit her. Several of my friends feed the same food (it's £13.79 for a big sack at Costco) and it also suits their dogs really well. I must've tried ddog on 20 different foods, costing a small fortune, over the years, and this one is by far the cheapest and has eliminated runny poos and itchy hotspots altogether. She also has a bit of wet food mixed in once a day - something like naturediet or a tin of sardines - as she just prefers that at breakfast, but she will happily nibble on her evening meal dry. For treats she has raw bones or dried tripe. I've tried a completely raw diet, but that just seemed far too rich for her and she constantly had a dodgy tum.

Floralnomad Mon 02-May-16 18:34:04

My dog is chicken intolerant ( terrible wind) and quite sensitive and he has Millies tracker mix ,which is fish and tripe based .

Wombat87 Tue 03-May-16 10:22:28

Daily - mine has tracker from Millie's as another PP has said. One is slightly allergic to chicken proteins.

Jungfraujoch Wed 11-May-16 14:52:28

Thanks all. We're weaning him onto Aatu which seems to be going ok so far.

Wombat87 Thu 12-May-16 12:31:47

Oooooh I don't know if I'm too late and you've got him. Hope he settles well. Personally I would call the vet you will register him at, ask for an appointment where they just sort of give them a once over and ask them. Or just call them and ask when you register him. Picture please!

Jungfraujoch Thu 12-May-16 18:48:23

Wombat here he is!
Registered with vet, all good. He seems to like the Aatu - gradually weaning him off the old stuff. He's now sitting for treats too which is brilliant!

Wombat87 Fri 13-May-16 21:54:10

N'awwwww he's laaaaaavly!!! Hope he settles well and keeps up the good behaviour!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now