Talk

Advanced search

Walking a German Shepherd puppy.

(6 Posts)
freckletwin Mon 18-Apr-16 17:55:59

Our puppy is 14 weeks old.
We thought we'd got a good routine of taking him for a walk after I've dropped the children off at school and my partner taking him out in the early evening. I've been reading up on dog training and think we have been walking him too much. The walks during the day are about 1- 1.5 hrs and about 45min in the evening. He is very social and doesn't seem too tired etc as he walks off lead down a bridle path. I'm going to cut his walks down but not sure whether the 20min that's recommended will be enough for him. Any advice please

hillyhilly Mon 18-Apr-16 18:09:43

That's definitely far too much and could cause damage that will not emerge until later life.
You need to stimulate his brain with training to tire him out. Are you attending training classes?

freckletwin Mon 18-Apr-16 18:13:44

He hasn't started puppy classes yet- but is booked on to start at beginning of May.

LetThereBeCupcakes Mon 18-Apr-16 18:17:37

The advice is usually 5 minutes of walking per month of age, so about 15 minutes per session for your pup. You can do more than one session per day though!

Agree with pp that it's mental stimulation you need. Practice recall by playing hide and seek around the house and so on.

Congratulations! Feel free to share a pic. grin

gsd1 Mon 18-Apr-16 18:26:28

I followed the 5 minute per month rule with my shepherd when she was a puppy. The mental stimulation from basic training is what kept us all sane grin

Princesspeach1980 Tue 19-Apr-16 16:22:31

Definitely too far, gsds have such troublesome back legs that you have to be really careful. My bil had a gorgeous shepherd, 15 years ago, walked the legs off her as a pup because no one told him otherwise, and she suffered with her back legs all her life as a result. She was almost pts at 18 months because of it, but thankfully with rest she was ok.

You're so lucky though, gsds are my all time favourite dog smile although I currently have a chi X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now