Are you taking your dog on holiday?

(12 Posts)
Princesspeach1980 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:07:28

We've had dogs for years but have never taken them on holiday, as they've always been unruly hairy beasts grin. Our new dog is a gorgeous little chi X and I can't bear to board him out so we've booked a dog friendly caravan through Haven (Hafan Y Mor site) and he's coming with us.

If the weather is good, I think we'll be fine, but I'm a bit worried what we'll do if the weather is bad. If you take your dog away with you, do you usually manage to find plenty of places to eat etc where you can take the dog?

I'm never sure when it's OK to take him inside places (carried if necessary) and when it's not.

Any top tips for dog friendly holidays?

tigerdog Thu 14-Apr-16 10:24:13

We're on honeymoon in Wales with our dog right now! She's a big old greyhound so not the most easily portable, but has the advantage that she can be left in a hotel room or cottage to sleep quietly for a few hours. We make sure we do plenty of research on dog friendly places, and book in advance or call ahead to double check. We tend to book accomodation where we can self-cater as well as eat out, and do half and half. We had never had a dog before this one, but we have learned to adapt our plans. We've been camping, to hotels and holiday cottages with her and it's been really good - there seems to be a few options that are still quite luxurious but allow dogs. We were at a smart restaurant a couple of nights ago and someone had their dog under the table!

nmg85 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:28:00

We do an occasional weekend with ours including this weekend actually. Make sure you have everything you need including plenty of towels and maybe a collapsable bowl for water.
If you are going near a beach find out which are dog friendly (this can change depending on the time of year)
Check where the dog is allowed to go in the place e.g. on furniture, in all rooms etc.
I don't take ours in anywhere unless it states dog friendly on the outside or if it is a pub I have checked a web site etc in advance. I always have a look before I go for possible dog friendly cafes and pubs so I have an idea before we go.
To be honest the weather doesn't change our plans now we have a dog, we will be out walking in rain etc.

Princesspeach1980 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:29:54

If it was just me and DH we would happily just get wet, but I have 2 young kids too who will protest grin.

averylongtimeago Thu 14-Apr-16 10:36:20

Both our Goldies have passports and have gone on holiday with us all their lives. We do caravan though, so that's easier as they just think of it as their second home. Some places do let you take dogs in, but mostly ours are happy to be left in the van if we eat out.
We are out and about while away, so they get lots of walks.
You do have to plan round them, especially in sunny weather as obviously you can't just leave them in the car.
They are seasoned travellers, no problems with car or ferry.
If you are self catering, take extra dog blankets/towels to minimise any mess,and check with owners first.

averylongtimeago Thu 14-Apr-16 10:37:48

Oh, for wet weather? Good waterproofs for all the family are the answer!

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Thu 14-Apr-16 10:50:34

Has she got a crate? A dog that small could easily be left in a collapsible portable crate if you have to go out without her.

Princesspeach1980 Thu 14-Apr-16 12:03:43

Unfortunately he hates being crated and will yap and cry if we do, but he's generally a good boy when left, not destructive at all, so we're hoping we'll be able to leave him in the caravan while we eat out occasionally, or go swimming. To be honest we don't eat out much anyway, I'm hoping we can get away with chips on the seafront, or picnics.

I'm going to take his bed and blankets to put on the sofa to minimise mess but he doesn't really shed either so we're quite lucky.

Portable water bowl is a good idea, hadn't thought of that. Will get one ordered.

RosieSW Thu 14-Apr-16 15:09:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Princesspeach1980 Thu 14-Apr-16 15:43:21

That's great advice, thanks Rosie. He's absolutely fine being left when at home so I think if we give him a day or so to get used to his surroundings, he'll be fine being left for a couple of hours.

Hadn't thought of the fact that I need another packing list! grin

RosieSW Sat 16-Apr-16 02:44:12

RosieSW Sat 16-Apr-16 03:04:44

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now