Talk

Advanced search

Please reassure me...r.e. Spaying

(20 Posts)
Peanutbutternutter419 Wed 13-Apr-16 22:12:02

So my DDog is booked in for sparing next week but in my hormonal state (just had 2nd baby a week ago) I really just want to cancel and keep her at home with me!
She is a rescue and coming up to 8 years old with no medical issues.
Please reassure me and tell me that we are doing the right thing by getting her 'done' even at her age.

tabulahrasa Wed 13-Apr-16 23:41:10

The older they get the more chance of pyometra and that can literally be a killer, so yes, absolutely.

Scuttlebutter Thu 14-Apr-16 01:16:09

Please, please do get her done. Not every bitch enjoys going through their season, and as PP has said, pyo is a very real risk at her age, if left unspayed. Sleeping at my feet is our 13 year old girl - she came to us as a foster when 8, went through her season (which made her miserable and clingy) and as soon as it was time, she went for her spay. Recovered beautifully and since then she hasn't looked back. She is in wonderful health, with a beautiful figure, a silky coat and a bucket of joie de vivre.

TheDogsCat Thu 14-Apr-16 01:44:40

As pp have said pyometra can be deadly and is a serious risk give her age.

i really wouldn't worry about her age. I have a 7 and a half year old golden who has recently undergone three (!) separate general anaesthetics for various conditions. He was in good health before each and the vet did blood tests to prove it before operating.

Plus, your average vet has more experience in spay and neutering ops than any other surgery. If your bitch was left unmetered and developed pyo or cancer, she might need a spaying op anyway. Better to have her spayed while she's in good health and it's a standard routine op.

But yes, it's always scary handing your dog over to the vet. My dog has spent many a day at the vets and I still get far more worried about it than he does (the strange creature adores the vet and positively enjoys getting needles poked into him).

Friendlystories Thu 14-Apr-16 01:56:06

Totally understand how you feel, I was a nervous wreck the day my girl went in but yes, it's absolutely the right thing to do. The benefits to her health far outweigh the risks and once it's done it's done iyswim and she (and you) will be free to enjoy her life without worrying about seasons or the various health worries spaying can prevent. My advice is to try and stay busy on the day (not hard with a new baby!) and lavish her with TLC when she comes home, she (and you) will be fine flowers

Costacoffeeplease Thu 14-Apr-16 07:03:37

Absolutely get her spayed, pyometra is horrible, and often fatal

Princesspeach1980 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:03:29

We took in a family members dog when they passed away, dog was 10 and not spayed. We had it done when she was 11 as she started getting mammary tumours. The vet did bloods before hand to check her overall health, and said she was at no additional risk due to her age at all because the bloods were fine. Definitely worth doing it while she's well, than wait for anything to happen.

Peanutbutternutter419 Thu 14-Apr-16 10:56:51

Thank you for your replies and straight talk, it is just what I needed!
I know we need to take her in, I'm just feeling -stupidly hormonal- guilty.
My Inlaws lab suffered from pyometra and it was awful hence why I want to eliminate the risk for our girl.

RosieSW Thu 14-Apr-16 12:45:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RosieSW Thu 14-Apr-16 12:51:28

WellErrr Thu 14-Apr-16 12:54:52

One of ours who is 10 nearly died of pyometra last month and needed an emergency operation.

Get her done! smile

Peanutbutternutter419 Fri 15-Apr-16 15:39:55

She is booked in for Monday morning and if you wouldn't mind, it would be nice to come on here and post once I've dropped her in as I'm sure I will be a mess!

Friendlystories Fri 15-Apr-16 16:42:03

Plenty of us to hold your hand OP, try really hard not to spend your weekend worrying about it, honestly she will be fine flowers

RosieSW Sat 16-Apr-16 01:41:59

RosieSW Sun 17-Apr-16 19:43:43

ChairRider4 Sun 17-Apr-16 20:35:41

Just to say it may be the alternative my boy was very dopey first night

Other thing with my dogs is don't be worried if they seem to whine bit unsettled first night(obviously if in pain is different ) can be GA wearing of as such

RosieSW Mon 18-Apr-16 14:42:15

SheepAreSuper Mon 18-Apr-16 19:28:27

Wondering how your DDog got on OP. Hope she's home and getting cuddles.

I had my 13 year old (recently inherited) girl spayed nearly 4 weeks ago. She had a mammary strip removal at the same time.
The first night was the hardest, I got her home and wept as she was completely out of it but other than a few healing issues (she can't leave the blooming scars alone) she's done just fine.

Peanutbutternutter419 Tue 19-Apr-16 20:31:13

Thank you for those of you that came back. It has been a stressful couple of days as she ended up having to have a mammary strip removal as they found 3 lumps. She was due to have one removed but I didn't realise there were a further 2.
Also ended up having a tooth removed all at the same time and they kept her in overnight as she didn't seem to recover as well as they hoped.
DDog is home now and seems to be feeling sorry for herself but seems OK. She keeps following me around everywhere though and won't rest for long which I'm worried about.
Feeling very bad for her as I've never seen her look so down!

RosieSW Thu 21-Apr-16 20:09:23

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now