Talk

Advanced search

Doggy Ear Problems

(5 Posts)
JoffreyBaratheon Sat 09-Apr-16 20:49:25

Anyone got any experience of having a dog with ear infections?

Our little 18 month old staffy/JRT has just had her first vet's bill - a bad infection in one ear. The first thing they tried (ear drops we gave her twice a day for a week) didn't work. So last night the vet tried a different thing - some new drug that the vet put in yesterday and will again next week. They think it will be more effective.

So far she still looks sore, but it might take some time.

We're not sure whether there's anything stuck in her ear like a grass seed (still too swollen for the vet to see right in there) but vet thinks it's probably not that. Also she thinks not an allergy as it's only one ear.

Anyone here got some advice/experiences to share? I'm concerned we're in week two and so far no obvious improvement...

Ticktacktock Sun 10-Apr-16 22:31:22

My dog gets recurrent ear infections. I use Canaural which is prescription only. Really good stuff and nothing else seems to work. I ran out and tried to buy online, but you can't without a prescription, so I used a Pets at Home off the shelf job. It didn't clear up, so had to go back to the vet for more Canaural.

The vet said, no matter if the date expires, just use it anyway. The worst that will happen is it won't work and you'll have to get more.

JoffreyBaratheon Mon 11-Apr-16 15:13:46

Thanks. Yes that's the one she had first, that didn't work for her (she had another one, too). Several days on and it is just starting to look a bit less sore, so fingers crossed. She has her second dose of the one that vet puts in for you, on Friday. Will post how she has got on.

Gide Sat 16-Apr-16 23:44:57

Once the ear has cleared up, get some Thornit. You can get it from eBay/Amazon. It's amazing. One of my floppy eared dogs reacts poorly to water getting in or the treats the neighbour gives him when she dog sits and this stuff stops all problems before they become deep seated.

NoMudNoLotus Sun 17-Apr-16 00:04:40

Please don't buy thornit for your dog.

Most vets advise against canker powder now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now