Talk

Advanced search

Dog walker and sitter

(11 Posts)
winkywinkola Sun 03-Apr-16 12:32:38

So what do I need to do to become a dog walker and have other people's dogs to stay when they're on holiday?

I have two dogs of my own. We live in the country with a big garden.

Insurance? Training?

No franchises though. Barking Mad want £13,000!

Any advice gratefully received.

BatFacedGirl Sun 03-Apr-16 13:54:12

I just do it! I have the correct insurance which is around £70 a year but that's it.

We don't want the commitments of a full time dog but we love them so I take in one dog every six weeks or so for however long - usually a long weekend or a week. I stick to the routine that the dog is used to and that's that. The only thing I won't do is have a dog in my bedroom so I pop a stair gate across the bottom of our stairs

Works perfectly for us. We love having. A dog around and just when we are feeling like we don't want to go on our third walk of the day, the dog goes home. Win win really

BatFacedGirl Sun 03-Apr-16 13:56:09

Oh and I advertise locally and I charge £20 a day. The owners supply the dogs food. I also have the dog for an afternoon prior to it coming to stay so I can see how it is around my family. I also ask when the dog was last flead and wormed!

Madbengalmum Sun 03-Apr-16 13:56:18

Batfaced,where are you based? I could do with that service!

Pippin8 Sun 03-Apr-16 14:47:37

The woman I use obtained a licence to board animals from the local council, sorted public liability & a DBS check and she was good to go.

winkywinkola Sun 03-Apr-16 14:58:58

How do you recruit customers then?

Pippin8 Sun 03-Apr-16 15:37:38

There is a huge market for this, massive. I tried 5 places before I found the one I use now. The other 5 were all completely full. I found her via a Facebook page. The others I found by word of mouth, an advert in a pet shop & Google.

BatFacedGirl Sun 03-Apr-16 17:02:49

That last bit was to mad Bengal mum!

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sun 03-Apr-16 17:53:45

To recruit how about joining some breed/dog FB pages, there is at least one page that links up sitters/walkers and potential clients, adverts in vets/pet shops/corner shops, a website like Streetlife. Sitters and walkers are like rocking horse poo in some areas.

Theimpossiblegirl Sun 03-Apr-16 18:47:00

We use Petstay for our dogs- they do most of the arranging on behalf of the carers (for a cut) but they seem to treat the carers well and seem a good one to sign up to. Not sure of they are everywhere though, this is in the South-West.

Dieu Sun 03-Apr-16 20:01:17

Och, the thing to do is get yourself on a dog grooming course, and set yourself up as a dog groomer/walker. Here in Edinburgh, there aren't enough groomers and they are in hot demand! My dog has been on a waiting list for a particular groomer for around 8 months now ... and still no sign of any space!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now