Feeding veggies to your dog.

(29 Posts)
Springermum1350 Sun 03-Apr-16 10:53:59

At the moment my springer has meat and some biscuit for his food.

I want to start trying to add some veg in slowly. But after reading up on it every website has different things you can give them or not give them and different ways to cook it.

So my questions are ...
1. Do you give veg to your dog?
2. What do you give them ?
3. How do you cook it?
4. How much ?

Springermum1350 Sun 03-Apr-16 10:58:20

Meant to add he has an extremely sensitive stomach

ohforfoxsake Sun 03-Apr-16 11:06:40

My dog has a very sensitive stomach - he has whole raw carrots and raw broccoli stalks. Dry fish and potato kibble for meals. Sometimes any left over cooked meat, veg and gravy after a roast. Anything else affects his stomach and skin too badly.

BlackMarigold Sun 03-Apr-16 11:33:48

There are lots of different views online re veg for dogs. Mine are raw fed and I don't give them any vegetables as part of their diet but I let them eat various produce on walks, they seem to enjoy grazing on grass in the spring, and eating windfall apples, blackberries etc. We walked past a field of carrots last year and my lab started digging and eating them, had to put him back on the lead to get him away smile.

Peaceandloveeveryone Sun 03-Apr-16 11:36:19

I give mine raw carrots, broccoli, Apple and the odd strawberry. She is ten and a small one.

nmg85 Sun 03-Apr-16 11:37:28

Mine will occasionally have carrots or Broccoli she prefers apples and bananas though

Springermum1350 Sun 03-Apr-16 11:38:37

I have tried raw but he won't eat raw food or raw bones for that matter. I tried tinned food he wouldn't eat that and he won't eat dried food on its own. But put cooked meat in front of him and he loves it. Need chicken liver u name it. I add some of his dried to help his teeth. But was worried he wasn't getting all the other vitamins and minerals he needs.

He will not eat raw veg either.

DogsMightFly Sun 03-Apr-16 11:41:23

Mine loves veg - her favourites are carrots, green beans and butternut squash. Al dente grin

CiderwithBuda Sun 03-Apr-16 11:43:02

We have two labs and they have a raw carrot every evening. Can't even mention carrots in our house for humans as they get excited and run to the fridge.

We also have a pear tree in the garden and one of them loves pears when they are in season. DH caught her standing on a slightly raised patch near the tree to try to reach a pear. She is so funny - eats her meal and trots off up the garden to get her pudding!

Otherwise I just tend to give them any leftover veg we have - not potatoes nor onions obviously.

Peaceandloveeveryone Sun 03-Apr-16 11:45:07

Potatoes are okay aren't they? (Cooked)

insan1tyscartching Sun 03-Apr-16 17:22:19

Eric begs for cabbage leaves and sprouts so he always gets some when I'm preparing the veg and I give him the odd carrot.He has them raw because he shows no interest in eating them cooked.

ArtyKitty Sun 03-Apr-16 19:25:31

Mine loves fruit and veg. She loves apples, and sits dribbling several feet away while you eat one until you are left with the core when she will slowly sneak up towards you to remind you that they are for her. She pinched a carrot from my shopping bag that was on the floor in the kitchen the other day too. Last night I must have knocked the end bit of the romaine lettuce onto the floor because I caught her tossing it about and pouncing on it in the hall about 11pm..... (it was still there in the morning, though, albeit bit soggier....)

Springermum1350 Sun 03-Apr-16 19:31:32

I bought some sweet potato to try 2m.

Honestly this dog barely eats. I offered him a pigs trotter today and he turned his nose up. Then I offered him Apple ( which he used to love) and didn't eat that.

Put him down liver and beef for tea and he woofed it down.

dalmatianmad Sun 03-Apr-16 19:38:54

My dalmatians are on dry food but I give them fruit and veg, raw carrots are their fave. They love apples/pears/bananas.
They have a Sunday dinner every week, I give them everything that were having, apart from roast potatoes!

dalmatianmad Sun 03-Apr-16 19:39:58

I found out today that they love hard boiled eggs with the shell ON!

bowbear Sun 03-Apr-16 22:50:03

my dog goes crazy for frozen peas! I usually roll a few across the floor for him and he goes bonkers with excitement smile

Lokibuddyboo Fri 08-Apr-16 04:08:42

My ddog loves carrots raw or cooked.
He eats other veg to broccoli, cabbage, peas he hates sprouts, though I can't blame him on that one.
Also likes tomatoes and lettuce.

MardAsSnails Fri 08-Apr-16 05:21:26

Can I ask why not potatoes? OldBoy loved them, and our vet suggested boiled new potatoes as a low phosphorus treat when he was diagnosed with kidney failure. Also mash as a Kong filler

Collaborate Fri 08-Apr-16 08:26:43

My lab has raw carrot mixed in with her kibble - it help with weight management.

I tried her with cauliflower once for around 3 days. Her farts were absolutely gross, so no more brassicas for her(!).

sparechange Fri 08-Apr-16 08:34:16

Frozen peas, raw carrots and broccoli stalks here...

CiderwithBuda Fri 08-Apr-16 10:03:05

Ive just googled potatoes and dogs and apparently I was wrong and they can have cooked potato. Sorry if I freaked anyone out! No idea why I thought they couldn't!

Jaimx86 Fri 08-Apr-16 10:06:45

Yep. Mine has sweet potatoes and carrots several times a week. Her food from Natures Menu contains carrots and peas.
Google sweet potatoe dog treats that you can make.

LeaLeander Fri 08-Apr-16 10:15:49

My chihuahuas love raw carrots, Apple, green bean. Cooked potato. Anything with tomato sauce. Lettuce.

SavoyCabbage Fri 08-Apr-16 10:29:17

We've just got a dog from a rescue place and she's the same as yours OP. She won't eat the dry food she was having at the shelter so we tried her on raw food, natures menu I think it was, and she wasn't interested.

She ate a Lily's kitchen tray the first time but not since.

But she will eat human food. She wolfed down a sausage and lentil casserole and shepherds pie. That sort of thing. She will eat her kibble if it's mixed with some gravy or fish or something like that.

I'm reading the Lily's kitchen book at the moment, trying to figure out what's we want to do about feeding her in the long term. I don't want to make her a fussy eater or make life too hard for myself.

Jaimx86 Fri 08-Apr-16 10:58:44

Savoy - my dog is a rescue and has Natures Menu (chicken and salmon only) as it was the only thin that didn't make her ill. We've as her for 7 years and she will still leave her food for hours before eating it.
She will wolf any food down just before bed time though.
I think it's perhaps because she was neglected/fed irratically by her previous owners. When we leave her for a few hours, she won't eat her Kong until we return.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now