Talk

Advanced search

Dog losing interest in walking with me

(3 Posts)
Fangs4themammaries Sat 02-Apr-16 01:34:31

I have a rescue dog aged about 4. He's normally been very keen to go out, very energetic and loved walks. He would also go absolutely wild with excitement when anyone else came to pick him up for a walk. Now he's started to be a bit reluctant to go out with me. He seems to want to check the outdoors first by looking out of the windows, back and front. He's not nearly so keen on ball play as before, and has even started heading for home by himself from the recreation ground we often go to. But - he's still very excited if someone else comes to pick him up.

I do vary our walks quite a lot (different places, plenty of countryside walks aroung here), and he always gets plenty of time off lead. I am starting to feel as if he's happy to walk with someone else, just not with me. Any ideas?

EasyToEatTiger Sat 02-Apr-16 21:01:07

What is your relationship with your dog? Have you tried training together? What breed is your dog? It might be worth seeking out a behaviorist. You can look up APDT, or if your dog is a working breed you may benefit by looking up the breed. From what you write, you both seem unhappy. And of course, get your dog vet checked to make sure it's not something physical.

Fangs4themammaries Sat 02-Apr-16 21:49:05

Thanks for reply. He is a mongrel. Yes we've done lots of training, in fact he asks for a session most evenings. I feel as if he sees me as (bit boring) 'Mum', while other people are exciting. He's always been interested in other people, which I still think is a good thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now