Nervous dog, nervous stomach?

(6 Posts)
YourHandInMyHand Fri 01-Apr-16 23:22:58

My greyhound is quite a nervous dog in general, and lately has seemed to have an upset tummy a lot, have done probiotics, and antibiotics and it's a bit better, but am now thinking it's linked to her feeling anxious.

Are there any foods that will help settle her stomach more? I gave up on dry food a while back as she was just not eating it, and is now enjoying NatureDiet but if there's something a little kinder on those with a nervous tummy I'm willing to give it a go!

Springermum1350 Sat 02-Apr-16 04:37:44

My dog is the definition of nervous and we are still working out wether this is contributing to his stomach problems.

Basically now he has a hand full of dried food and cooked meat ( chicken , beef, liver etc.

Has to be cooked or his stomach is awful and he refuses to eat it. But honestly it has taken us nearly a year to get to this point where his stomach is fairly normal.

This was done with trail and error and we went through a lot of food to get here.

MardAsSnails Sat 02-Apr-16 05:01:47

OldGirl was like this for a while. She was very flinchy and scared, and every time something new happened she'd have horrendous guts for days (something new like, say, a visitor pops in for a cup of tea)

She had a completely homemade diet for 3-4 months because of this. Friends thought I was crazy as I'd spend more time cooking dog food than my own.

She had rice, a few boiled new potatoes, cooked chicken thigh meat, some homemade chicken stock, sometimes a tiny bit of raw mince, and a dollop of yoghurt. Only treats were boiled new potatoes and raw chicken wings.

In this time her stomach was great, and she settled down a lot more.

She now just gets nervous farts, but no loose poo, when she's scared. Absolutely foul smell, but better than it was. We've had to go back to a few weeks of her homemade food since, like when we lost BoyDog sad but some of that might just have been spoiling her wink

wispaxmas Sat 02-Apr-16 14:35:07

Wispa is an anxious dog and often has stomach trouble. She isn't nervous, but can have terrible separation anxiety. My DH travels often for work and even though Wispa isn't alone at home she knows one of her pack is missing and she will often make herself sick over it. I suppose I could go home cooked for her meals, but I don't really have the time to do it. I've found that she is much better on Lily's Kitchen wet food than others, but it's pricey. On days she is anxious I give her the recovery recipe can or I cook her some plain chicken and sweet potato sometimes.

triballeader Sat 02-Apr-16 22:55:32

NaturesDiet works well for most dogs with uber-sensitive stomachs and digestive tracts. It is one of the very few things I can feed cealiac and milk intolerant idiotdog. Saved me a lot of home cooking when she needed to be a complete exclusion diet. If your dog is very sensitive stick to the packs with just one protien source [ie Lamb or Chicken or White Fish or Salmon] If it really suits your dog you can bulk order it directly from the manufacturers.

YourHandInMyHand Sun 03-Apr-16 22:53:40

Thanks for these replies, so sorry I'm only just returning!

Yes she's been on NatureDiet for a couple of months now. I thought it was helping but she's still so unsettled poo wise (!). In the same day we can get a normal poo, a runny poo AND a mucus-y looking poo?! I might go back to a dry food as they were agreeing with her, less wind and good poos but she seemed to go off it and I was genuinely concerned about her weight.

I was away on holiday beginning of March and while she was with my mum she got left in her crate for a couple of long stretches. sad It seems to have really set her back. sad

I had to crate train her as she has bad separation anxiety too but she was doing fine with that. I work from home and we have a nice routine which I think helps. I'm just hoping she settles back down a bit bless her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now