Talk

Advanced search

worried about my puppies eyes

(13 Posts)
HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 28-Mar-16 19:39:57

Last weekend my puppy's eyes went funny. He couldn't open them properly and the 3rd eye lid came up. Called the emergency vet and he said it just sounded like an irritation, flush it out with cooled boiled water which I did and it all went.

However this has now happened a few times in the week. His left eye almost closes up and his right eye the 3rd eye lid comes up, it's really weird and I'm worried about it. I'll take him to the vets tomorrow but any thoughts from you guys on what it might be?

Tried to take a pic as best I can.

MissBeaHaving Mon 28-Mar-16 20:03:08

Aw bless him,how old is he?

It is a known congenital defect in spaniels but I'm not sure if it causes long term problems if kept clean.

Hopefully the vet can put your mind at rest.

MissBeaHaving Mon 28-Mar-16 20:04:50

Have you spoken to his breeder?

BeachysFlipFlops Mon 28-Mar-16 20:14:30

I had this this week. I have a working cocker and after a walk, her eyes went very strange and the third eyelid came up on both eyes.

I took her to the vet within the hour where they put a coloured dye in her eyes. You could see immediately a slash right across the centre of her eyeballs (which was not visible with the luminous dye). She has run into a wire or fence or something and damaged the cornea? The vet gave her an anti inflammatory injection and antibiotic drops and three days later (this Saturday) took her back, did the dye test again and no damage left.

So please take your puppy to the vet. My vet was pleased to have seen her so early as sometimes it takes longer to heal if it is left...

BeachysFlipFlops Mon 28-Mar-16 20:15:54

Sorry just saw that you are taking her tomorrow. Good luck.... The dye does them look incredibly zombie like confused

TrionicLettuce Mon 28-Mar-16 20:22:56

He's a CKCS, yes? Were both his parents DNA tested for dry eye?

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 28-Mar-16 21:07:47

Thanks all for replies so far. What's weird is that after about 30 mins he's absolutely fine and back to normal so I'm guessing if there was a trauma/injury to the eye it wouldn't come and go?

Yes Cav, almost 8 months old. I'm sure his parents were both clear, took me ages to chose breeder and litter to ensure all tests were in place.

Do you think the vet can do anything off the pictures/video I love taken? As I say it's so sporadic when it happens so I'm unlikely to co-ordinate an appointment with the eye thing actually happening!

BeachysFlipFlops Mon 28-Mar-16 21:54:07

My vet said it could come back during the eye drop stage, so it's still worth having it checked I think.

BeachysFlipFlops Tue 29-Mar-16 16:25:50

How did it go?

HollyBollyBooBoo Tue 29-Mar-16 19:10:55

Ah thanks for asking, so kind.

so no trauma he thinks it might be the nerves which go from the brain to the eyes. He had two hypothesis (can't remember the name of either of them). He said it might just be a growing thing or it will be a neurological thing linked with cavs having small and compressed heads over decades of bad breeding.

I have to monitor it for a week, video him if he has an episode and report back to the vet.

Honestly it's a good job I love this dog as its been one thing after another!

BeachysFlipFlops Tue 29-Mar-16 20:53:03

Thanks for updating.... Hope all goes well and it doesn't come back.

HollyBollyBooBoo Tue 29-Mar-16 21:22:39

Thank you!

MissBeaHaving Tue 29-Mar-16 21:25:49

Just checking in to see how you got on,hope it all settles down now & no future incidents.
He's such a sweet little thing bless him,they don't half worry us Op don't they!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now