staffy x border collie

(13 Posts)
EllenTheEgret Fri 25-Mar-16 09:56:58

We're going to visit a 4 year old rescue dog on Monday with a view to maybe adopting.. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this mix of breeds? Obviously appreciate that all cross breeds will have a different mix of breed traits/different personalities but would still be lovely to hear views/insights.

Thanks smile

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Fri 25-Mar-16 10:05:48

The people who own our staffy boy's sister got a staffy/border collie cross boy about a year after getting her. He is lovely, lots of energy, and I think they found him a bit more stubborn to train (staffys are usually very eager to please), but a friendly, loving dog. They do at least two decent walks a day.

Dieu Fri 25-Mar-16 10:34:52

Staffies are indeed extremely eager to please. I grew up with them. Now I have a Shih Tzu (my first dog in adulthood) and the difference is staggering. They really don't give a Shiht!!

EllenTheEgret Fri 25-Mar-16 11:03:01

Ha!

That is interesting to hear, I had guessed they might be easier to train.. Food for thought, thanks.

SingingMyOwnSpecialSong Fri 25-Mar-16 20:41:40

My brother has a border collie who is incredibly loyal and gentle. He would follow DB almost to the point of exhaustion (DB was a bit reluctant to accept ddog was getting older and not so up for mountain climbing) and having realised DM doesn't like to be licked now licks the air just next to her face.

DixieNormas Fri 25-Mar-16 20:58:13

border/staff the only one I know is absolutely lovely. I've had a staff before and so have my ils. Absolutely lovely dogs, we had collies as children and again lovely but with loads more energy.

like Dieu we now have a shih tzu, dps choice I wanted a border. He's lovely and only little (10 weeks) but not very bright and doesn't give a shiht! I would have liked an easier to train, bright dog. Collie/staff would have been great!

DixieNormas Fri 25-Mar-16 21:00:03

Although I wouldn't change him now he's here!

EllenTheEgret Sun 27-Mar-16 08:08:22

Thanks all - looking positive so far!

Dieu Sun 27-Mar-16 09:59:50

Dixie, our Tzu is thick as mince, bless him. They are THE best wee dogs though, honestly. If I'm honest, the first month or two all I wanted to do was hand him back, but now I love him so incredibly much.

Vinnyinny Mon 28-Mar-16 09:00:06

We have an 18 month old Staffy Collie cross. We all love him. He's currently snoring at my feet as I write this smile

He needs a couple of fairly good walks a day, and can be a bit bonkers if he doesn't get them (likely down to his age I think). He needs indestructible toys to chew like antlers or bull horns, as standard toys don't last too long with him.

We have taken him to lots of training. He picks things up very easily and is very food motivated, which helps!

He is extra friendly with other dogs, which does require a bit of work, but there isn't a bad bone in his body smile

NYCBadger Mon 28-Mar-16 09:08:19

I have a border collie called Badger and he is the softest dog going. He's smart, loyal and he makes me and dh laugh so much. He's the best doh I have ever had. Love him to bits. smile

Jaimx86 Mon 28-Mar-16 22:15:59

Vinninny, he's gorgeous!

EllenTheEgret Tue 29-Mar-16 07:24:02

Thanks! We went to see him yesterday and he was lovely.. Really friendly, good with other dogs with the biggest smile and the waggiest tail ever. Utterly obsessed by balls so would need to somehow train him to "drop" as there would be no way to prize them from his enormous staffy mouth. hmm

I feel terrible for saying this, but the big negative factor for me was his coat - he has long fur like a border collie, mostly white with a few black patches, which just seems like a magnet for mud and would cover the house within minutes.. Going to have to think hard as to whether that is something I could live with or if it would drive me crazy..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now