Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What did you do overnight? Housebreaking puppy

(14 Posts)
NaraDeer Fri 25-Mar-16 08:47:19

Tomorrow our 8 week old puppy comes home, she's our first dog so I've done lots of reading up and found various methods as to what to do overnight and I'm not sure what to do myself.
She will be in a crate in our bedroom.

The most popular two seem to be to just leave her to sleep and if she wakes you up you take her straight outside, others say to set alarms to take her outside every 2/3 hours so she doesn't learn to wake you up.

How did you deal with housebreaking overnight?

mummyflood Fri 25-Mar-16 09:18:59

We had instant success overnight...daytime is a different matter unfortunately.

The advice I followed from the first night was...in crate with door bolted at approx 10.30. in the kitchen. I set an alarm for 4hrs later, got up and let him out. Very low key (like a baby lol!), quiet praise for a wee, then back in crate and me back to bed until 5am when I usually get up anyway. He whimpered a bit for about 10mins, but otherwise was fine.

After 2 nights, didn't get up at 2.30 when alarm went off as he wasn't crying, and we - touch wood - haven't had any bother. No mess in crate - make sure yours isn't too big, i.e. enough room for him to lie flat out, stand and turn round, but not much bigger - otherwise he may sleep at one end and mess at the other.

We have been lucky on a night - think the key is routine,and if you do get up to him, keep it as boring as possible.

Good luck, and enjoy your pup. What breed is he/she? smile

nmg85 Fri 25-Mar-16 09:33:41

We listened for cries etc, I think we did a 12 and 3 and then nothing until DH got up after 6. After a few days after an 11 visit she didn't go until morning. Now she easily goes from 9.30 to 8 overnight if needed.

ImBrian Fri 25-Mar-16 13:33:06

I got my pup at 11 weeks, he went in a crate over night and has only had to let out during a night a week ago when he had an upset stomach.

BestIsWest Fri 25-Mar-16 14:05:56

We only let him out if he woke and cried. We were very lucky, he was an angel. This was the first time we've used a crate and it's been a revelation.

insan1tyscartching Fri 25-Mar-16 21:01:25

We didn't crate,dh slept on the sofa with Eric in his basket for the first few days. He took him out around 11pm and I took him out at 6am next morning.He never woke up and messed overnight and was house trained within a couple of weeks.

Wonderfulworcestershirelady Fri 25-Mar-16 23:30:05

Dogs like children respond to consistency. Whatever you decide to do stick to it. We are a week on from you, picked up our new pup last Friday. Having had dogs before I knew that the first week was going to be tough, but the pup has settled in well and although a long way from house trained we have made progress.
I'm afraid I wouldn't have the dog in my bedroom. They really don't give you much warning and ours tend to wake us up to clear up rather than to let her out. She has also had a runny tummy(stress and probably eating half the garden) so a bit messy. Locking them in the crate is also stressful.
Most of the advice suggests gradual introduction to crating only locking them in once they are happily staying in the crate of their own accord. If the pup is eventually going to be move out of your bedroom you will only have to go through the whole process again so might as well have one week of sleep deprivation.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 26-Mar-16 09:39:56

Monty went straight in the crate and we listened for cries. By the end of the first night I was asleep on the kitchen chairs. He would not stop howling and barking and crying and whimpering. Let him out twice the first night. We moved the crate into the living room so I could at least be comfy on a sofa. The minute I moved he would start crying. Only had to let him out once the second night. The third night he went through the night but would wake as soon as I moved. It took five nights of me sleeping on the sofa before I could creep out of the room unnoticed and sleep in my own bed. With hindsight it would have worked better putting the crate in our room.

Good luck! grin

NaraDeer Sat 26-Mar-16 14:42:03

Thanks everyone for your experience.
I think we will just see how she goes rather than setting alarms every 2 hours.

Pup has been home an hour or so now, eek grin

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 26-Mar-16 15:16:33

Pictures please!

NaraDeer Sat 26-Mar-16 17:18:30

She's not really been awake for any photos yet! Here's a sleeping shot though smile

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 26-Mar-16 17:25:20

we've had lots of pups through the house, and here someone volunteers to stay up late, so pup gets to go to bed at midnight ish, someone sleeps in same room...pup is crated, so person is available for shooshing, be quiet, listening for puppy needs to pee noises, and someone to get up early at sixish to take over morning routine.

once pup is easy to settle at night then it's just a few late nights and early mornings

As far as housetraining goes then my advice is once you are out there do NOT come back in until something has been done, reward, praise, happy dance as soon as something is done, as they are doing say your chosen word and you should get it cracked asap!!

Lurkedforever1 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:44:35

Late night/ early morning garden visits. Litter tray or newspapers near back door 24/7 incase they get caught short, or when they're house trained but at the stage they can't yet tell you they need to go out. No personal experience of caged puppy house training, presumably having to then sleep in it is the normal way they learn.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sat 26-Mar-16 21:36:47

Awwwwwww, lovely!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now