Talk

Advanced search

End of season - advice please

(8 Posts)
Tokenjester Mon 21-Mar-16 11:31:55

Hi, my bitch has been in season for 22 days, there has been no noticeable blood for the last 5 days or so but she is still swollen - is it ok to let off lead now or should I wait until the swelling has gone down? She's quite miserable with this lead walking, poor baby!

Your thoughts please!

nmg85 Mon 21-Mar-16 11:55:23

I waited until the swelling had started to go down to be honest, but then I was a worried dog mum and we had dogs detouring to our front door on walks. No matter how sad she was I didn't want to risk it and have unexpected puppies. I think once the swelling starts to go down you are fine.

Tokenjester Mon 21-Mar-16 13:15:30

Thank you nmg85 for your response, the swelling has reduced a lot but I think I'll phone the vet just to double check! I booked her in to get spayed on day 1 .... i do not want her to have pups! Will let you know what vet says!

Panicmode1 Mon 21-Mar-16 13:16:38

My vet said to wait a week after the swelling had gone, just to be absolutely sure. I did over a month of lead walks, and it was very hard (I've just had her spayed!!). It was probably a bit paranoid, but I really didn't want puppies...

nmg85 Mon 21-Mar-16 13:47:58

Mine is now spayed thank goodness so won't go through that again!

Tokenjester Mon 21-Mar-16 13:49:58

Just phoned & yes, Panic, she said to wait another week or two.... there is nothing wrong with paranoia sometimes, especially when the consequences are so full on.

Whitney168 Mon 21-Mar-16 14:40:02

Doesn't quite tie in with your 22 days (wonder if she might have split her season or had an infection?) but - when the colour goes and the swelling reduces is exactly when a bitch is normally at her peak and ready for mating.

So yes, I'd say on a lead for a couple of weeks yet ...

Tokenjester Mon 21-Mar-16 16:03:01

Which bit doesn't tie in Whitney? The 22 day bit? That's 22 days since she started (but 5 days ish since not spotting). The vet originally said 21 days is the cycle & I assumed that was the period to keep her on lead & that she'd be fine once bleeding stopped.

She has had an infection (an injection & antibiotics orally as she was so under the weather & had a temp). Does it sound like she has another do you think?

She's still not wanting to leave her bed much, do you think I should take her to the vets again? I'm unsure whether it's normal season behaviour or whether she's down because she hasn't been able to have a good run!

Your wisdom is appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now