Talk

Advanced search

Rehoming a travel sick dog

(18 Posts)
BeefLasagneForMyTea Thu 17-Mar-16 20:29:17

Hi we are rehoming a dog who gets travel sick. Never had a travel sick dog before! He is 200 miles away. It's not just the journey home we're concerned about, it's day to day as we want to be able take him out in the car a lot.

Tips/tricks to prevent sickness much appreciated. He's a lab cross collie.

Floralnomad Thu 17-Mar-16 20:46:17

We used to have a travel sick dog and she was better if she travelled on a seat rather than in the boot ,still wasn't keen on the car but there was less mess .

BeefLasagneForMyTea Thu 17-Mar-16 20:52:59

Are travel sick tablets any good?

xxreeldancerxx Thu 17-Mar-16 21:07:44

Our vet recommended Stugeron travel sickness tablets, you can get these in local Pharmacy ..... Just don't mention that they are for a dog as some will refuse to sell them. Not sure of dose but it's determined by the weight of the dog but I'm sure your Vet would be able to advise ..... Can't say it totally worked for us but have heard many others say it has, so worth a try.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 17-Mar-16 21:19:18

Building up their tolerance is recommended. So once dog is home just really short journeys. Literally two minutes, then out the car and something nice like a treat. Do this for a week.

Then next week five min car journeys. Build it up slowly.

Sickness is often caused by stress so you need to get him to not be stressed.

Sturgeon does help. Ive had two travel sick dogs. One was never really cured but was a lot better but other one is fine now.

Whitney168 Thu 17-Mar-16 21:47:00

You might actually find that the 200 mile journey cures him, my only travel sick dog was cured by a long journey ...

It's a bit alien to us, as we like to give space for comfort, but most dogs will actually travel better if fairly closely confined, so I would recommend a crate (and a sheet to cover it if he's really bad). Much safer too.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 17-Mar-16 22:18:56

Worth talking to your vet about cerenia in the vast majority of dogs two long journeys with a cerenia on board and the travel sickness stops.

BeefLasagneForMyTea Fri 18-Mar-16 07:01:12

Thanks everyone my cousin is a vet nurse so will speak to her!

Bubble2bubble Fri 18-Mar-16 07:58:18

I had to send a very travel sick dog on a 4 hour journey to his new home. I got him a DAP collar which I put on him the day before, and amazingly he did seem very calm in the car and managed the journey without being sick.
He also travelled on several layers of comfy bedding.
With this dog it seemed to be a stress issue - he would start to drool even before the car started sad

Fishcake72 Fri 18-Mar-16 08:01:38

We have never really managed to sort out our Lab. Cerenia is good but expensive the amount we travel so we use the child's dose of Stugeron and keep the journeys as short as we can. I cover the back seat in the Huggies bed mats so if she is ill I can quickly whip it away and bin it. I have gotten very good at anticipating it lol

CMOTDibbler Fri 18-Mar-16 08:02:13

My ddog2 used to drool massively in the car, and obviously hated it. After lots of short journeys to somewhere he likes going (the woods, we'd normally walk there), and sitting in the middle of the back seat so he can look straight ahead he doesn't really do it anymore and is a lot happier, so I'd say it was def a stress thing for him

BeefLasagneForMyTea Fri 18-Mar-16 08:29:17

I hope that we can get him over it as we are going on holiday twice this year (in UK) which will involve 2-3 hours to get to both places. Happy of course to stop at all service stations but for his sake I hope we can fix him smile

Lokibuddyboo Fri 18-Mar-16 15:28:54

My dad's whippet gets car sick has from the first journey when we picked him up from the breeder.
He can't go far before he's being sick.
Nothing has helped but we haven't tried human sickness tablets as don't know what the dosage would be.
But we were told to try crystallized ginger but haven't found any to try yet.

pandakitchen Fri 18-Mar-16 15:48:06

With our dog perseverance was key- she was terrible with sickness, even sitting in the car caused her to start drooling and shaking.

Started her off with just sitting in the car and giving her a treat, we got her a really good harness and took her out everyday for weeks on short trips- literally a mile or round the block, seat protector and several old towels later we cracked it.

She still gets a treat every time we get in & out of the car.

Someone else I know got a thundercoat from here which they say helped.

pandakitchen Fri 18-Mar-16 15:50:03

Loki ours is a Whippet exactly the same- apparently the breed is known or it.

1frenchfoodie Fri 18-Mar-16 16:28:08

loki you can usually get crystalised ginger in Holland and Barrett, it is pretty firey though so not sure how keen your dog will be to eat it.

happygardening Fri 18-Mar-16 18:37:11

My dog suffered from extreme travel sickness he started vomiting as soon as he got in the car even before starting the engine and at one stage I couldn't even get him near my car, I had to drag/carry him, as he started drooling and panting when he was about 10 yards away. We tried everything mentioned above it left me out of financially pocket and my neighbours thought that I was nuts; driving the car for two yards! If he hadn't had to go to the dog groomers regularly I would have given up. A helpful lady on here said he'd grow out of it and he almost has, last time I went to the groomers he actually jumped into the car, he sits on the front seat (on a towel) he yawns a lot but doesn't vomit or even drool anymore.
Most important tip dont feed them for 12 hours before travelling, I couldnt believe a 7kg dog could generate that much vomit!

BeefLasagneForMyTea Sat 19-Mar-16 17:04:34

We gave him one Sturgeon, stopped three times and made it home vomit free!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now