Talk

Advanced search

Good dog walking coat?

(12 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 17-Mar-16 09:15:56

I'm in the market for a decent quality dog walking coat, it needs to be waterproof, warm, yet breathable so I'm not pouring with sweat even if it's below freezing outside (rare for the UK but it does occasionally happen!).
Any recommendations?

Wolfiefan Thu 17-Mar-16 09:17:35

Watching with interest!

LyndaNotLinda Thu 17-Mar-16 09:21:37

I have the Seasalt 3 seasons (think that's what it's called). It is brilliant - I live on the coast and it's very windy and freezing a lot of the time in winter but this kept me toasty.

It's comfortable and not too ugly either

Twitterqueen Thu 17-Mar-16 09:23:01

I've been searching for months. Finally bought a Joules right as rain waterproof & breathable, replacing my poor worn-out Barbour.

Impt:
hood stays on head - doesn't fly off at slightest breeze. Toggles are good weight & strong
2 lots of pockets - side ones for easy access to poo bags, tissues etc, plus the safer 'vertical' ones, where I keep my phone, car keys etc because they don't fall out.
Length is to the mid-thigh - again important when you're walking 365 days a year.
Lightweight - I hadn't realised how heavy my Barbout was / is
Easy zip and snaps make it quick to do up.

I do love it - and it was reduced from £80 to £30 in Scats / Mole

Owllady Thu 17-Mar-16 09:26:32

I've got a seasalt one too (I've had a look on their website I think it's a northstar) hardly the height of fashion but it's a fantastic dog walking coat! Never leaked ever

AnUtterIdiot Thu 17-Mar-16 12:05:15

I usually wear layers - we're in the Fens so it's all about avoiding the Siberian wind chill. Long sleeved shirt, thick cardigan, woolly scarf, all zipped up under a North Face raincoat. Toasty as anything AND waterproof.

The zipping is key by the way as it is a bit grim if the scarf is tassled and the end accidentally falls into a poo as you are scooping it up. Or so I'm told cough

ScattyHattie Thu 17-Mar-16 14:48:46

i've a lands end commuter down coat, also had the squall stadium & parka but the velcro by the zip kept sticking on the dog leads & irritated me. I'm a cold person so don't tend to get sweaty though the fabric is supposed to be breathable, wind resistant etc. As the hoods are insulated the weight helps keep them on along with the toggles. I've stayed dry when out in heavy rain but can take a while for coat outer to dry again. I've got bought couple on ebay cheaply in the past and latest on LE sales so £50-60

GreenMouse Thu 17-Mar-16 14:52:26

I second the Land's End commuter down coat, it's brilliant, warm and cosy, waterproof, good hood, lots of pockets, machine-washable, from my point of view it's the perfect dog walking coat.

TheFlyingFauxPas Thu 17-Mar-16 14:53:49

I've just bought one from a charity shop for £6. It's actually a man's Primark one and I'm extremely happy with it 😊 waterproof, warm and lightweight great pockets. Inner ones too.

Scuttlebutter Thu 17-Mar-16 16:08:34

I'd rate the Lands End Squall Coat. It won't win any prizes on Style and Beauty but it's an amazing coat. Stands up to rain, snow, hail etc, very windproof, can be slung in the washing machine. Mine is at least 8 years old, possibly longer and still looks tip top - it's virtually indestructible even though it usually lives in the car boot with four muddy sighthounds sitting on it, including Mr. Titanium Claws himself. The only fault I'd give it paradoxically is that it's so windproof I actually find it a bit too warm at this sort of time of the year - you couldn't wear it on a wet summer walk for instance. In general I find Lands End stuff pretty good, I've got a few bits from them, like a down gilet, some fleeces etc and they are all excellent quality. It's worth keeping an eye on the Clearance section of their website - you can pick up some excellent bargains there especially at this time of year (end of winter season).

jevoudrais Thu 17-Mar-16 20:38:43

I buy my coats from equestrian places. Lots of vents, breathable, waterproof, windproof, detachable this and that. And nowhere near as expensive as some of the big brands too.

GreyHare Fri 18-Mar-16 11:20:25

I have a Joules Waterproof Parka for proper rainy days but it's not padded so I wear layers under if a bit chilly and I have a padded water resistant Parka from Fatface for when drizzly and cold, and a down coat that isn't waterproof for really cold but dry days as I couldn't find one coat that did it all, I tend to mainly wear either of the Parkas most days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now