Talk

Advanced search

How to get plaque of teeth

(6 Posts)
Summerwood1 Mon 14-Mar-16 22:00:08

We have a dog toothbrush and a green liquid paste recommended by vet but it's still doesn't shift the plaque. Any ideas on what I can do. He's 20 months old.

lastnightiwenttomanderley Mon 14-Mar-16 22:09:48

Have you tried plaqoff? (sp) What breed is it?

Summerwood1 Mon 14-Mar-16 23:34:34

No I've not tried that,is it good? He's cavalier/poodle cross.

noddingoff Tue 15-Mar-16 00:44:51

If you can see it, it's probably tartar, not plaque...basically limescale consistency and needs a scale and polish to get rid. People get worried about the fact that their pet needs a general anaesthetic for this but the risk of GA in a young healthy dog is very low. You can't do any sort of a job without GA- "anaesthetic free dentistry!" is a load of crap as you can't work throughly around the gumline which is the most important bit (gum disease and the resulting attachment loss WAAAY more common than cavities in dogs, which are uncommon). Small breeds like yours more prone to gum disease too.
It's worth perservering with the toothbrushing for a few weeks first though, so you can perfect your technique and the dog becomes well used to it, so you can hit the ground running and brush effectively once you have a nice clean slate after the scale and polish rather than having tartar build up quickly again while you and the dog are learning.

Summerwood1 Tue 15-Mar-16 20:25:44

Thanks for the advice. I've bought some plaque off. I'll see how it goes,if it doesn't shift at all I'll think about getting him in for a scale and polish.

EasyToEatTiger Fri 18-Mar-16 20:47:52

It really depends on what you think and what kind of dog you keep. I have found butchers bones are really good at cleaning teeth. I also feed dry food. None of our dogs (collies) have suffered from tooth problems, not even our really oldie who reached the age of 18. It is worth looking at what you are feeding. I have seen that people who feed raw diets have dogs with really good teeth. The raw diet is not for me, but occasional treats from the butcher can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now