Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Help with family dog for newbies!

(11 Posts)
Dinkydoos Thu 10-Mar-16 17:17:27

Not had a dog before but kids have been desperate for years
We both work but could take dog in to office as its just us! Plus we only work 9-3
Want an affectionate and calm dog that doesn't need tons of excercise
Dh likes Bulldogs, French and old Tyme ones. Kids like French Bulldogs and pugs but tbh would live anything at all!
I like golden retriever type but think that prob too much work excercise plus all the hair!
Friends have cavapoo which is lovely
Any advice massively appreciated!

CMOTDibbler Thu 10-Mar-16 17:27:18

If they are coming to work with you, then you want a dog that will be content to just snooze with you in the day. So I'd recommend a greyhound/whippet/lurcher as they are so chilled between mad zoomies of doing things. I work from home so we go out in the morning/lunchtime/evening and in between they snore under my desk or in the sun.

Dinkydoos Thu 10-Mar-16 17:35:45

Good point!
And am wondering if we should get a dog that is past puppy stage so that we know it's personality more?
Maybe from a rescue? Or do mainly these dogs come with issues?

AKissACuddleAndACheekyFinger Thu 10-Mar-16 17:45:39

Our Labrador came fromGuide Dogs for the Blind. They sell (or at least used to-she is four) the dogs who have done the training but not made the grade-our dog jumps at loud noises still so she was no good for what they needed but that was all that was 'wrong'. She came to us beautifully trained already and past tiny puppy stage although young enough to still have bounce and bond with us. GDFTB did two home checks I seem to recall and as I take her to work with me they asked for proof this was accepted and how long she would be left. I think we paid about £500 for her-give or take but it was a very reasonable figure. You have to apply through them and we were not able to insist on a dog or a bitch I don't think but she is just perfect. Labs are bomb proof dogs for children too (if such a thing exists) and so affectionate but I'm biased.

AKissACuddleAndACheekyFinger Thu 10-Mar-16 17:46:50

Ps we then got her PAT dog accredited and we take her to the local care homes to spend time with residents who used to have dogs but can't have them in care. She loves it, we love it and most importantly the residents love her xx

CMOTDibbler Thu 10-Mar-16 17:48:11

A puppy is very hard work, and really not great if you are trying to work (out every 15 mins to somewhere they can pee/poo for instance!).

There are many dogs in rescue without issues - some like Dogmatix are much loved and their owners are massively upset to have to rehome them through no fault, or there are dogs like Oscar who have been through a lot but are still lovely and unaffected by it all.
When a rescue have their dogs in foster they know a lot more about them than dogs in kennels, and can really tell you what they are like in a home setting

Dinkydoos Fri 11-Mar-16 17:05:14

Ooh nearly wept looking at Oscar there cmot !!
Prob going to wait till August as away at Easter and first bit of summer holidays so a bit soon to be leaving a dog!
Anyone any experience of Tibetan terriers, are they a bit manic?

Dieu Sat 12-Mar-16 05:10:01

I have a Shih Tzu and now that we're past the toilet training stage (which wasn't easy, I'll admit!), I'm pleasantly speaking by how easy he is. Relatively speaking, of course! Like you, we're first time dog owners and he's pretty perfect as far as things go.

DixieNormas Sun 10-Apr-16 22:18:46

I've had terriers in the past and they were hard work.

like Dieu we now have a shih tzu and although we haven't cracked the toileting yet (he's only 12 weeks) he is the loveliest natured and by far the easiest dog we've ever hd

frenchiepup Mon 11-Apr-16 15:43:55

We have a french bulldog, he is happy to just chill as long as he has had a nice walk. But he loves to be on the go. Given the chance he will run and play all day. He is very good with all other dogs and children. Very affectionate and loves a good cuddle!!

The first month of toilet training was tough as he needed to go out very regularly but was completely toilet trained within the month.

puggymummy1 Mon 11-Apr-16 18:12:50

I would recommend a pug. They love company and a very happy to snooze. They do enjoy walks and training too. My pug was a dream to house break.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now