Talk

Advanced search

Do I need to rehome my lovely dog? I really hope not!

(12 Posts)
Lauresbadhairday Wed 09-Mar-16 16:11:31

I adopted a 6yr old greyhound girl last year. At the moment I work 4 days per week leaving at 8.30 and home by 4 at the latest. I have a dog walker who comes in around 11am for 45mins. So she is left for a maximum of 4.5hrs but I am often home by 3.30. Anyway due to unforeseen circumstances I need to change my hours of work and increase my days to 5 per week. It will mean not getting home until 5.30 on one day. I can afford to have my dog walker in for the extra day but can't really afford her twice in a day as well on my long day. I'm not sure about day care as my grey loves peace and quiet and I think might find it stressful but I guess this might be an option on my long day. My dog walker can't come any later due to other commitments but she is reliable so I am loathe to find another dog walker.

Is it ok to leave my dog for 5.5hrs one day per week and to continue with our current regime for the other 4 days? I am beginning to wonder whether she would be happier with a family who are around more - hence the thread title.

Branleuse Wed 09-Mar-16 16:18:40

I think your dog will be fine, its only one day thats slightly longer. Why dont you see how it goes and whether doggy seems stressed by it

MaynJune Wed 09-Mar-16 18:17:36

I agree that she'll probably be fine. She's used to you being out so it isn't too much of a change for her, and greyhounds love to sleep.

confusedandemployed Wed 09-Mar-16 18:19:14

Yes, I'm sure she'll be OK. I will very occasionally leave my JRTs for 6hrs max. There are two of them though.

ArcheryAnnie Wed 09-Mar-16 18:22:09

Could you borrow a webcam and set it up, or leave a laptop open with the camera facing into where you leave your dog? Then you can see how she really behaves when you are out, and if she's distressed at all. If this is possible, I'd do it now with your current hours, and when you are working longer.

(Knowing greyhounds, it'll just mean an extra hour on the sofa....)

LetThereBeCupcakes Wed 09-Mar-16 18:23:04

I'm sure she'll be fine! My labs had a similar schedule when I worked full time. I now work part time and get the distinct impression ddog2 resents the imposition. hmm

We do stuff in the evenings like agility and obedience which tires them out the next day too.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 09-Mar-16 18:29:43

I think she'll be fine. Much better she stays with you.

I'm not condoning this at all but I know people who work full time and don't have a dog walker who say their dogs are fine!

My dog is left three days a week for 8 hours each day with a dog walker coming in every day and she seems ok.

nattyknitter Wed 09-Mar-16 18:49:14

I left a webcam on to watch what my dog gets up to while I was out for a few hours.

She mostly slept on her bed, had a brief bark at the postman and played fetch by herself with a squeaky ball. She also had a bit of a nose round to see if there was anything worth pinching off the cupboards. (Sadly not).

Essentially all fo the same things she does while I am in. I make an effort to walk her before I go out and as soon as I get in.

I am sure your dog will be fine at the slightly longer timeframe.

Lauresbadhairday Wed 09-Mar-16 18:53:00

Thanks all. I guess I just feel guilty leaving her now so worried about how I will feel having to leave her every day and for longer on one day. I think you are right as she seems fine with her current regime and even when I'm at home spends most of the time sleeping. She does love company and I hate the thought of her being lonely.

Before we got her I had no idea how much worry she would cause! We all love her and want what's best for her but needs must on the work front unfortunately..

rescueremedy1104 Wed 09-Mar-16 20:28:28

No way would I rehome with that schedule.

Good dog walkers are worth keeping imho. I'd go with it and see how everything looks. Signs of distress? Accidents in the home?

I highly doubt it. Greyhounds are likely to enjoy the extra rest smile

Lauresbadhairday Thu 10-Mar-16 19:35:01

Ok. So I thought she was fine at home with current regime but when I got home today just after 4 she had upturned the bin and weed on the floor. Does this suggest she is distressed? This is the first time she has done this so maybe need to wait and see if it happens again?

rescueremedy1104 Thu 10-Mar-16 20:22:02

My lurcher would upturn the bin if I was in the next room hmm. It's very normal for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now