Talk

Advanced search

Why do all the dogs want to hump my six month old unneutered boy?

(7 Posts)
Scone1nSixtySeconds Sat 05-Mar-16 08:26:57

And they are absolutely set on it. sad

SconeSpaniel is an unneutered 6.5 months old show cocker. He is lovely no bias here friendly and outgoing. Learning that some dogs don't want to play and has got really good at saying hello and then leaving them alone.

But there is a group of dogs at the park that follow him around and try to mount him. Occasionally their owners halfheartedly say "oh no, don't do that" but it doesn't stop them. They don't actually play any more, just chase until they can straddle him.

The major offenders are a 2yr male, neutered cocker, a 14 month old male neutered Border Terrier and they have taught a female unneutered 16 week old Border collie/lab cross to do the same.

SconeSpaniel is just a lovely boy, he doesn't like it but he doesn't bark or growl or even try to get them off most of the time, but he does try to manoeuvre himself towards me so that I can help.

Is it him? Is there something I can do (other than avoid the park?). His recall is really good so at the moment I walk off, call him and he follows. As do the other dogs. sad

tadpole39 Sat 05-Mar-16 09:50:29

My boy is 8 months and unfettered, the other dogs don't want to hump him, they want to dominate him! He's in that teen stage of selective deafness and loves other dogs, even on a long lead they have him down, straddle him and he's screaming! It's v traumatic. A dog walker said it's because he's entire but iwasnt planning on neutering yet. Don't 'really know what to do. 😢

tadpole39 Sat 05-Mar-16 09:51:18

unneutered not unfettered!

lulucappuccino Sat 05-Mar-16 09:54:22

At what age will you neuter him?

I hope you're not the type to NOT neuter!

Scone1nSixtySeconds Sat 05-Mar-16 10:01:40

Was that to me lulu ?

Actually as he seems to be fairly submissive I am not planning on neutering at all - I will get him a vasectomy or injection.

That sounds difficult tadpole - I don't want it to be a trauma to go for a walk.

3rdrockfromthesun Sat 05-Mar-16 10:49:41

You should only neuter if the dog can cock his leg when peeing confidently for a month. The people who owned my dog before me neutered him at six months whey too early

tadpole39 Sat 05-Mar-16 10:55:12

I will definitely neuter, tadog has been cocking since 4 months but there is so much conflicting info out there I'm not sure when. But if it stops him being attacked then tomorrow! Scone, it's always difficult to get other people to stop their dogs doing things, I don't really know what the answer is except be forceful with the owner's that you both don't like it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now