Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have a Patterdale?

(17 Posts)
29PaddingtonSt Fri 04-Mar-16 11:59:25

We have been looking for a second dog for a while. We have met a six month old Patterdale this morning who is lovely. I know nothing about Patterdales and don't know anyone who has one. Having done some research I have some reservations but the rescue centre think he would be a good match for our family. We have children and cats and he has been fine with cats that they've introduced him to. Does anyone have personal experience?

Oswin Fri 04-Mar-16 12:06:07

Ours is 6 now and loves our cats and even gets along with the neighbours cats. She liked my hamster too.
She's a very jumpy dog, we have to do a lot a cuddling.
Very energetic but as long as she had good walks you barley hear a peep out of her.

She adores the children, especially dd age six.
She's always to be found lying at her feet.

I have a real fondness for patterdales, they do require some hard work but it's so very rewarding.

TheFlyingFauxPas Fri 04-Mar-16 12:08:49

I got put off patterdales by a doggiwise friend. I went to see some puppies and they were lovely but friend said if I got one she wouldn't visit. According to her they're one step away from a staffy. Though I have only met wonderful friendly soft staffies there's no way I would pick one to live with me and ds. She also said if one got hold of another animal etc there's no way my ds would be able to get him off. They look lovely dogs. A neighbour has one and she can't talk highly enough of them. She does have lots of experience however. I'm. Sure some peeps will come on here and say what wonderful family pets they make but personally I wouldn't.

TheFlyingFauxPas Fri 04-Mar-16 12:10:48

Oswin beat me to it 😁

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Fri 04-Mar-16 12:14:55

Two (different) friends have them and they're very nice. Neither friend has a cat though so no idea on that. One friend her dog has caught and killed rabbits when out walking.

Floralnomad Fri 04-Mar-16 12:31:59

I have a Patterdale x ( prob JRT) , he is not small animal friendly . I would have a look at the Patterdale rescue site , most patties make very affectionate pets but they are generally not good with other dogs , not necessarily aggressive but very aloof . Recall can also be an issue , mine goes off lead in safe areas ( no woods/ livestock/ ponds) but I know a couple of others and they do not go off lead at all . I also know of a lady who had a patterdale pup and already had a cat , everything seemed fine and they seemed to get along and suddenly at about 6/7 months old she came home to find that the pup had savaged the cat . She rehomed the dog and the cat did survive after extensive treatment.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 04-Mar-16 12:41:16

My Dad had a Fell Terrier (they're similar to Pats) she was lovely & adored me & all my friends & younger cousins (I was 9 or 10 when we got her). Regarding small furries, she was fine with my hamster, the guinea pigs, neighbouring cats that she'd known from 'puppyhood' & hedgehogs. She would follow a line & occasionally try & go to ground when out though. That being said her recall was pretty good as long as you were aware of where she was at all times, it was if she was already on a scent that she'd turn deaf.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 04-Mar-16 12:42:34

She was fine with my older 3 DC when they were in the baby stage too (she'd never met a baby before them).

GERTgert06 Fri 04-Mar-16 13:52:37

I had a 1 year old Patterdale from a rescue. He got on fine with my two cats, once he realised that they were in charge. He was a total wimp, other dogs would bully him. He was very trainable, and loved to do tricks (for food). He had a healthy life for 14 years. I still miss him.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 04-Mar-16 14:21:41

We've had a mixed experience with patterdales- when Ddog was 5 months old we were walking through some bushes when suddenly a patterdale rushed up to him out of nowhere, knocked my pup off his feet and kept rolling him over every time he tried to get up - my pup was screaming and terrified - the owner managed to get him off and apologised and I since learned that this particular dog hates puppies and will go after them on sight

My dog was very wary of similar-looking dogs for a while but we've since got to know another patterdale who's absolutely fine

29PaddingtonSt Fri 04-Mar-16 16:16:08

Thank you everyone. I'm still conflicted and don't want to let my heart rule my head. The rescue are very insistent he is the perfect dog for us but I need more time to think.

TheFlyingFauxPas Fri 04-Mar-16 17:19:27

I fostered dd before adopting. Could this be an option?

Floralnomad Fri 04-Mar-16 20:03:28

I would not get a patterdale if I had a cat ,unless you can always keep them separate or supervised

ABetaDad1 Fri 04-Mar-16 20:15:56

They are a working breed of dog, in particular designed to kill foxes and badgers.

As a type they are typically 'terrier', confident, aggressive, inquisitive and generally better when worked rather than kept as a house pet.

I would never keep a dog of ay kind and especially like this breed with small children or other small animals.

They are very game dogs and a joy to have as a working dog but kept in a house without an outlets for their natural behaviour mode they may be difficult. Not every single dog of a certain breed is the same of course but as a generality a working terrier breed needs to have an outlet for its natural instinct and its inevitable that if that outlets is not present then undesirable behaviour will result.

cherrytree63 Tue 08-Mar-16 17:07:35

I have a Patterdale bitch who needs rehoming, she was supposed to be with me short term while my DP's friends were in temporary accommodation, two years later she's still here and they can't have her back.
She's a cross between a lapdog and a ferocious ratter! Wasn't at all interested in my old cat in the house, but pulls like a train if she sees one in the street! Gets on fine with my other dogs (doesn't want to play with them, but happy to share beds and food bowls). Doesn't even look at other dogs we meet, but will grumble if they get in her face.
She was a bit neglected in her last home, very fat and curled over claws so don't think she got much, if any, exercise, and was very shy as they had a toddler who used to pull her about, (so I would say she's good with children).
Recall is iffy, reasonable in open parks, little to none in wooded areas. i don't know if she would have been different if her last home was better though.

Pegglebot Tue 08-Mar-16 17:21:38

I had a Patterdale, he was a pain in the arse in many ways. At best aloof with other dogs and at worst aggressive, I think this is quite a common issue with the breed.

He escapes numerous times from our house, dug massive holes, attempted to kill anything small and furry that moved, I've had terriers before but he was far far hard work.

But...he was brilliant with the kids and extremely loving, quiet and lazy in the house. Still don't think I'd ever have another though, he was too much terrier for me!

Pegglebot Tue 08-Mar-16 17:24:23

Oh and I should add, recall practically non existant unless we were at the beach (no interesting smells!) at the woods or the moors though he was like a creature possessed and not at all fun to walk, it was like trying to control a wild animal! Good luck whatever you decide but really have a good think about it. Our patt was a rescue and seemed so sweet and quiet in his cage, I really had no idea what I was taking on and I can't say owning him was enjoyable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now