Talk

Advanced search

Any tips for introducing my small fluffy puppy to my Mums new ex racing greyhound?

(11 Posts)
Deadnettle Thu 03-Mar-16 10:20:33

Mums new greyhound was adopted on Tuesday and seems to be settling in well. She was tested with a small dog at the kennels and was fine.

My puppy is an 8 month old miniature poodle, who is fine with large dogs. We have never had any issues at all with her meeting new dogs.

We are planning to go for a walk together before entering the house. We will keep the greyhound muzzled at first. Anything else we should be doing? I want to make sure that the greyhound knows the poodle is a dog and not a small furry thing to chase! I don't mind if this takes time.

We weren't going to visit until next weekend at the earliest to give the greyhound time to settle in but I forgot about mothers day blush Is Sunday to soon to visit? We can wait until next weekend or the weekend after if its better for the greyhound.

The greyhound looks so lovely and I am so excited to meet her!

ScattyHattie Thu 03-Mar-16 11:02:44

Has the greyhound been ok on walks so far around other dogs? It can be quite a culture shock early on as in racing kennels they may only have known other greyhounds so can be a bit unsure as to what other breeds are. It doesn't help that in many dog walking spots there's rude dogs that charge over with an inappropriate greeting style that owners class as "friendly" but is akin to a stranger running over getting in our personal space even if they go onto hug rather than punch you it wouldn't be comfortable.

If so then a walk together sounds sensible though keep some distance between dogs before allowing an introduction so they've had time to accept each others presence. As for when it depends if your going to have time to devote to watching the dogs on mother's day & if you've somewhere for your dog if its not going to plan or separate whilst you can't supervise well like during dinner.
I would avoid letting them outside in garden together early on as chase excitement can overspill & some sighthounds can play roughly

ScattyHattie Thu 03-Mar-16 11:24:30

All 3 of my greyhounds have been fine with small dogs, 2 quickly proved to be safe & 3rd took about 6months to realise other breeds were also dogs, I probably wouldn't let her run with small dogs but she has a very high prey drive & is a bit stupid muzzles prevent bites but doesn't stop injury

Deadnettle Thu 03-Mar-16 12:12:40

Thanks ScattyHattie.

The greyhound has shown very little interest in other dogs so far on walks but its far to early to tell, they only got her on tuesday afternoon! The small dog she met at the kennels sounded very rude, it ran under the greyhound but she very good and ignored it.

There will be no running around together for a long time, and we can take everything very slowly. I would rather be extra careful than risk injury to my dog.

It would be easy to keep the dogs seperate if needed on mothers day and they will be watched 100% of the time.

I'm more concerned that it will be too soon after mum got her if we visit on sunday. Would it be better to give her longer to settle in? She will have only been there 6 days on sunday!

Deadnettle Fri 04-Mar-16 13:56:29

Is it too soon to visit the new greyhound my mum on sunday? I want to give the greyhound the best start in her new home so I don't want to upset her by visiting with my dog.

PacificDogwod Fri 04-Mar-16 18:12:24

We've had a rescue greyhound for 10 months now; he was 18 months old when we got him.
He is fine with other breeds now, but I did have one horrible experience with a small, white fluffy dog in the first few weeks of owning him. Thankfully the other dog was fine (and had the world's most understanding owner!), but it was a timely reminder of just how fast and strong greys are.
He picked her up by the nape and rag dolled her - it really was just luck that she was fine. It was not an aggressive move (which was why I had not seen it coming - inexperienced sighthound owner, me), but just 'fun' - he was having a lovely time, all loose bodies and waggy-tailed shockhmm.
It took him some time to understand that other dogs can come in all sizes, shapes and colours.
I am still very careful around dogs much smaller than him and don't hang about, just move him along.

My advice would be to give it a bit of time - let your mum walk her new dog and give her lots of opportunity to meet other dogs. Then do initial meeting with muzzle, lots of treats and well supervised. And DON'T allow your dog to run away - sure fire way to set mine speeding after something running away from him. A cat that faces him and hisses, he leaves alone; one that runs away, he'll chase. Now, all dogs I have every lived with will have gone after a cat given the chance, but none were ever fast enough to actually get one whereas greys are like greased lightening, so beware!

Good luck, hope it all goes very well. I am sure she'll get to know and like new friends smile

Deadnettle Fri 04-Mar-16 18:39:20

Thanks, it looks like we won't be going to see mum on sunday now as she's not feeling well. The greyhound is fine as dsis and her boyfriend live there too. Mum says the greyhound is an amazing dog, whose only fault so far is her lack of food manners.

The greyhound seems to want to play with other dogs she meets so I am hopeful that she will be trustworthy with my poodle eventually.

Both dogs will be on lead when they meet and the greyhound will definately be muzzled. I am fine with it taking lots of time for the greyhound to get use to my little dog, I would rather be too careful than not careful enough.

I sadly know of several dogs who have died from been ragged by sighthounds and one dog that died after been hit with a paw. I never worried about my poor broken collie in the same way I worry about my tiny poodle!

MiaowTheCat Fri 04-Mar-16 18:42:31

My retired greyhound used to be chased around the house by a three legged cat! (Both now sadly departed through old age- not their Tom and Jerry routine)

Deadnettle Fri 04-Mar-16 19:18:41

Miaow that is a wonderful image!

Redroses11 Fri 04-Mar-16 19:24:02

I would keep the greyhound on a very tight lead (basically, at heel) until I could figure out how it was reacting to small dog.

MiaowTheCat Fri 04-Mar-16 19:42:37

First and most useful thing I taught our grey was a watch me command- made teaching her to meet other dogs much easier when she'd just sit and stare at me for a treat (she was quite a rare grey in that she would not only do a proper sit, but on command as well)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now