Talk

Advanced search

Puppy poop problem!

(7 Posts)
ImBrian Wed 02-Mar-16 23:02:16

My pup is just over 5 months old and is now clean in the house overnight and during the day apart from this. The problem I'm having is that he's taken to going up into my dds bedroom, pooing and eating it! I've caught him a few times in the last couple of weeks.

Tonight I'd put him outside, he came in and took himself off up to bed (or so I thought) but when I came up he was in their having a snack!

He's not been told off just put outside, he doesn't poo any where else in the house and 99% of the time goes in the garden. Could it be a smell? Do I need to clean all the carpets or is it normal teenager puppy behaviour? He does occasionally eat poo in the garden as well dirty toad.

ImBrian Wed 02-Mar-16 23:03:15

In there!!!

Catzpyjamas Wed 02-Mar-16 23:08:28

Dogs can often eat faeces as they are missing a nutrient in their diet .... or because they are being naughty and like getting attention (good or bad).
Feed a good puppy food, have a chat with your vet and try not to give too much attention when he does it. Don't shout or react and don't let him see you clean it up.

Lokibuddyboo Wed 02-Mar-16 23:41:47

Try feeding a little pineapple to him as it does something to the poop that stops a dog from eating it ( makes it taste bad apparently lol)
It works, my friends dog was notorious for eating poop his own or if he could other dogs as they were pooping it he'd be eating it (sorry tmi) but feeding him pineapple stopped him eating his own anyway.

pigsDOfly Thu 03-Mar-16 00:09:24

Eating poo is an instinctive behaviour for dogs. Bitches do it to keep the nest clean so predators won't be attracted.

As pp said pineapple is supposed to help to stop them eating their own.

You're right not to tell him off, he's just following normal dog behaviour. Are you still taking him outside regularly? He's still very young and might not have completely grasped house training yet.

I would clean the area where he's pooed in your DD's bedroom thoroughly so he's not attracted to going back there. Johnsons make a very good product called 'Odour and Stain remover' that you can buy in most pet shops.

You might still have to be vigilant when he's wandering around the house on his own so you can catch him before he gets the chance to poo.

ImBrian Thu 03-Mar-16 07:12:04

Hi, thanks for the advice. I'll definitely try the pineapple.

He goes outside regularly sometimes he's been out just before he does it.

At least he's cleaning up after himself confused

Catzpyjamas Thu 03-Mar-16 07:35:30

Please be very careful if you're giving him pineapple - tiny piece and no seeds. Be aware that it may also cause diarrhoea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now