How difficult are two dogs compared to one?

(8 Posts)
Stradbroke Wed 02-Mar-16 10:40:24

We are looking for a dog for the family. We are looking for a rescue dog (can't believe how hard it is!) we have been looking for one dog however a pair have come up that seem ideal on paper but they must be homed together. They are shi tzu and have been in a family before.
My thoughts are that with two they can keep each other company (I am home but likely to be in and out) however the purpose of a dog is as a buddy for our son. Would that be less likely as they would buddy each other?

Could someone let me know the advantages and disadvantages or two versus one?

Many thank

Stradbroke Wed 02-Mar-16 11:00:29

Oh dear. Obviously that should say how difficult are two dogs compared to one.

tabulahrasa Wed 02-Mar-16 12:58:09

This is just me, but I read must be rehomed together as...have issues with being too closely bonded to each other.

Without finding out why they need to go together though, it's kind of impossible to say what sort of issues...I'd take on two if it was, can be homed separately but would prefer them to go together, but I'd be a bit wary about must be together.

I could be wrong though and it's just a case of, well people may well be willing to take on two small dogs so might as well keep them together.

Stradbroke Wed 02-Mar-16 13:38:02

It says they MUST be rehomed together as they are glued together.

What would be the issue with being too closely bonded together?

Branleuse Wed 02-Mar-16 13:50:57

i think two dogs is not much more trouble than one, in fact in some ways its easier as they keep each other company if you go out.

Its a bit more of a pain if you want to go on holiday, finding people who will watch them, and obviously twice the food, but i think it sounds like its at least worth a trial

sparechange Wed 02-Mar-16 13:59:55

It very much depends on the dogs and your lifestyle...
Two dogs isn't much more work if they are both fine off-lead and have good recall and need similar amounts of exercise. You walk them as normal...
If they are quiet in the house and in pubs etc, it isn't too bad either.

Two dogs would mean double the kennel fees when on holiday, and it could be more difficult to find someone to walk/look after 2 dogs if you are away for a day.

However, two dogs who are totally inseparable could be a pain, especially if they are littermates (Look up littermate syndrome)
I'd be wary of possible separation anxiety issues, and also how independent or otherwise they would be off lead - if the 'lead' dog won't come back when called, or goes to investigate a picnic, you won't have a hope of calling the other dog back if it just blindly follows dog 1, so you then have double the problem, for example...

tabulahrasa Wed 02-Mar-16 14:01:21

If they're too closely bonded to each other...firstly it affects their bond with humans, secondly it can cause behavioural issues - have a google of littermate syndrome.

Two dogs under normal circumstances isn't twice the work, it's not that there's two of them that's the problem, it's a specific issue if they're too dependant on each other because they've been raised together.

sparechange Wed 02-Mar-16 14:55:15

Great minds, Tabul wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now