Talk

Advanced search

Looking at insurance - what's th difference between mixed breed and cross breed?

(15 Posts)
Roseberrry Mon 29-Feb-16 13:44:31

I thought it was the same thing. My dog is a beagle x cockerpoo so I'm unsure what to put him as.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Mon 29-Feb-16 13:51:59

A cross breed is a cross between two pedigree dogs eg a cocker spaniel and a poodle

A mixed breed is what used to be called a Heinz 57 ... Once you start adding more breeds to the mix you're going to get an almost infinite number of variations in looks, temperament etc

Which category is cheaper to insure?

Roseberrry Mon 29-Feb-16 14:06:42

Mixed breed seems to be cheaper so far, only just though.

God it's a mine field this insurance stuff, as soon as i think I've found a good one I read the reviews and find everyone saying the premium goes up a ridiculous amount each year. Is this the same with all insurers?

sparechange Mon 29-Feb-16 14:06:47

Cross breed is 2 breeds crossed. A mixed breed is 3 or more
Realistically, I don't think an insurer will split hairs over the two, but yours sounds like a mixed breed
What is the difference in premiums?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 29-Feb-16 14:11:53

God it's a mine field this insurance stuff, as soon as i think I've found a good one I read the reviews and find everyone saying the premium goes up a ridiculous amount each year. Is this the same with all insurers? Yes , sadly it's the case with most of them.

Roseberrry Mon 29-Feb-16 14:16:00

There's not much difference in the premiums to be honest.

So if they're all the same is there much point going with a pricier one like pet plan? I'm happy to pay more for a better service but if they will do the same then I'd rather save for now and go with someone like M&S. It's so confusing!

TrionicLettuce Mon 29-Feb-16 16:31:10

PetPlan have a very good reputation for paying out and for not hiking premiums up massively every year.

It's also worth checking which insurers your vet will deal with directly. Depending on the vet and insurer some will expect you to pay up front then claim it back.

Spanielcrackers Mon 29-Feb-16 16:59:29

I have Petplan and they have not loaded my premiums despite two of my dogs having expensive medical bills.
I've used them for 15 years. They've always paid out.

MiaowTheCat Mon 29-Feb-16 17:05:56

Mixed breed = mutt
Cross breed = mutt with aspirations who'd probably shop at Waitrose if dogs could.

BernardlookImaprostituterobotf Mon 29-Feb-16 18:01:00

You have a mixed breed or mongrel as pup is the result of a crossbreed bred with a beagle.

I'm an RVN and we don't recommend particular insurance companies, but I use Petplan and consider, from experience, that it is a good investment.

Miaow grin 'There's been a mistake on her registration, she's a pedigree Cockapoo/Cavapoo/Sprocker not a crossbreed' <sigh>

Roseberrry Mon 29-Feb-16 18:09:20

Fab, thank you. I think I will go with pet plan then as they seem to have a good rep.

If I was to put him as a cross what would it be called? I don't think they've invented a fancy name for him yet!

BernardlookImaprostituterobotf Tue 01-Mar-16 04:48:12

He's not a cross though, he's a mixed breed or mongrel. A Cockerpoo is not a recognised breed of dog and is a crossbreed. A crossbreed bred with a Beagle, a third breed of dog, is a mongrel. That is his fancy name.

Apart from being required to fill in the forms honestly and to the best of your knowledge, you may even find that crossbreed premiums are higher. I imagine his parents, or grandparents etc in the crossbreed's case, had no genetic or health testing? If they have (and you should have seen all of the certificates) this is can help you make a decision about the level of cover you feel comfortable getting - for example genetic testing can rule out a specific condition completely in pedigrees. Hip scores/Eye testing - good scores are required here but they are snapshot tests which is why they must be repeated. Beagles are required to use the KC/BVA health screens and Dna testing is considered mandatory for KC assured breeders and is strongly advised for all breeders, this is taken as read by good breeders but they don't let their dogs be used to make crosses - was the Beagle parent a fully health tested dog? If I had an untested pedigree and no health information on a Cockerpoo (Cocker, Poodle and Beagle - joints and eyes are a shared risk for all) then I'd be paying for Ultimate. Personally. It is a personal risk assessment though and knowing what you can afford and the dog's history ofc.

sparechange Tue 01-Mar-16 10:04:18

Bernard,
Completely agree with most of what you've said, but hip and eye scores aren't repeated...
The first score done is the one that stays on the dog's KC record for life. Even if you did go to the trouble of having them redone (and I've not known anyone redo them unless KC deems the first x-ray invalid for scoring), the original score is the only one you are allowed to use

BernardlookImaprostituterobotf Tue 01-Mar-16 18:05:36

Sorry, no that was rubbish phrasing on my part, I wasn't referring to Hip scores being repeated but eye tests. I was thinking about eye tests as I was writing and completely overlooked the world's worst grammar and that I'd limped hip scores in with a /
BVA still recommended annual eye testing to catch late onset conditions.

BernardlookImaprostituterobotf Tue 01-Mar-16 18:06:17

Limped? Lumped them in together.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now