Talk

Advanced search

When do dogs stop needing a wee in the night?

(20 Posts)
jgm Mon 29-Feb-16 12:09:33

Our dog is 10 months old, and I'd say 4 nights out of 7 she will wake up once in the night needing the toilet. She definitely needs it as she will go straight outside, have a wee, then get straight back in bed and go to sleep. She sleeps in our room, not crated, and scratches at the door when she wants to be let out.

She has her evening meal about 7pm and we always make sure she goes out for a wee about 11pm before my husband goes to bed. Any advice? Is this usual for this age and she will grow out of it, or should we be encouraging her in some way? She's fully toilet trained and doesn't have any accidents in the day.

Floralnomad Mon 29-Feb-16 12:35:25

We got our pup at 15/16 weeks ( rescue) and although he wasn't house trained he was dry overnight from then . I reckon it's habit , I'd try telling dog to go back to bed and see what happens .

ChairRider4 Mon 29-Feb-16 14:18:36

Is she actually having a wee at 11 I started walking round block about 9.30 ish to make sure he defintlry been

dottygamekeeper Mon 29-Feb-16 16:21:30

Our springer pup is 8 months old and hasn't needed a wee in the night since she was probably about 4 months old. Initially she was crated at night, now she just has the run of the kitchen, but we never have a puddle at night time now (and haven't had any accidents for a month or so during the day).

Do you let her out several times during the evening ie just after her meal, then a couple of times before the final 11pm wee (and supervise to make sure she does it). For a while I actually took mine for a short walk at 11pm to ensure several wees and poos were done.

miserablemoo Mon 29-Feb-16 16:37:03

Hi

My ten month old boy doesn't wee at night and hasn't done so since about 4 months old. He goes out before I go to bed so anything between 10pm - 11.30pm and has a wee and more often than not a poo and he will wait till morning so 7.30am - 8.30am (weekend).

He has his tea between 5 and half past. He tends to have a good drink of water before 8pm so he's emptying this on his last wee of the night. Is she drinking late in the evening?

I bet it's hard getting up at night with it being so cold!

It could be habit. Is she definitely having a wee when you let her out?

jgm Mon 29-Feb-16 16:51:20

Thanks all - she's definitely needing to go when she asks to in the night, but I've just realised that she's probably not going much in the run up to 11pm, so I might try sending her out a few times late evening or even add a late walk. My husband is in charge of the 11pm trip but he does say she does go - I will double check with him though! Now I know its not 'normal' we can work on it!

Floralnomad Mon 29-Feb-16 16:58:32

The fact that she always wees in the middle of the night when you let her out doesn't mean she can't hold onto it until the morning , so you can still tell her to go back to bed otherwise she will never learn to hold on until it's appropriate .

29PaddingtonSt Mon 29-Feb-16 17:25:00

We got our dog at 8 weeks old and he has never needed to wee in the night. Does she have access to water in the night? Our dog sleeps in his crate and doesn't have a water bowl in there so can't drink anything. Maybe she is drinking after you've gone to bed.

Floralnomad Mon 29-Feb-16 17:27:41

Dogs should have access to water at all times .

WeAllHaveWings Mon 29-Feb-16 17:47:41

Ours hasnt needed outside at night since 12 weeks old.

Can you measure how much she is drinking, is there maybe an underlying issue that causes her to drink too much? Id try a couple of nights not letting her out and if she still wees (unfortunately inside) then off to vets.

jgm Mon 29-Feb-16 17:55:35

She doesn't drink a massive amount to be honest and not at night because the bowl is downstairs and she's up with us. She is raw fed if that makes any difference. I'm going to get tougher though and ignore her asking to go out and see what happens - because it's not every night and only ever once we've kind of just gone with it, but I'm fed up of being woken up! We'd kind of assumed it was still normal at this age so glad I asked!

suz1rr Mon 29-Feb-16 23:39:51

My male dog didn't pee during the night from about 10 weeks and my girl was about 14 weeks, so by 10months I definetly expect a dry night!

Missanneshirley Tue 01-Mar-16 00:18:30

I have a 13 week pup who is going approx 6-7 hrs - we are still taking him out quite late, eg he's just been out and peed and pooed now (midnight) but with a bit of luck that's him till 6:30ish. I'm hoping the midnight trip can eventually become the 11pm trip tho!

LyndaNotLinda Tue 01-Mar-16 00:24:31

My puppy is 9 months and can go without a wee for nearly 12 hours! He can't be arsed to get up and go out first thing.

You could try feeding her a bit earlier? All the animals here are fed at 5-6 pm

Springermum1350 Tue 01-Mar-16 10:35:27

Mine has just turned one. But has been 'dry' for ages. His last wee is between 10 and 10.30pm. When I try to show him out at 7 he just sniffs the air and walks back inside. If it's raining he doesn't even go out he just looks at me as if I'm mad.

jgm Wed 02-Mar-16 09:47:03

Well two nights of making sure she goes out a few times after tea and she's not woken up in the night :-)

endofmytethertake100 Wed 02-Mar-16 20:05:10

If it makes you feel better mine did till just over a year old and was still having accidents, I thought she'd never be house trained. However now she goes out at about 11 then takes herself to bed (in my room!) then only gets up when I get out of bed anywhere between 6-10am and she goes straight out. It's great I never thought I'd get a lie in again or a full nights sleep so there's hope. I found after she was spayed it improved but probably unrelated!

lighteningirl Wed 02-Mar-16 20:08:37

Mine went thru from about four months but he has a dog flap and occasionally goes out at night if he hears foxes I think. He doesn't get up til about 9 30ish so goes for at least 12 hours, I think it's habit for your ddog

dottygamekeeper Wed 02-Mar-16 23:13:37

Good to hear you have had a couple of undisturbed nights - may be it was a combination of habit, and needing more trips outside during the evening. Our pup usually wees as soon as she is let outside, but if I leave her a bit longer she will often do a second one too.

As others have said, as well, may be feed slightly earlier too: our old spaniel starts to ask for her dinnner from 5pm onwards.

Fingers crossed for you that you can continue the unbroken nights.

miserablemoo Wed 02-Mar-16 23:24:21

Good news jgm! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now