Talk

Advanced search

rehoming a rescue dog

(96 Posts)
lemonymelanie Sun 28-Feb-16 11:39:45

Hello, I'm new in the doghouse, but hope to become a regular :-)

Have been looking for a dog in rescue shelters to rehome and yesterday we found her! She is gorgoeus, a sort of staffy cross - so gentle and friendly. We are going to see her again today, and we should have her home with us by the end of the week.

I am taking her a blanket we slept on last night, to leave in her shelter bed so she gets to know our scent. Is there anything else I should be doing? She is a rescued dog - it seems she has had pups recently, so I thought maybe a plush cuddly toy puppy to snuggle up with? I think she must be very confused and maybe a bit hormonal as she will be getting spayed by the shelter this week too.

thank you in advance for any advice!

Bubble2bubble Sun 28-Feb-16 21:06:02

Congratulations smile
That's a nice idea to take her blanket. Chances are she has never had toys, so it may take her a while to know what to do with them, but you never know.
Fingers crossed everything works out and you can post some pictures next weekend smile

Wolfiefan Sun 28-Feb-16 21:06:59

Has she got a safe quiet place she can go to in your house?

lemonymelanie Sun 28-Feb-16 22:46:27

Yes, the shelter thought she might just pull the toy apart, so we just left the blanket.:-). We took her out for a play on the lead in the shelter's grounds and she was great. She recognised us from yesterday and we got a lovely welcome.

She has a flea allergy and her skin is a bit sore on her back, she has a lovely intelligent face, and she hasn't barked at all, even though we were playing and running with her and she seemed delighted to be out in the fresh air with all the spring smells - it was a beautiful sunny day here today. She was sniffing everything and at one point just rolled over and let me tickle her tummy for ages. I think she likes us :-)

I am looking at a couple of places for her safe place . We don't have a crate ( I have been reading up) - but the shelter doesn't think it's necessary. We have a nice, dark, cosy corner in our back room which is just off the communal kitchen - maybe that would be good - she can be out of sight but still in the body of the house and hear us about? I thought I would put down a comfy blanket there for her. Maybe she needs a couple of places?

I can just picture her lying out underneath our kitchen table, or sunbathing at the patio doors. She's a little bit bigger than I envisaged, but she is so placid and gentle I think she will be a great family pet for us.

1frenchfoodie Mon 29-Feb-16 09:04:27

I was thinking more of a chew toy such as a kong as I agree with the shelter that a fluffy toy might get destroyed. Sounds as though she has taken to you, I hope the settling in goes well.

ScattyHattie Mon 29-Feb-16 11:22:25

She'll probably try to be sat near or on you if like most staffy types than hiding away in a safe corner. Its a good idea to keep things low ket & not to shower a rescue dog with attention & time early on, ease them into very brief periods of you out of sight/house and give space to settle in as likely to be feeling bit anxious.

Some dogs are soft toy de-stuffers & may eat if not supervised. black kongs are very hard wearing my bully mixes like to gnaw it even when empty.

lemonymelanie Mon 29-Feb-16 14:42:15

Yeah we tried her with a ball and she wasn't interested and a pull-chewy thing that the centre had - you hold it and the dog holds it and you both pull - she didn't have a clue....on the other hand maybe she wasn't in the mood, under the circumstances. She does know "sit" ( sometimes) but will need lots of training. I'm looking forward to going to classes with her.

That's interesting you say not to make too much of a fuss of her when we get her home. I think I would be inclined to have done absolutely the opposite, to try and make her feel safe - but thanks, it does make sense to take things slowly.

I don't know what kongs are. I'm going to google :-)

Thanks everyone who has replied. It's all very helpful and Im going to be asking loads of advice when she gets here, I'm sure!

MaynJune Mon 29-Feb-16 15:14:48

She sounds lovely.

Strongly agree with what ScattyHattie says about not overdoing the affection and attention to begin with. I learned the hard way that being kind but consistent and rather matter-of-fact can help to make them less anxious and clingy.

She may not know how to play but you can smear food into a kong as well for her to lick and keep busy with.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 29-Feb-16 15:21:39

Oh, lovely! I adore my rescue dog.

The first time I brought her home, she was terrified (despite being confident and bouncy at the shelter). She weed a bit on her new bed, and trembled a lot. Didn't eat much for the first few days.

It took her months to come into her full personality, so you might have to be patient. Kongs are great - mine did lots of chewing at first when she was nervous. I think lots of company is the most important thing at the beginning.

Good luck, she sounds adorable!!

lemonymelanie Mon 29-Feb-16 16:03:03

This is a picture from the first day - I went to see her again this afternoon - she was much bouncier and lively - but in a friendly way, not overwhelmingly. I hope I can train her not to jump up on people -I said sit, and tried to get her to sit down before I petted her - but she wasn't listening!

I can see from that picture that she's not got a happy tail there - but I got big wags today :-)

What do you think she is? There's definitely staffy - she's quite "square", stocky hind quarters, not a dainty dog! - They think at the centre, maybe a bit of jack russell or collie?

I am so excited, I'm even researching poo bags online :-)

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 29-Feb-16 16:05:26

Aww, she's lovely.

KoalaDownUnder Mon 29-Feb-16 16:18:11

She is so, so cute!!! She has a gorgeous face. Awww.

No idea of breed, but they're the best kinds of dogs, IMO. ;)

Let us know how she goes when you get get home! Dogs are the best. grin

GinIsIn Mon 29-Feb-16 16:43:16

GORGEOUS DOG! Try getting her a kong with a little peanut butter or marmite inside it. Also, nylabones are great.

She's a total beaut. Don't worry if she doesn't settle straight away or has an upset tummy at first. After a week it'll be as though she's always been with you!

MaynJune Mon 29-Feb-16 17:02:46

She's beautiful! Lovely markings.

lemonymelanie Mon 29-Feb-16 17:33:31

ok, I'm looking at Kongs - the beehive type shape? What size would you recommend - she looks smaller in the picture than she is in real life ( or maybe she just seems bigger now she's a bit bouncier!)

And what about a harness like the one she is wearing? I asked the shelter if we could buy one from them but they don't sell any. I looked at Petsrus website and didnt see anything that got good review! Can anyone recommend?

I know I sound clueless, and I kind of am. I just know we've got a lot of love to give to this dog. DH had dogs as a child but that was a long time ago. Over the years two of our best friends got rescue dogs and they are the nicest dogs ever. My boys already love her, and it will be nice to have another girl in the house :-)

I also don't want to over-buy stuff I don't need - like buying too much for your first baby and never using half of it. ( I learnt that one the hard way!) For instance , do we even need a dog bed? Would a folded blanket not do?

lemonymelanie Mon 29-Feb-16 17:40:12

And thank you for your lovely comments about her. She has a gorgeous head and face and beautiful clear, calm eyes. She is so gentle, and trusting, not pulling on the lead, calm but playful with my ten year old - it's hard to believe she was removed by the inspectors ( for whatever reason, they said she was not being looked after) but she's so ...loving!

GinIsIn Mon 29-Feb-16 20:20:27

If you aren't getting a crate, you should definitely get her a bed - nice for her to have a space that's hers.

The small or medium Kong (not the puppy ones) should do it.

For collars, leads and harnesses try blueberry pet on Amazon - they have some great ones. Even if you plan to harness walk her, you should also get her a collar so that even if she slipped her harness she still has an ID tag on....

The other really useful thing is the little poo bag holders that clip onto the lead. Oh, and a collapsible water bowl for long walks!

lemonymelanie Mon 29-Feb-16 21:38:32

thank you :-)
Having fun on amazon! :-)

KoalaDownUnder Mon 29-Feb-16 23:15:31

She sounds so sweet from your description. She will be v happy to be going to such a lovely home. flowers

GinBunny Mon 29-Feb-16 23:23:42

Oh she's adorable Lemony! We're about to adopt our second rescue dog so will have lots of questions too so no doubt see you about on here grin
I agree with leaving her be when she comes home. She's used to her life in kennels so will need to adjust - she will come to you when she is ready, reassure her but don't fuss her or she may become clingy and show signs of separation anxiety in future. We got a dog bed for GinDog but he preferred Ikea bags and potato sacks to start off with as that was what he was used to. He had no idea how to play. He's got lots of toys but ignores all of them bar one, who he carries around everywhere with him.
Dogs are so rewarding, but they are what you make of them. Hope it all goes well for you all, she's a lucky girl smile

lemonymelanie Wed 02-Mar-16 21:08:14

So we can't get her this week after all - she's being kept in by the shelter for another vet check next Monday. Feel really down, actually, was so excited. Oh well, patience...

honeyroar Wed 02-Mar-16 22:20:44

That's a shame, but better that she comes with a clean bill of health.

Don't worry, I've three rescues, and each one has pretty much fitted in perfectly easily, even the Romanian that hadn't known a house or kindness. Just make sure they know that have a nice comfy basket, a few toys (I'd pick a few heavy duty ones initially) and a bowl of water, then let them sniff around and find their feet.

She does look lovely. I'm sure you'll adore her.

JoffreyBaratheon Wed 02-Mar-16 22:36:08

She is gorgeous. Lovely markings and what a sweet face!

We have a staffy/jrt cross. Our's looks like this...

The black Kongs are meant to be stronger than the others but our staffy just had one for a fortnight and it has already started coming apart... The one thing she loves that does last her a couple of weeks, are deer antlers.

I've heard on staffy forums that Boomer balls stand up to the staffy jaws. Not tried one yet but will get one soon.

They are the best dogs in the world. Our's also loves a tummy rub. (And was from Dogs Trust). They are so friendly and people-centred.

I like the handmade leather collars you can get from Northern Staffy Rescue (a % goes to rescues). We have had one for years that our old dog had and new one now wears. But great for chucking in the washing machine are the Red Dingo ones. I love Red Dingo name tags too - they are very sturdy and they do the engraving deep so it won't wear off as easily as most.

Best your little girl is checked over. Our's got over her spay very quickly but best to keep an eye on them and you have the reassurance that the vet has checked her over.

She could be crossed with something like a collie. The black markings are less usual on a staffy and there's something about that tail that reminds me a it of my neighbour's sheepdog...

JoffreyBaratheon Wed 02-Mar-16 22:38:08

Oops, like this...

lemonymelanie Thu 03-Mar-16 09:42:31

Thank you everyone - yes, I think maybe staffy/collie now too - I can't believe how down I feel.

The vet thinks she might be pregnant, so if that's the case I doubt we will get her at all. They don't know if she has had puppies recently or is pregnant so we need to wait a week for the next check. I'm surprised they cant tell if she is or isn't to be honest....but thats what they said!

The kong arrived from amazon yesterday, ( it's much smaller than I was expecting!) but now there wont be a dog to play with it for a bit...

I'm going to see her again tomorrow anyway. Chin up, keep positive! Thanks for everyones advice and ideas - I keep reading everyone's posts over and over - thanks to everyone - and i'm going to look up Boomer balls too.....( handmade collars sound nice from the staffy rescue too)

oh well, it's still fun to look up all the stuff and make preparations. :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now