Talk

Advanced search

I need some advise re. pining dog

(8 Posts)
welshpixie Sun 28-Feb-16 09:39:54

This my be long, please be gentle with me. I have had dogs all my life but now I find myself in the position of having to find my dog a new home. My husband died last week (it was very sudden and unexpected) and I am going to have re-home our dog. She is lovely but very clingy and I am worried about her when I go back to work. She hates being left alone, we could just manage the supermarket run without her becoming too stressed but anything longer and she panics. We rescued her when she was 5-6 weeks old and she was far too young but she had already been taken from her mum. At least with us she had the chance to live, she is now 6 years old.
The problem is I don't want her to go, but for her sake it is the best thing. There may be the possibility that my daughters boyfriends mum may take her, if she does I will not worry my Ddog will be able to play in the fields with their very gentle dog and swim in the loch so basically doggy paradise (the lady also works from home). If this happens I am not worried, but if this lady cannot take her I don't know what else to do.
If she stays here I will have to work and that means being out 7 hours of the day, she get frantic enough when we got out for an hour and on top of that she keeps looking for my DH. She stopped eating but has now started to eat a little bit.
What I need is someone to tell me what options I have, I will not put her in the dogs home she will not cope. Around here it is all staffy crosses etc and she is a floppy spaniel cross. She is nervous around new people but when she gets to know them they are a friend for life. Where do I go from here?
Thank you if read and managed to understand this, my mind is spinning and I want her settled and not too upset.

nmg85 Sun 28-Feb-16 11:37:12

Have you tried contacting spaniel aid? They take dogs and foster them before finding a perfect home. They have dogs in all circumstances including similar to yours. I am very sorry for your loss!

Cheerfulmarybrown Sun 28-Feb-16 11:46:40

What an awful situation for you to be in I am extremely sorry to hear about your husband.

Many rescues will foster dogs so that they do not have to be in a kennel situation - or you could keep the dog with you until a suitable home became available if that is an option that would work for you both.

I guess from your post you are in Scotland? You are having to make big decisions in a time when your are in great turmoil - would a foster be an idea anyway so that gives you breathing space and maybe time before you have to make a permanent decision?

I am down south but will speak to some contacts and get back to you with foster resuces in Scotland (if that is where you are!)

Do take care - you should receive nothing but gentleness you are having to make difficult decisions through no fault of your own in an very emotional time sad

Cheerfulmarybrown Sun 28-Feb-16 11:47:59

Just a thought you say you rescued her? Would the original rescue be able to help you they usually give a life time commitment to their dogs

welshpixie Sun 28-Feb-16 12:47:37

Thank you for your suggestions I am going to ask the lady if she can take her for a few months while I get myself sorted.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 29-Feb-16 09:26:53

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss. Please don't feel guilty for having to rehome her you are absolutely doing the right thing.

I agree with Cheerful re seeing if you can find a foster home for now.

Un mn hugs for you flowers

MetalMidget Mon 29-Feb-16 17:39:31

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. sad

There are lots of dog walking/dog day care companies, who offer services such as popping in a couple of times a day, taking the dog for walks, or looking after the dog for the entire day. Not sure how they are in your area though, or how financially viable it'd be.

Hope you get something sorted.

welshpixie Mon 29-Feb-16 23:19:54

Thank you for your suggestions, it is now sorted. the original lady I mentioned said she will take ddog until I am ready to make a permanent decision. she has been so kind and we have only met once. Also thank you for your condolences so many people have contacted me in rl, I never realised what a popular man he was. Actually he was the kindest man you could meet and I know I was lucky to have such a good marriage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now