Talk

Advanced search

Rate of pay for dogsitting?

(12 Posts)
WrongTrouser Fri 26-Feb-16 11:26:58

I am trying to work out a reasonable rate to pay a family friend (aged 16) for dog sitting our hound. We are going to start with just day time.

It should be reasonably easy work, as he sleeps a lot during the day, and will just need to be taken into the garden to play from time to time, although I imagine the first few times he might be a bit fretful (he does know the sitter, but is not mad keen on being left with other people).

Any suggestions for a reasonable rate to offer?

AnUtterIdiot Fri 26-Feb-16 12:44:02

No idea but I would love to know the answer. (Sorry)

CMOTDibbler Fri 26-Feb-16 15:31:13

Is she going to be spending all day with him? In the house only, or can she take him out?

My nephew (21) sometimes comes and dog/house sits for us and we leave him £30, a fridge full of stuff he likes, and free range of the wine rack. But they can take the dogs out or leave them for a few hours and he and his girlfriend are very happy to have a house to themselves and the sky box smile

Adgefox Fri 26-Feb-16 15:43:15

We pay our dog sitter £15 per day or part of a day. She is a retired friend so it works well.

She comes to our house if it is for a few hours, or we drop the dog to her and collect afterwards if over night. We supply the dog food.

Hope that helps.

WrongTrouser Fri 26-Feb-16 19:17:31

Thank you for your replies. Dibbler - my sitter will probably need to stay in all day with the dog and just play with him in the garden. He is not keen on going for walks with other people and will probably just sit at the gate and refuse to go further☺ Once he gets to know her better, hopefully they can start to go for walks. Similarly I think it will be best if she does not leave him at least to start with. He is a rehomed dog and although he is doing really well, I do have to introduce changes slowly or he gets a bit anxious.

So the sitter will be pretty much tied to him and our house for the whole time. It will be a long day too. I want to make sure she is happy with the amount I offer - it will make so much difference if the whole family can go out for the day without him now and then.

So I'm thinking perhaps offer £4 an hour which would be £36-50 for the day, and see what she thinks. Any more suggestions gratefully received.

lavendersun Fri 26-Feb-16 19:21:37

I pay a dog sitter £20 per day to stay in my home, she isn't tied to the house but she is here a good portion of the day and night and does two hour long (sometimes more) walks.

I would think that at that age £30 a day would be more than enough.

ChairRider4 Fri 26-Feb-16 20:21:28

I pay £30 a day for doggy daycare so would imagine that be a good rate to stay at yours

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 26-Feb-16 20:24:00

My dog sitter who stays when we are away charges £25 per day.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Fri 26-Feb-16 20:24:50

We are South East if that's of any relevance.

CMOTDibbler Fri 26-Feb-16 21:15:40

I'd say £30 for the day as she will be completely tied to the house

LeaLeander Fri 26-Feb-16 21:23:11

I have a sitter who will stay in my home overnight with my two dogs; she is free to come and go but I do want her there with them from late evening to morning. I pay $50US per night and when I went away for 8 nights I left her $500 plus a fridge full of cheeses, wine/beer, other snack type edibles.

I feel what I pay is on the high end relative to the duties (no long walks, the dogs are little Chihuahuas happy to race around the garden) and she still lives at home (graduate student in mid-20s) so tells me it's a nice break for her. I want her to be happy and to feel it's worth her while as otherwise I'd have a hard time traveling.

WrongTrouser Fri 26-Feb-16 21:49:50

Thanks all, that's really helpful. Sounds like around £30 for the day is about right then. I will suggest that. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now