Talk

Advanced search

Does anybody have a big dog who is a wimp?

(25 Posts)
poppiesanddaisies Fri 19-Feb-16 08:53:44

I don't have a dog but I love them smile

My friends dog once stayed with me because she went away and he is hilarious. He's a big dog - collie crossed with a lurcher and very sweet but he is frightened of little dogs who come up and sniff him! He is petrified of a tiny poodle and a westie!

Anyone else with a scaredey dog?

CMOTDibbler Fri 19-Feb-16 09:18:21

I have two lurchers. The salukixgreyhound one is terrified of the chickens and one of our cats. Small barky dogs scare him too which is funny as people with small dogs get all 'ooh, don't let him near, he'll think its a rabbit' when a) he has no prey drive at all and b) is trying to get away from them when they chase him

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 19-Feb-16 09:52:00

My last St wasn't scared so much as submissive (or a great big tart). If a dog, particularly a smaller one, came near her she'd roll on her back. When she first came home she used to hide behind my legs when the cat came too close. She ran away from the dishwasher when DH was testing it after installing it. She was also terrified of fireworks & thunder storms, she used to sit on my lap quivering poor girl.

ChairRider4 Fri 19-Feb-16 09:58:45

Yup my big boy backs away from barking dogs no matter the size

JennyBunn Fri 19-Feb-16 09:58:53

I have a 43kg mongrel who looks scary to folk who don't know him but he's a big softy. Little dogs pick on him regularly and he stands looking bewildered, squirrels worry him and if when we're walking a piece of plastic or paper blows near him, he almost disappears up his own backside.

Having said this though, I think if anybody tried to harm either of my DC his instincts would kick in. He's so lovely with them and when he's off-lead he doesn't leave their sides, not even if another dog is seen.

He's great.

MaitlandGirl Fri 19-Feb-16 10:01:10

Our pitbull cross is terrified of cows, tractors, trucks and horses (not great as we live in the country!). He's also terrified of the sea and surfboards (again, not great as we're half an hour from the beach!).

But the weirdest thing he's scared of is the soda stream. He runs and hides under the bed when that's being used.

PovertyPain Fri 19-Feb-16 10:05:01

I look after small dogs and my friend brings his rottie/lab cross round, who is built like a tank. He loves the playful ones but if any of the wee scamps give off to him he runs away terrified. grin

poppiesanddaisies Fri 19-Feb-16 10:07:02

grin these are funny!

tigerdog Fri 19-Feb-16 10:09:20

Yup. Our greyhound's most random phobias include the ironing board, and cardboard boxes!

sparechange Fri 19-Feb-16 10:11:03

My lab is scared of cats, the hoover, the hairdryer, the mop (broom is ok though), bikes, plastic bags
The cat fear means she has to check under the patio table and behind the plant pots for hiding felines before she will go to the toilet. It is a fixed routine!

I think the hoover and mop fear are actually all an act to elicit sympathy hugs and treats from the cleaner though, because I busted her (them) a few months ago -DDog quivering in the corner with big eyes, and the cleaner apologising profusely for the heinous crime of getting the hoover out of the cupboard, while plying her with dentastix and giving her cuddles, and promising it will only be a couple of minutes

PovertyPain Fri 19-Feb-16 10:14:28

I busted her (them) a few months ago -DDog quivering in the corner with big eyes, and the cleaner apologising profusely for the heinous crime of getting the hoover out of the cupboard, while plying her with dentastix and giving her cuddles, and promising it will only be a couple of minutes

Hahaha! That's the best cleaner complaint I've ever read!

ProbablyMe Fri 19-Feb-16 10:16:40

My Collie ran away from a miniature dachshund puppy that had just rolled onto its back in front of her. She is a massive wuss softie.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Fri 19-Feb-16 13:13:34

My dog's medium-sized rather than large but is terrified of JRTs and dachshunds in particular but really any small dog that barks at him

If he's carrying his ball and another dog is coming the other way he will immediately drop it, no matter what the size of the dog - he got mugged by a toy poodle the other day - ds (who'd wanted a big, macho dog) was mortified hmm

WeAllHaveWings Fri 19-Feb-16 14:03:22

Our Labrador is a wimp and believe me its not funny.

He'll play with friendly dogs, but cowers from any barking no matter the size of the dog and its a shame to see. He has only barked himself a couple of times and you can see the confusion on his face when the sound comes out.

When it was snowing last year he point blank refused to walk up the lane to the field because the kids had built a snowman and he didn't know what it was. He's not particularly fond of temporary road signs on the pavement either.

PacificDogwod Fri 19-Feb-16 18:10:20

Another greyhound wimp here grin - big, black and comes on very fast which is what other dogs can find intimidating, but hides behind me at anything that barks at him. Or hisses at him - confident cats terrify him grin
Thank goodness he is not fear-aggressive and we are working on better doggy manners - he is desperate to play with other dogs, but needs to learn to ask to play more politely. He's only just 2 and really still has a lot of puppy behaviour…. hmm

StrictlyMumDancing Fri 19-Feb-16 18:14:08

The Labrador we had growing up was a complete wimp. Hated men, other dogs, small rodents, etc. Massively lost a fight with a cat which was the one and only time he was remotely brave. He had bags of character though

2gorgeousboys Fri 19-Feb-16 18:27:15

Our lab is a great big wimp otherwise known as the animated throw rug. He's also scared of the hoover, sweeping brush, mop etc and the hair dryer. He also doesn't like men in hats and on the couple of occasions in the 6 years we have had him that he's barked he's scared himself and run away to hide! He does however like chasing squirrels although when one threw a nut at him he hid. He is also the softest, most loving dog ever and I am in no doubt that he would protect the boys if the need arose.

ILikeToClean Fri 19-Feb-16 22:02:40

My big black labradoodle literally jumps out of his skin if he sees a plastic bag fluttering or any bags left out on bin day. He won't walk past!

Backs away from my aged cat if she so much as looks at him.

Jumps 10 feet in the air if any men say hello.

Barks at the Hoover and the hairdryer.

But other dogs - loves them all no matter what size or even if they have a go at him he'll wag his tail and go back for more!

Issues or what?! But yes he'd protect me and the DDs - he goes mad at DH if he jokingly pretends to tap us or sometimes even when he hugs us!

DickDewy Fri 19-Feb-16 22:06:40

My dog sounds like ILikeToClean's!

exLtEveDallas Fri 19-Feb-16 22:10:45

The MuttDog is scared of boxes, and of people opening boxes. Considering that I ordered the full Amazon warehouse last Christmas I'm surprised we still have a dog...

Tinseleverywhere Fri 19-Feb-16 22:13:40

My lab is not really a wimp, but she is terrified of fireworks and she always goes upstairs if Dh curses at the TV playing up.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Fri 19-Feb-16 23:14:08

Oh I've just remembered these. She wasn't scared but they are sweet! When DC4 kicks first became discernable on the outside she used to get very confused as to what was happening to her head/ear she would have a befuddled look on here face. During my 8 day long latent labour with him she would touch me during each contraction of which there were many & was seemingly surgically attached to me, my dad had to hold her collar whenever we went out the door to the hospital.

Lokibuddyboo Sat 20-Feb-16 14:31:10

My sisters whippet is terrified of a pug puppy he was crying and refusing to walk past she had to pick him up and carry him past.

ChoudeBruxelles Sat 20-Feb-16 14:33:50

Bigger dog (springer cross setter) is the most friendly/harmless and lovely dog ever. Cocker spaniel is lovely but a little sod and definitely has small dog syndrome

emummy Sat 20-Feb-16 20:09:15

Our black lab is scared of small dogs, I think because they are often very vocal. I have never heard her bark at another dog and she really doesn't like being barked at. Plus a number of JRTs have had a real go at her, so I think she's quite justified! With all other dogs - and the Hoover!- she just plays.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now