Talk

Advanced search

are we suitable for a dog?

(44 Posts)
Castasunder Thu 18-Feb-16 15:54:34

I've been desperate for a dog for years but my Dap has always resisted. He's finally coming round to the idea but wants us to do our research properly and really consider if we can take one on.
Ideally I would like a rescue dog but he's very unsure, as we have an 9yo and DP is worried about biting etc ( and dog homes not having the full story on abandoned animals etc). We also work full time. I've been lambasted on other forums before about this but I feel that people can sometimes be unrealistic about full time workers, as most people I know need to work and not all dog owners are retired! We do appreciate that it would be unfair to leave it without company all day (8.30-5pm) and so would set aside money from our budget to a daily walker. I would also walk the dog before and after work. My dd is kind and affectionate with animals and i think it would be lovely to have a companion for her.
As much as I would love a puppy- this is where I know I have to do the right thing. I am therefore thinking of an adult dog. I need it not to be a barker/yappy, as both neighbours work from home and I need to consider them. Our house is quite big but is open plan (i.e. stairs and no doors between kitchen and living rooms) so that's another reason a puppy wouldn't be safe alone.

I guess my question is, would a rescue home even consider us? If not, which dog breed do you think would be most suited to us?

OliviaBenson Thu 18-Feb-16 16:02:02

I think you sound like good owners. Yes you work full time, but your approach seems fine in terms of walks/dog walkers.

Please do consider rescue dogs- not all are in rescue because of mistreatment- we got ours because her elderly owner became ill and couldn't look after her anymore. A good rescue will seek to match you with an appropriate dog.

I'd have an open mind about breeds too- the particular temperament of the specific dog is what is important.

A puppy is hard! And if you are full time, your set up, while ok for an older dog, wouldn't be fair on a pup. The training is hard and time consuming too.

I'm sure other posters can offer better advice, these are just my thoughts smile

Castasunder Thu 18-Feb-16 16:23:28

Thank yousmileThat's kind.
I do think we'd make good owners, although the other concern I have is that I have to work away sometimes (around 4-5 weeks a year) and while DP could cover some of that- it isn't a given. I live in a super dog-friendly area with tons of home boarders which I would prefer to kennels, especially if it meant having the same person for the dog and it was more at ease.

JohnCusacksWife Thu 18-Feb-16 17:18:05

Personally I don't think working full time and being a dog owner are compatible, sorry. Leaving a dog alone, with the exception of, say, an hours walk for 8 or 9 hours a day is unfair. Dogs need interaction, stimulation and companionship. I know that's not what you want to hear.

Floralnomad Thu 18-Feb-16 17:22:05

I agree with pp , sorry .

insan1tyscartching Thu 18-Feb-16 17:27:22

I don't think it's fair to leave a dog alone for the majority of the day five days a week tbh. Rather than a walker could you commit to doggy daycare?A lot of the home boarding places around here do a day care service.

ImBrian Thu 18-Feb-16 17:36:27

Op I think if your planning on using a dog walker then it's fine to get a dog. Mine has a walker 3 days a week and it works well. It's of people who work have happy well adjusted dogs.

ImBrian Thu 18-Feb-16 17:36:42

Lots not it's!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 18-Feb-16 17:37:46

I don't think working fulltime is compatible with a dog either. Even with a dog walker in the middle of the day it will still be long looonnnngggg hours for the dog without company. Definitely do not get a puppy, they desperately need company.

However! I think you should try all the dog rescue centres you can as there are not many, but a few dogs that would suit your criteria.

firesidechat Thu 18-Feb-16 17:39:31

You've been lambasted on other forums for a good reason I'm afraid. Full time working is not great for the dog, but I guess you've already been told that.

If you've got an open plan house where do you expect to leave the dog? There is no doubt that if given free reign your dog will be sleeping on your sofas. Is that problem for you?

Icequeen01 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:29:05

I honestly don't mean to be unkind but we too would love a dog but there is no way I would consider getting one until one of us is able to reduce our hours. Can you imagine spending the majority of your time staring at the same four walls day in day out. I know you mentioned a doggie walker but I still would question the quality of the dog's life. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you would love the dog but is that really enough? Personally I would wait until you have more time to devote to your dog. Sorry!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:34:09

Yes I agree Ice unfortunately dogs can't read, watch TV, entertain themselves. They must be beside themselves with boredom day in, day out, therefore 'misbehave' chew the furniture, soil, bark to annoy the neighbours, etc

MuttonCadet Thu 18-Feb-16 19:36:39

Retired greyhound, we have three, both work full time and have a walker in every day. We have a camera on so I can keep an eye on them.

They sleep most of the time we aren't there.

SmellOfPythonInTheMorning Thu 18-Feb-16 19:39:39

My dog gets walked twice a day by a lovely dog walker and sleeps for the rest of the time grin. He then spends evenings and weekends sprawled on our laps. I think he has a wonderful life and the only thing I would do differently is that knowing what I do now, I would rescue rather than buy. Good luck!

Wombat87 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:44:21

According to PPs it seems only part time workers are dog owners. I am a full time worker. I has a dog. No. I have 2. Have done for 8 years. Number of times I've come home to destroyed items/furniture: 0

I believe that as they are pack animals, it's cruel to have just one. But that's just me. Totally not expecting everyone to get 2.

Rarely come home to an accident. I have a camera system set up. They sleep all day. I am watchin them sleep with envy. I come home, I walk them, I do some training for 20mins a night 3 or 4 times a week and a big 'run' on the weekend.

But mine are small. Their breed isn't known for exerting itself. they are lazy and are lap dogs. One of them drags themselves for their walk. Hates it. Doesn't want to go. Never has, never will. She's fine for 15mins. Then she's had enough and doesn't want to do anymore. The other one will walk until he has stumps for paws.

My opinion is that if you were careful of breed selection, and are capable of giving the mental stimulation they need (which means your time not just a Kong) then I wouldn't say you'd be a bad owner. Don't get sucked into the 'ideal'. But it is a big responsibility.

potap123 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:44:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wombat87 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:47:39

Potap the first person I've ever seen other than me that mentions pack animals. That a million times over. Mine are incredibly close. They have the most wonderful relationship. I got them 6months apart. The second one was an 18month rescue who had previously lived with other dogs. Best decision ever.

Wolfiefan Thu 18-Feb-16 19:49:36

I don't think it is fair to leave a dog that long. I think 4 hours is the recommended max. And that's once a dog is settled and used to being left.
Daycare
Or going home for lunch and walker too.
Or work from home.
Or don't get a dog.

bessiebumptious2 Thu 18-Feb-16 19:51:37

Please don't get a puppy. You may end up with a very frustrated, naughty and anxious dog with issues. You can't leave a puppy for that long - walkers or not.

An older (8/9 yrs) rescue dog would probably be ok as long as it's not left for more than 2/3 hours at a time. Having a home is better than being stressed in a kennel after all and if it's older, it'll likely be happy sleeping more anyway and may not need a massive amount of exercise. But in any case, be prepared for separation anxiety. You'd need to be at home with him/her all day for the first couple of weeks and keep going out for short periods so (s)he knows you're coming back.

But most of all? Please don't get a rescue dog only to return it because it destroys your house when you're not home or has behavioural issues that need time and patience on both parts. It's not fair.

Clockworklemon Thu 18-Feb-16 19:56:44

This is what Dogs Trust say:

www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/factsheets-downloads/factsheettimeforadog05.pdf

Castasunder Thu 18-Feb-16 20:31:33

Thanks everyone. I do appreciate the perspective.

I won't be getting a puppy- I'm clear about that, so don't worry. I do think that as we are likely going for rescue, it's not unreasonable to say that we would still be giving it a much better life than it currently has now. It might not be ideal, but it's still a nice life. We would be aiming for an older dog ( but not very old as I don't think it's fair on my dd) and I would try hard to look for breeds am that are suited to being at home. I looked at greyhounds, and also kind Charles cavaliers.
I do think, that of a family are loving and willing to arrange walkers etc, then rescue centres are making it overly prohibitive for some families, especially if they don't have a no-kill policy.

Are there any other that you think are worth considering? We have no desire to rush into it but I'd like to rule out every chance before saying no.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 18-Feb-16 22:57:26

Seconding greyhounds. I work from home a lot but I sometimes have to work away. Our boy stays with my mum or my DH or we get neighbours/dog walkers in. He's fine. Greyhound rescues are receptive to full time working owners. Give it a go.

Lokibuddyboo Thu 18-Feb-16 23:13:58

I don't see a problem in you getting a dog. I've had a dog and worked and my father has always had dogs and works lots of people do and their dogs are fine well adjusted dogs.
I would say unless you can take about six months off I wouldn't get a puppy but like you've said a puppy is not what your looking for.
I would recommend whippets great breed they like to sleep most of the day. my father has two and they get a walk before he goes to work, then me or my sister go over and give them an off lead 30 min run mid day and my dad walks them again with about 15 off lead as soon as he gets home.
They are great he's filmed them when he's been gone all they do is sleep or play with their toys he's never come home to mess or destruction.
And if your going to get a rescue dog it's a much better life than being in a kennel all day.
I'd say go for it give a dog a home.

Wolfiefan Thu 18-Feb-16 23:15:39

You can't compare a kennel and a home. A kennel in a rescue centre is only ever meant to be a temporary thing.

Dieu Thu 18-Feb-16 23:45:52

In the ideal world, yes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now