How can I get my dog interested in toys?

(8 Posts)
SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 17-Feb-16 23:45:45

She's a 3-4yo rescue Border Terrier. If you throw a toy for her she just looks at you like you've gone stupid. She likes destroying tennis balls and chewing her nylabone thing but that's all. One reason we got her was because our 4yo DD is desperate for a dog to play with her (our greyhound has the same attitude towards toys, looks at you as if you're barking mad if you throw a toy for him) and we figured a BT would fetch toys, but she doesn't. The dog adores DD, will follow her around, sit as close to her as possible and she'll even sit on DD's feet as she's trying to put her shoes on grin but she won't play with toys. DD would be over the moon if the dog would play/fetch etc.

Is there any way we can get her interested or is it just the way she is?

We have tried getting toys out and dragging them around the floor and acting all excited. She just looks at us as if we've lost the plot.

Lokibuddyboo Thu 18-Feb-16 00:53:03

Some dogs love to play fetch and tug and some just don't.
My ddog loves playing fetch with a ball and loves to play tug. He will happily play fetch with my young niece and nephew all day but will only play tug with adults
My sisters dog will only play with his toys alone never wants to play with them with you.
You could try using a treat for fetching the ball back to you and teach her to drop the ball on command.

Floralnomad Thu 18-Feb-16 09:55:13

My mum has a border X JRT , the boy has always played fetch and tuggy games ,the girl( his sister) has never been interested - some dogs just don't play .

georgedawes Thu 18-Feb-16 10:06:58

What about blowing bubbles?

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Thu 18-Feb-16 12:40:07

We have a bubble machine and I put it on, she didn't even take any notice confused

pigsDOfly Thu 18-Feb-16 20:09:33

My dog is the owner of a box full of virtually untouched toys that I've bought because I felt she might like to play with something, even though experience should teach me otherwise. One or two of them have bits missing: ears or antlers are always chewed off but once she's dealt with those, the toys are completely ignored. Those toys without ears or antlers don't even get as far as a quick chew.

She has one soft toy that she's had for about 4 years that seems to meet all her needs, and that, apart from playing fetch with a ball is all she wants. She never plays tuggy, just doesn't seem to get the idea of it.

My DD's dogs both love soft toys and will play for ages on their own, throwing the toys in the air and having a great time. When I see them playing like that it makes me wish my dog could have as much fun with a toy but it's just not in her nature. I expect your dog is the same.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 18-Feb-16 23:01:23

You can train your dog to retrieve. You have to encourage/incentivise him to chase the thing, first; then to bring it back to you and drop it. I have to say I wouldn't bother myself - it is a lot of work to try to get a dog interested in something he doesn't want to do - but yes, it is possible with a lot of perseverance.

AnUtterIdiot Thu 18-Feb-16 23:02:10

*she sorry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now