Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Halti headcollar for barky dog when he sees other dogs

(4 Posts)
TheFlyingFauxPas Thu 11-Feb-16 09:15:01

my thread

I've recently had this gorgeous little dog come live with us. When on walks he goes crazy when he sees other dogs. He barks his head off and is impossible to move on or away. Treats just aren't distracting him. Though we've not tried training with treats in garden 1st before moving it to the great outdoors!
I'm considering a halti headcollar - not optifit as that seems to gave issues with an adjusting clip.

Any views?? 🐶

TheFlyingFauxPas Thu 11-Feb-16 09:17:44

He also pulls like crazy for ages after he's seen one. Also, sometimes he stops and refuses to move on for ages.

slicedfinger Thu 11-Feb-16 09:20:33

We had a similar problem and had been using one. After a spell in kennels, one of the kennel workers (very experience in 'problem' dogs) told us that made it worse because the tightness stressed him out even more. Sure enough, we've found that keeping his lead as loose as possible but physically close to us when he spots another dog has made a huge difference. He still reacts badly when he sees a small dog with it's tail up (even if it is just built that way), but it is way better.

We were also advised by the vet to start getting his attention with treats in the house for a few days before using them outside. However the kennel bloke said that just reinforced that there was a 'thing' going on, so we've pretty much stopped that.

TheFlyingFauxPas Thu 11-Feb-16 10:53:31

Thanks finger 😊

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now