Talk

Advanced search

I am bursting with pride!

(20 Posts)
ScrappyMalloy Wed 10-Feb-16 12:12:24

I have to tell someone who understands, and I am pretty sure this is the place grin

I have two little rescue dogs, both from different but very sad backgrounds. We had to almost start from scratch with them both and they have come on amazingly. The massive fly in the ointment has been recall. Bloody recall. For months we have been going to classes and practising every day, but out in the real world, they would just turn feral off lead, leaving me tearing my hair out.

They were never nasty, but a nuisance to other walkers, and really fast. They could be out of sight in no time, so they have been walked on lead, except for an occasional experiment in safe areas.

I let them off on the beach today, for the first time in a couple of months. I was almost covering my eyes, and holding my breath...

They raced up to a friendly looking dog, had a little play, and when I called them, they came back ! And they did it over and over...

I have dogs who can go off lead! Off lead! A whole new world has opened up. We spent two hours there, and they played the whole time. Only my overwhelming need for a wee drove me off the beach, otherwise I would have spent the whole day there grin

I know that we will gave bad days <polishes seasoned dog owner badge> but today... I feel like a lottery winner!

AnUtterIdiot Wed 10-Feb-16 12:13:27

star s all round! Congratulations, OP smile

ScrappyMalloy Wed 10-Feb-16 12:15:11

Pictures of the crazy pair!

ScrappyMalloy Wed 10-Feb-16 12:16:37

Thanks! Bless them, they have no idea how much they achieved today grin

Springermum1350 Wed 10-Feb-16 14:42:03

That's wonderful. I always feel on top of the world when raffles does something good or we have a wonderful walk. Hopefully we will get to that point at some point but because of his nerves I doubt it will ever happen. But I am so pleased you had a wonderful time. I can see your big smile on your face just by your writing. Xxxx

FoxFeatures Wed 10-Feb-16 14:45:36

Oh they look lovely and full of mischief.
Clever pups.

Costacoffeeplease Wed 10-Feb-16 14:50:56

Congratulations - they look lovely

Scuttlebutter Wed 10-Feb-16 15:01:13

Oh, that's fantastic! Well done.

ThatsNotMyRabbit Wed 10-Feb-16 15:11:59

Congratulations! And well done! It's YOU who has achieved this, YOU who has put the work in and kept at it!

You deserve this feeling!

Just goes to show perseverance pays off. As a trainer I see many owners who are CLEARLY not putting in the work at home. Sometimes I think that they think we'll eventually say "So he's still not coming when he's called? Ok, here's a method that takes no effort but will definitely work" ๐Ÿ™„

Well done! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜„

ScrappyMalloy Wed 10-Feb-16 16:21:15

Thank you all so much!

I have had rescues before but always puppies, who were much more dependent on me in the beginning, so recall was much easier.

Adopting adult rescues who came from horrible places, has been trickier. They love their obedience classes and training, but the excitement of being off lead was always too much for them, and to be honest, I had kind of accepted that they would always be on lead for walks.

I was sad for them, because although I know lots of dogs have a lovely life without ever being let loose for whatever reason, but I really wanted them to live a full life, and that included racing around on the beach.

And it's happened! Although Coco (the shih tzu and not the brains of the bunch) did leap into a sand pool, and had to learn to swim pretty pronto. And tried to go off with a new 'mum', (twice...) thinking it was me, they had a great time, running around with new friends, in a completely madcap frenzy.

Still grinning!

pigsDOfly Wed 10-Feb-16 17:00:47

Well done. It's a lovely thing you've done for them. Hope they appreciate all the hard work you've put in.

As pp said we can see you smiling all over just from the way you write.

ScrappyMalloy Wed 10-Feb-16 17:10:39

If I had a tail, I would be wagging it!

Cheerfulmarybrown Wed 10-Feb-16 17:28:06

grin grin grin fantastic

maybeIwillmaybeIwont Wed 10-Feb-16 17:43:57

Well they are just the cutest, well done, all your hard work is rewarded! flowers

ScrappyMalloy Wed 10-Feb-16 18:22:09

They don't have a bad bone in their bodies smile

The little white terrier, Holly, came from a overcrowded, neglectful home, and latched onto me as soon as she arrived. She is my little white shadow.

Coco the shih tzu came from a puppy farm, where she had lived in a shed sad and had had several litters. She had no muscle tone, and no idea of living in a home, except for a short spell in foster care. She spent days hiding under the table in the dining room, and, months later, house training is still ongoing grin

They are absolutely adorable dogs, and everything I have done for them, they repay ten times over with their funny antics and warm cuddles.

Rescue dogs are fantastic!

ilovecardigans Wed 10-Feb-16 23:39:09

Wow - that's a fantastic achievement! Well done to you and your girls.

Sounds like you had THE best day and I'm SO happy for you! You are an amazing person. x

dreamingon Fri 12-Feb-16 12:01:55

That is so fantastic. I have a rescue Collie who was a nightmare but is now held up as an example by my daughter as a "well behaved" dog and it makes me so proud.

Congratulations to you. Could I ask how you did it as this is the only thing I still struggle with with my dog, I have tried a couple of classes but I just can't seem to find a way that works with him.

TwistAndShout Fri 12-Feb-16 16:39:24

That's fantastic! When dog ownership goes right, it's such a fabulous feeling, congratulations!

rushandpush Fri 12-Feb-16 20:54:18

What a lovely heart warming story - such a joy for you and your dogs and for us to read. I'm so glad you've posted this tale.

ScrappyMalloy Fri 12-Feb-16 23:11:09

Thank you all! Three days along, and they are still enjoying tearing about the beach off lead. I am still stupidly nervous (there were horses galloping along the shoreline this morning, gulp) but every time they come back when I call, it boosts my confidence grin

dreamingon we have been going to doggy classes for months and months and practising at home every day, and it all went brilliantly in an artificial setting, but out in the real world... I was tearing my hair out.

I must have said 'sit', 'wait' and 'come' a million times <sigh> so I think it was just repetition that helped to crack it.

And cheese. They will do most things if a cube of cheese is offered.

They are lovely, funny, sweet dogs, and really worth the time and effort we won't talk about the puddle on the guest bed this evening

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now