What silly things do your dogs do/have you taught your dog to do that makes you laugh?

(13 Posts)
insan1tyscartching Tue 09-Feb-16 15:51:34

Eric picks up silly tricks in no time so we are forever teaching him things to make us laugh. His latest is "Hands up who wants......." where he stands on his back legs paws held high until you acknowledge he has his hands up. What is particularly funny though is if you don't acknowledge him he yaps to complain grin
He also crawls across the floor on his belly to say sorry if you wag your finger at him, we don't do that out of thehouse though for fear someone mistakes him for being a traumatised and badly treated dog.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Tue 09-Feb-16 19:42:23

We have a large open-plan kitchen/living room - our dog is not allowed in the kitchen bit when were preparing food but it's impossible to have any kind of physical barrier

He know he's supposed to stay out of the kitchen but sometimes it's just too tempting and he sneaks in

We started singing "there's a dog in the kitchen" to the tune of "there's a rat in mi kitchen" (UB40 from a gazillion years ago) and as soon as he went to his bed he'd get a treat

Now all we have to do is hum the tune or sing the first two words and he shoots out of the kitchen as fast as he can - it makes me laugh every time

insan1tyscartching Tue 09-Feb-16 20:50:15

They are just so funny and so clever aren't they Noits? If I show Eric dh's mug he sits on his lap because he can't stand me passing him anything and if I say I'm nipping to the loo he's outside the toilet door before I am hmm

Betrayedbutsurvived Tue 09-Feb-16 21:19:04

He has a huge bone shaped nylon chewy thing, we joke that its whats left of the postman, so now if you ask where the postman is, he drags the bone in proudly.

He also likes to sit on our laps, no problem there you might think, except he's an 8 stone German shepherd/Newfoundland cross!

Lozislovely Thu 11-Feb-16 16:17:48

Gosh, ddog has many quirks!

Once he's eaten his dinner he has to rub his face all over the lounge rug. That will always result in a loud burp and then he has to beat up squeaky piggy.

I've taught him to close my laptop - that is the signal for walkies so he gets uber excited.

If he feels his walk is late he will lay down on my feet so I can't escape and physically shake. I'm managed to capture it on video before because it was really hard to explain.

He's also an avid TV watcher. Before our TV went on the wall he would stand in front of the TV with his fore legs resting on the stand. If an animal program came on he'd go mental and try to look behind the TV when the animal disappeared. Now the TV is on the wall he just jumps up the wall.

Lozislovely Thu 11-Feb-16 16:20:37

When the TV was on a stand....

IAmNotAMindReader Thu 11-Feb-16 17:40:37

Our Irish Setter has been taught to high five.

FuzzyFairy Thu 11-Feb-16 19:13:58

That is adorable Loz!
Ddog likes to roll around on his back with his chew toys getting belly rubs from whoever he can get. Then he sneezes right in your face!

He also carries a pillow around sometimes which is particularly funny when he tries to be BigBraveDogSeeingOffIntrudersWithHisLoudBark...carrying a pillow!

MaitlandGirl Fri 12-Feb-16 01:11:49

Our papillon puppy plays dead, high fives, shows you his bum (turns his back to you) and gone to get his food bowl when asked - all to hand signals.

If only we could stop him lying across the back of the sofa we'd have the perfect dog!

KinkyAfro Fri 12-Feb-16 09:34:24

My dog (choc lab) always has to greet you when you come in with something in her mouth, and it's usually what's the nearest thing to her when she hears the door. So it could be a cushion, remote control, one of her toys, tea towel etc.

When I ask her for a cuddle she jumps on the sofa and sits as close as she can and then presses her face against mine, she makes a weird noise whilst doing this, almost like a purr!

Loz I knew your dog would be a Westie, mums Westie is exactly the same

Lozislovely Fri 12-Feb-16 14:55:30

Urgh, just typed a response and it disappeared!

Kinky - I think all Westies are a little quirky!

Ddog has got so many quirks! Just recently when out on a walk, when he realizes we're headed back to home he turns into old boy (and he's only 3), literally potters up the road like he's totally worn out. Can't speed him up, encourage him (unless he spots a cat), nothing. And all because he wants to stay out!

He is also incredibly nosey. He will stop dead in his tracks when he sees people coming out of their front door, getting out of their car, even walking on the same path. I always say that he's nosey as I'm sure people think I'm casing their home or car.

In our last house he used to sit on a trunk under my bedroom window and keep watch all day. I'd see people when I was out walking and they'd say 'oh you must live at xx' because I've seen your dog in the window.

Lozislovely Fri 12-Feb-16 14:56:18

Can just spot his ears!

deste Wed 17-Feb-16 22:08:54

Every morning our dog chooses a toy and sits and cleans it for about half an hour. When I am in the shower he sneaks in and steals one of my slippers, slips out and sits and cleans that. He will greet me at the door with my pyjamas and slippers. God know what the postman thinks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now