How often/for how long do you walk your dog

(26 Posts)
KittyBeans72 Tue 09-Feb-16 15:19:46

I have a lab/alsatian cross and he gets at least an hour in the morning (mostly off lead running around), a half hour run around at lunch time, a half hour on lead walk at tea time and then another half hour at bed time. I have no idea what he should be getting!

AnUtterIdiot Tue 09-Feb-16 15:56:59

Half an hour to an hour twice a day depending on how much time we have. Greyhound.

BlackMarigold Tue 09-Feb-16 16:03:42

If your dog is relaxed and behaves well when at home then he's probably getting enough exercise.
I've got two dogs, a rescue GSD type mongrel and a lab, and walks vary, between 45mins - 90mins. Just one walk a day in winter, more in summer, they get covered in mud at this time of year and I can't face the clear up twice a day. They're fine with this.
The shorter walks are mostly on lead and I take them out one at a time, and do lots of training and they seem to end up more tired than the longer off lead walks.

MissRainbowBrite Tue 09-Feb-16 16:40:24

We have a 2 year old Springer and she gets a 20 minute run in the morning mostly off lead then an hour off lead over the fields around midday, occasionally she gets a bonus on lead 10 minutes walk round the block in the evenings too. As long as she has the first two walks everyday she's quite happy and chilled around the house.

RattusRattus Tue 09-Feb-16 16:47:27

Lab - one hour a day weekdays. 90 mins a day at weekends.

insan1tyscartching Tue 09-Feb-16 16:53:17

Eric gets anything between an hour and 90 minutes after the school run, an hour before it goes dark in the evening and then a stroll round the block before bed. If the weather is bad each walk is halved more or less, if the weather is good and we meet up with his friends it could be longer.He's a shih tzu poodle cross and is always up for a walk tbh.

Sadik Tue 09-Feb-16 16:54:09

16 year old husky x. His age has suddenly hit him in the last couple of months, so these days generally a gentle stroll to work & back (5 mins normal pace each way - 15 mins with ddog), 'proper' stagger walk after school (20 mins normal pace, takes 40 mins +) and round the block before bed.
He likes to be outdoors a lot though, and hates this rainy winter because we force him to stay in the house in the dry.
Fortunately when he was younger we lived on a farm where he could run to his heart's content grin

Sadik Tue 09-Feb-16 16:55:43

Having said that he'd have been fine with what you're describing from about 6 yrs old on providing he could either run off lead freely or I was on my bike so we were going at a decent (to him) pace beside me.

Ellybellyboo Tue 09-Feb-16 16:58:05

I've got a springer and he gets 1 1/2 - 2 hours a day

I take him half hour run off lead round the field behind us early in the morning - although in the winter when it's still dark he goes for a quick on lead walk round the block. Then I take him to the beach/local woods for an hour or so off lead, then he has his evening constitutional round the block in the evening.

He's a bit lively though so we try to keep him knackered grin

ChairRider4 Tue 09-Feb-16 16:59:05

Lab he has 45 mins or so offlead in morning being a dog
Then couple hrs on lead as working
Then another 40-50 min off lead being dog

Plus a 15 min evening stroll on lead

But he has and can have less /more all varies

lighteningirl Tue 09-Feb-16 17:00:21

I have a very small Jrt/chi cross if he has a big walk (hour plus) he's quite happy to stay in the next day as long as he gets some ball games we have a big garden and he will happily spend an hour rooting around out there. He refuses to go out if it's windy dh thinks it hurts his ears

Ellybellyboo Tue 09-Feb-16 17:00:31

Oops, pressed send too soon

He's 8 now so has slowed down a bit and gets tireder quicker, when he was younger I seriously considered a running machine

Floralnomad Tue 09-Feb-16 17:00:37

I have a patterdale X and the norm is about 90-120 minutes split into 2/3 walks depending on weather and time of year ,with at least 60 minutes off lead playing ball .

confusedandemployed Tue 09-Feb-16 17:03:31

2 largeish JRTs, now 13.

They still have at least 40mins in the morning but the afternoon walk is very much weather dependent. They're not rain lovers.

Currently they're just having the one walk, but are offered a second - don't take it up cos of the rain! In better weather they will.

When they were younger they needed at least 2 hour-long walks off lead.

PinkPjamas Tue 09-Feb-16 17:03:51

Ours get about twenty minutes in the morning every morning and again of an evening. A few times a week a longer one,following that one of them is very disinterested in any walk the next day-theyre both old,one spaniel one husky. We also have the puppy who is only just getting used to going out so doesn't get long. I like long walks but theyre just not up to it very often any more :/

Sadik Tue 09-Feb-16 17:06:27

It's sad, isn't it PinkPjamas sad I miss long walks and dd hurtling around with ddog.

Springermum1350 Tue 09-Feb-16 19:24:53

I have a year old springer. We go for a walk for about 45 mins on lead in the morning. This is normally around the village, round the back of the village as there are woods there but he stays on the lead or he gets over excited.

Then in the evenings my dh takes him for a lead walk for about 45 mins.

We were running him everyday for 1hr 30 mins in the morning and then another run in the evening. But the behaviourist said to stop and just walk him. Best idea ever. He was so so crazy when we got back from the runs and not sleeping at all during the day as he was hyped up. Now he sleeps better at night and is calmer during the day. I do nose work with him in the afternoon and training to tire out his mind.

tomatodizzy Tue 09-Feb-16 19:29:42

I have a German Shepherd, a labrador and a mini pinscher. I walk all three for 45 minutes in the morning. The two big ones potter about with DH on the the farm and the little one stays in the garden. They usually get a 30 minute lead walk in the evening. During the day my two mostly sleep or sniff about in the trees and don't want to do much "walking" until the sun goes down. On rainy or colder days they seem more active. So it depends.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 09-Feb-16 22:03:49

20-30 minutes once a day & a couple of mad laps around garden when she's feeling energetic not very often. My last St liked a 20 minute walk , I went slightly further 1 night, we got to about 5 minutes from home & she sat down & refused to move for a good 15 minutes, I never tried to change her routine again.

Lokibuddyboo Wed 10-Feb-16 01:09:19

My jrt cross chi is lazy and hates on lead walks, just doesn't enjoy them. Don't mind off lead walks in the forrestry when it's dry but will absolutely refuse to go out if its raining or too cold.
So for the last three days he's refused to even walk around the block he goes out the garden to do his business then runs straight back in, he's getting lots of indoor play instead.
In the summer he normally gets two/three 20 minute off lead runs a day in an enclosed secure field.
But in winter it depends on the weather some days he only goes out the garden (his choice not to go out for a walk)

Strokethefurrywall Wed 10-Feb-16 03:02:59

I have a shepherd collie mix and a shepherd retriever mix - both get 20 mins in leash on morning and evening although longer if I can get them out and Elvis (7 years nearly) is willing but is officially one of the laziest dogs known to mankind. If he gets too far from home he sits down and refuses to move until I take him home.
There is nowhere safe to walk them off leash here due to roaming packs of untrained and mostly unowned dogs, except a big mile circle close to the canals but they're a way from home and often deserted. I used to walk them off leash there 3-4 times a week for an hour but not much since babies arrived. Easy with one in a baby bjorn, not so easy with 4 year old 2 year old and dog shit all over the place.
I try and get Frank (6 years) out for a run every now and again as he has bags of energy and would play all day if he could, but due to thick undercoat and living in the tropics, it doesn't suit him so well and I can't run as far as I'd like (plus roaming dogs an issue).
I used to come home at lunch to take them out but it's so bloody hot here they refuse to go anywhere!

I feel bad that they don't get as much exercise as I feel they should, but they really don't want to do much except sleep!!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 10-Feb-16 03:55:54

Two labs, around an hour off lead every morning. Big garden they have access to for the rest of the time.

nattyknitter Wed 10-Feb-16 04:02:29

My elderly GSD gets 3 x 20mins off lead per day. Nothing when it's wet, she will not got out in the rain. In her prime we did at least 2 hours per day. She's slowed down so I bring her back when I can see she's starting to struggle. In her head she could be out all day, but I can see her starting to limp as her joints are going and she gets all stiff when she first stands up. We play ball around the house a few time a day too.

For a GSD I'm plucking a minimum of 2 x 45 mins out of my head as what used to be advised. With a GSD of course, no amount of exercise will tire them out, you need to give them brain stimulation too.

lighteningirl Wed 10-Feb-16 13:06:24

lokibunnyboo Just made ddog go out he enjoyed the walk to and round the park had to carry him to the bank as he wanted to go straight home he then walked home from the bank. 3 1/2 miles with a half mile carry in the middle then got home and spent twenty minutes hurtling round house I think it was sheer pleasure of being home!!

banff82 Thu 11-Feb-16 01:21:12

I have 2 working Cockers; they get 2-3 hours per day, all off lead. Weekdays it's usually an hour before work then 45 minutes at lunchtime and another 45 minutes to an hour after work. The before work one is a run (as in I'm running with them) 3 times a week. Weekends they usually get one big walk of anything between 2-4 hours in the morning and then a 20-30 minute leg stretch late afternoon/early evening. In the shooting season they do a 6+ hour day of beating and picking up twice a week. They are very fit and extremely active but have never been manic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now