Talk

Advanced search

Had my lovely dog pts today

(24 Posts)
girlsyearapart Fri 05-Feb-16 21:22:09

Had my almost 15 year old lovely dog pts today. Can't stop crying. I've had him since he was a puppy. The house feels empty. When does it get easier??

DorynownotFloundering Fri 05-Feb-16 21:26:17

Oh sweetheart- he was a grand old age, and to have him since a pup it must be heartbreaking.

The house does feel oh so empty doesn't it. Give yourself a while and have a think about whether another one would be the answer. Not yet.

It does get easier, but I can't tell you when, like anyones grief it has no time scale.

Tell us a bit about him if it would help, what breed was he & what was his name?

FinnMcCool Fri 05-Feb-16 21:31:26

Oh that's awful news. But you must remember you did a good thing for your old friend. A kind thing.

The house will feel empty, but don't rush to replace him.
It gets easier but will take time.

girlsyearapart Fri 05-Feb-16 21:32:31

It felt so brutal walking him to the vet today.

Arseface Fri 05-Feb-16 21:36:54

Oh it's so hard. Our old girl is 16 and I'm dreading it. I hope I will do as well by her as you have for your old man when the time comes.

You've given him the best last gift you could by saving him any further pain.
Doesn't make it easier though.
So sorry he's gone.

DorynownotFloundering Fri 05-Feb-16 21:38:47

awww lovely old boy. it's so bloody hard but it is the last loving thing you did for him, letting him slip away surrounded by your love.

girlsyearapart Fri 05-Feb-16 21:44:53

Thanks all.
Not going to get another dog. It's too hard to think about all this again.
Even when I came in from the vet I half expected him to come running up to me when I opened the door..

Jamarama Fri 05-Feb-16 21:45:32

Oh he's lovely is he a staff? You gave him a wonderful life he looks so content in the photo.

kilmuir Fri 05-Feb-16 21:46:41

he knew you loved him to the end.
It does get better, but takes a while and even now 18 months on I can be washing up and have a tear thinking about my old lady great dane.
treasure those wonderful years and experiences you had together

girlsyearapart Fri 05-Feb-16 21:53:32

Yes he's a staff. He was the runt of the litter when I got him as no one would buy him. Definitely not runty!
That picture was taken last night I slept on the sofa with him.

AnUtterIdiot Fri 05-Feb-16 23:07:12

flowers I am so sorry. It is the last thing we can do for them but it is so hard.

Pocketrocket31 Fri 05-Feb-16 23:11:32

Bless flowers they really are like your children aren't they

DianaTrent Fri 05-Feb-16 23:18:27

So sorry, it's incredibly hard. You did right by him, though, even though it sometimes doesn't feel like it at the time. He was a lucky boy to be loved that much, and for so many years. Most animals and many people in the world can only dream of that. It takes a long time to be able to look back and smile at the good times, and very painful getting there, but I bet he was worth it. I remember being there with my old girl at the age of 12 and it was truly heartbreaking. flowers

girlsyearapart Sat 06-Feb-16 07:40:53

First morning coming downstairs without him here sad

DorynownotFloundering Sat 06-Feb-16 10:37:45

<<hugs>>

cankles Sat 06-Feb-16 18:18:57

He's lovely. Sending hug and hand holding x

Plomino Sat 06-Feb-16 23:14:41

I'm so sorry . We lost one of our lovely hounds last week and it's devastating . In the words of my vet who could see how distraught we were - ' we do this for them not because we don't love them , but because we do '.

I'm sure he knew how much he was loved x

musthavebeentimeless Sat 06-Feb-16 23:15:39

So sorry flowers

He looks lovely and very soft xx

Sirona Sun 07-Feb-16 11:08:34

I'm so, so sorry for your loss flowers He looks beautiful and he will know you loved him to the end.

I had to get my dog pts a year and a half ago at the age of 12. She was my first 'child' before the human ones came along and I was heartbroken. Odd times I still get caught out and arrive at the door and my brain fully expects to see her there for a spilt second before I remember.

It does get easier though but give yourself time, you have lost a member of your family. Hugs to you.

daisy5569 Sun 07-Feb-16 15:51:37

So sorry for your loss, he looks so lovely in your photo. I faced the same in november after having my old boy PTS at almost 17. First time not having a dog in the house for me too and its still strange coming home to no dog, and I'm always talking to him telling him I miss him (I sound like a nutcase) and sob my eyes out at times.
It does get easier but at first its really hard especially after having them for so long. Take care of yourself and one day you may open your heart to a new furry friend, someone on one of these forums once said that when they go they take a little piece of your heart with you and the next dog makes it whole again, which I think is lovely xxx

girlsyearapart Sun 07-Feb-16 16:20:19

Thanks all. This weekend has been so so hard.
I slept at my friends last night with the dc as being home is too weird

Moonandstarsandback Sun 07-Feb-16 18:43:36

Oh I'm so sorry. I went through similar a year ago and know what a heart wrenching time it is. Sending huge hugs to you thanksthanks

Moonandstarsandback Sun 07-Feb-16 18:45:41

Ps. It does get easier I promise. I still miss my lovely doggy, but it doesn't feel so awful now. We actually just got a puppy - because we missed him so much and he was such a fab dog. Our puppy won't ever replace him as he's always our amazing doggy. X

ToomuchChocolatemeansBootcamp Sun 07-Feb-16 18:56:04

I'm so sorry. He looks like a lovely content boy enjoying a rest on the sofa in your pic. You have given him a life of love. What was his name? I have an elderly dog and I dread the day but it really is the last kindness. Be gentle with yourselves, all of you x x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now