Talk

Advanced search

Anyone up? Rescue dog crying :(

(28 Posts)
CommunistLegoBloc Thu 04-Feb-16 00:13:37

argh I feel sick. Have another thread about my beautiful new rescue. It's his second night. Last night he went to bed and we didn't hear a peep. Now he's pacing and crying. Everything I've read says to leave him but I feel absolutely terrible. Someone please reassure me! No way I can sleep.

UsernameIncorrect Thu 04-Feb-16 00:19:53

I'm sure you've brought him outside. Hard to ignore I know (hence mine sleeps in my bed) but do try to ignore if you know he has everything he needs.

Floralnomad Thu 04-Feb-16 00:21:21

Either take him to bed with you or go and sit near him until he settles , when he has really settled in you can always reintroduce a bedtime routine .

harryhausen Thu 04-Feb-16 00:21:50

I'm up but I'm no expert.

My 10 month old pup never cried at all until he went through a phase at about 6 months. Then he started howling at night. The first time I went down to him but it just made him worse afterwards. My dh kept me strong and he did eventually stop. He's back to no howling now.

I'm sorry I'm no help. I know how horrible it is. Is the dog in a crate? Could you try it in your room for now then work out gradual retreat later?

hollinhurst84 Thu 04-Feb-16 00:22:58

Ticking alarm clock, hot water bottle, top that smells of you...?

MrsJayy Thu 04-Feb-16 00:23:39

Bring its bed near you in the room or the landing or go sleep on the sofa with it or get up shh it and go back to bed reassure and go bk to bed

CommunistLegoBloc Thu 04-Feb-16 00:25:44

Thanks all. The rescue said to leave him and he has stopped, for now. Feeling oddly shaken by it.

Floralnomad Thu 04-Feb-16 00:28:49

Another quick thought is he warm enough ? Lots of pointy dogs feel the cold and need to wear jimjams if you are not having the heating on overnight .

MrsJayy Thu 04-Feb-16 00:30:33

We put our dogs bed in the hall we were told he was crate trained but was flung in anway after we took him out we let him in the hall he settled better remember he doesn't know where he is it can take months for a rescue to bond with you

CommunistLegoBloc Thu 04-Feb-16 00:30:34

He's got a jumper on. I'm just so anxious that he will have separation anxiety and I'll fuck him up. This is like having a baby!

TrionicLettuce Thu 04-Feb-16 00:32:44

Either take him to bed with you or go and sit near him until he settles , when he has really settled in you can always reintroduce a bedtime routine.

This is what I'd be doing as well. As Floral says, once he's settled in properly you can then gradually move him to where you want him to sleep long term.

MrsJayy Thu 04-Feb-16 00:34:32

Oh I had to sleep on the sofa for a few nights about 3 months after we got ours

CommunistLegoBloc Thu 04-Feb-16 00:36:29

I'm torn. Behaviour advice I've read said going to them when they cry reinforces the behaviour. But everything is so new for him
sad

MrsJayy Thu 04-Feb-16 00:54:37

Has he settled down

CommunistLegoBloc Thu 04-Feb-16 06:08:17

He did smile DP has just gone down and found the little bugger asleep on the sofa - he'd managed to open the door from the dining room. But that meant he could have come upstairs and he didn't, so he calmed himself down. Thanks for last night - I suspect I might have a few more panicked threads!

Floralnomad Thu 04-Feb-16 06:35:54

Well that's good if he was fine once he found himself a comfier bed .

mollie123 Thu 04-Feb-16 07:12:34

I remember this in the first few days of rehoming rescue lurcher - they do settle down and accept their new environment - stick with it.
does he have a snuggley bed - where he can burrow under something to feel secure and warm - I know they like to spread out and lie with legs everywhere but I always found at night they will often snuggle under part of their bed (based on a purely unscientific study of 2 lurchers (both of whom were 'scruffy' so had lots of fur) smile

MrsJayy Thu 04-Feb-16 07:54:24

Least he did settle and found his couch

anxious123 Thu 04-Feb-16 08:14:11

Glad he settled down, and bonus points to him for getting into room and not trashing it. You'll get there smile

CommunistLegoBloc Thu 04-Feb-16 11:36:39

He's got a mattress-style bed that's comfier than mine and a soft blanket. He did have a duvet but I think it was getting in his way. Should I be looking at another sort of bed? I suspect nothing will compare to our sofa!

AnUtterIdiot Thu 04-Feb-16 12:05:28

If he was cold, you might want to invest in a fleecy indoor jacket for him? But I agree with those who say stick with it. I'd love to have ours in our room but I suffer from eczema which is under control as long as I'm not constantly in contact with dog so bedroom has to be dog free. He did squeak a bit the first night and tried his luck the second, and it is horrible to hear but he settled after that and was fine. You're really only deferring the problem if you move him into your room and then try to move him back out.

Floralnomad Thu 04-Feb-16 14:09:33

Dogs love sofas ,there is no point in fighting it .

MrsJayy Thu 04-Feb-16 14:49:50

My dog isnt allowed on the sofa HA just passed the window to comr tin he was legs akimbo sprawled on the sofa grin. Op i wouldnt bother faffing about getting new beds his bed sounds fine wait till he is settled in and see

CommunistLegoBloc Fri 05-Feb-16 14:04:46

Any tips for helping him cope without me? He seems to have got attached very quickly, which is lovely but exhausting. He can sleep from about midnight to six, getting up to find me once but not getting me. I just went upstairs to hang up the washing and he howled! But when I was upstairs for longer earlier, he was chilled on the sofa. It's not feasible for him to expect to be with me 24/7 but is it too early to start working on it? I've been not making a fuss of him when I return, just a 'hello' in a calm voice and a pat.

In the rescue he was very self-reliant, chilled and self-contained. He's whooshed to the other end of the spectrum! I love all the cuddles but I'm feeling very pressured never to leave him!

MrsJayy Fri 05-Feb-16 14:36:35

Just go about your day and let him adjust maybe a treat when he is not causing a fuss

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now