Talk

Advanced search

He's Gone

(17 Posts)
JustmeandtheChickens Tue 02-Feb-16 12:39:13

Our darling boy.

This time last week was my last precious day with DDog. He has left a massive dog shaped hole in our lives.

He lived for an amazing 2 years after his lymphoma diagnosis and bore his treatment so well.

Just a couple of weeks ago we had a lovely walk in the snow.

I work from home and he has been my constant companion for 11yrs.

Thank-you so much for everything you gave us - we hope you know just how very much you are loved

He is so very much missed - remembering this day last week is tough.

Ratbagcatbag Tue 02-Feb-16 12:41:23

Hugs to you. They leave such amazing memories but it's so hard to not find them in their favourite spots.

Floggingmolly Tue 02-Feb-16 12:41:40

sad. I'm so sorry flowers

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 02-Feb-16 13:01:28

I'm sorry flowers

trevortrevorslatterfry Tue 02-Feb-16 13:08:43

flowers so sorry

LimeJellyHead Tue 02-Feb-16 14:35:43

So sorry for your loss. Big hugs flowers

JustmeandtheChickens Tue 02-Feb-16 15:34:01

Thank you everyone.

He brought so much joy into our lives - it's hard to start to let go sad.

I keep thinking I can hear the tags on his collar and at the week-end I could swear I heard him padding up the stairs I realise that makes me sound a bit bonkers

I know this initial grief will pass and great memories will replace the pain - but for now I just feel so terribly, terribly sad and oddly rudderless (we don't have children so he was very much the rhythm of our lives).

We can't bear to tidy up his beds and toys yet - although I think it must be done soon.

Here he is.

OTheHugeManatee Tue 02-Feb-16 15:37:41

It doesn't sound bonkers.

When my old cat died, the thing I used to imagine I could hear most often was his clicking joints. He never said anything, but had a way of just letting you know he was there by going <click click> near you in the room. It took ages before I stopped imagining I'd heard it.

Animals don't talk so the whole relationship you have with them is so much more physical - a warm body next to you, the sound of paws on a hard floor, a smell. When that's gone it's so hard to put the loss into words sad

mollie123 Tue 02-Feb-16 16:03:22

wishing you lovely memories of him that will help your grief
flowers flowers - sitting here with a huge lump in my throat - sad stories of losing your dog always affect me like that as it reminds me how much they mean to us as constant companions, loyal friends sad

DramaAlpaca Tue 02-Feb-16 16:08:20

So sorry for your loss. He was a beautiful dog flowers

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 02-Feb-16 17:13:40

Not bonkers at all, they give so much of themselves so it is not surprising that they leave a huge hole when they go. I am sorry for your loss flowers

chickensaresafehere Tue 02-Feb-16 17:26:05

We lost both of our dogs last year within months of each other.My 18yr old JRT & our 11yr old grey.
The heartache eases but I still really miss them.
Try to remember the good times,we had a wonderful day at the beach with our grey,a few months before she died & I often think of her bounding into the sea looking blissfully happy.
((Hugs))

JustmeandtheChickens Tue 02-Feb-16 17:47:50

Thanks again everyone, I am finding this comforting.

He was a very intelligent Collie x Lurcher (plus a bit of GSD I think - a proper mutt - but our mutt and we loved him!) and we had the best of both breeds - high energy when out and about and easy to train, and when at home he mostly slept and was very chilled - perfect dog for us.

In his younger days he was brilliant at agility.

He was a rescue, from Ireland I think and was a stray before he was rescued - amazingly, he had a very good and gentle nature

I think he waited until DH got home last week to decide he could let go.

AnUtterIdiot Tue 02-Feb-16 18:26:56

What a lovely boy. So sorry for your loss. flowers

KiwiJude Tue 02-Feb-16 18:52:09

Oh he was lovely, so sorry for your loss. flowers cake brew

LimeJellyHead Tue 02-Feb-16 19:56:19

Not bonkers at all and also I would say don't out anything away until you are 100% certain you are ready. Our dog passed away a month ago and I still have everything of his about the house (and smell his bed often too). All in good time (hugs).

Plomino Tue 02-Feb-16 21:04:35

What a gorgeous boy . I'm so sorry . We lost our beautiful big hound last Wednesday and I know that rudderless feeling very well . You're not bonkers , not at all . We've had to get another hound to comfort our pining girl , but whilst he is beautiful , and we adore him , I keep calling him by our old boys name .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now