Talk

Advanced search

UK holiday with dog - recommendations please

(29 Posts)
JuneFromBethesda Tue 02-Feb-16 09:28:45

I have a feeling what I'm looking for doesn't exist confused

We'd like to go away for a week in the UK with our Labrador. Me, my husband, our two children (4 & 7), and my parents.

We looked at Centre Parcs but the dog would have to be on the lead virtually all the time, except while using the dog areas which by all accounts are very small and only really for toileting purposes. Our dog loves to run and explore so that's no good.

I've looked at a few other campsites but my parents don't want to stay anywhere too basic (fair enough, they're in their 70s!)

I've looked at lots of holiday cottage rentals but all the companies I've looked at that like to say how dog-friendly they are also say that the dog can't be left alone in the property at any time. I don't want to be taking her out with us all day every day.

In my dreams, I'd like a beachfront cottage somewhere in the south of England within walking distance of a town, with lots of activities for the kids (access to an indoor pool would be nice ...). Where we can leave the dog for a few hours!

Budget not necessarily an issue as I think my parents will help out - if I could only find something suitable.

Please tell me about holidays you've had with your dog (and your kids as well if applicable!)

Madblondedog Tue 02-Feb-16 09:56:30

Watching with interest, I am wondering if contacting cottage owners directly and saying I would bring ddogs crate would ever have an impact on their decision to let me leave him unattended.

Focusfocus Tue 02-Feb-16 10:43:10

Watching

nmg85 Tue 02-Feb-16 10:44:32

Where in the UK do you want to go?

JuneFromBethesda Tue 02-Feb-16 10:54:29

Hi nmg, we're in the south-east so I was thinking South Coast somewhere. (Hoping if we stay south we'll have a better chance of a bit of sunshine!)

I understand why the cottage rental companies stipulate dogs can't be left unattended but it's really annoying!

I suppose the other option is for the four of us to book into a campsite and my parents to find a self-catering property nearby, but it's not the same as all staying together.

iseenodust Tue 02-Feb-16 11:02:39

IME the further north you go the more dogs are welcome. Can't beat Northumbria for dog friendly and relatively quiet beaches even in Aug. unless you go up to Scotland in which case having a dog in tow is the norm. Still remember the dog been offered a drink in a pub before us !

nmg85 Tue 02-Feb-16 11:12:00

Have you tried the New Forest of Isle of Wight? Some stay dogs can be in rooms / cottage if in a crate, I think mainly they don't want the dog to destroy the place.
The only places I know of are in Norfolk / Suffolk which probably won't be suitable

mollkat Tue 02-Feb-16 11:25:17

Natural retreats?
I have been to the one in John o'Groats and the accommodation is beautiful and pet friendly, locations fantastic, and I often get email offers .
https://www.naturalretreats.com

MaynJune Tue 02-Feb-16 12:48:26

Can't offer anything specific but on a couple of cottage holidays in England we found day care kennels in the area online and booked the dogs in before we went, for a couple of separate days.

It wasn't perfect as we had to collect them by about 5pm but still gave us a decent amount of time to visit places that weren't suitable for dogs..

Dieu Tue 02-Feb-16 14:11:55

If you know that your dog isn't destructive and is going to sleep in your absence, then why would they necessarily have to know that he is home alone ..... sneaky emoticon

LBOCS2 Tue 02-Feb-16 14:13:51

... Particularly if he's crated, no?

Cirencester is amazingly dog friendly, we found when we visited. Can't help with the other bits but was happy to see dogs everywhere!

JuneFromBethesda Tue 02-Feb-16 15:41:43

I did think that, Dieu, but would rather keep looking until we find somewhere that doesn't have rules we end up breaking!

Kennels aren't an option even for day care I'm afraid - she's a rescue dog, doesn't like being around other dogs and I think she'd be utterly miserable in a kennel setting.

I'm still looking, some holiday cottage companies don't seem to have such strict rules so I'm hopeful we'll find something suitable ... eventually ...

I had a look at Natural Retreats but at a glance it looked like blow the budget territory - we're not quite on a shoestring but I think it might be a bit beyond us!

Thanks for the ideas everyone - any more welcome smile

Popsy155 Tue 02-Feb-16 15:55:55

We've been here in Cornwall www.bedandbasket.co.uk/with our Lab and Border Terrier and it's fab, really dog friendly, it's a bit pricey but well worth the money. Good luck..

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 02-Feb-16 16:17:32

Google little dumpledale. Ive not been but many people on lurcher link forum have been and say it's so dog friendly. I think they'll look after your dog in their farmhouse for you if you need a dog free day.

Personally I bought my own caravan, a tourer. And use that for holidays now I have a dog. I tend to go to the Lake District as you can take your dogs in most of the shops and cafes. We have great holidays. Yes, it was an initial expense but it will be holidays for a decade or more.

Kidnapped Tue 02-Feb-16 16:18:03

We've been to www.yethouse.co.uk/ in the Scottish borders and loved it. 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2 sitting rooms. Lovely owners next door. It is at the foot of a mountain biking course. There's a Rock UK activity centre with indoor pool just down the road from the cottage (half a mile, if that). Also an easy day trip to Kielder forest where there are loads of activities.

Not entirely sure about whether you can leave the dog alone (you'd have to ask) but there is a large inner porch area with a radiator where our dog slept at night. You could close the doors to make sure that no destruction was wrought while you are out.

Dieu Tue 02-Feb-16 20:14:17

Absolutely look on airb&b. You're having problems finding somewhere because it's companies that have these strict rules. Many individuals won't have, and would be happy to have your pet there.
Come to Edinburgh! Lots of dog friendly pups, restaurants, parks, etc.

Littlereen Tue 02-Feb-16 20:36:14

Try the 'dog friendly holiday accommodation' page on Facebook, we've booked two holidays through there now, there's lots of owners on there, you can post your requirements and let them sell themselves to you!

insan1tyscartching Tue 02-Feb-16 20:38:34

Our experience has been that everywhere gets more dog friendly the further north you go. We stayed in the Scottish borders too here and Eric was welcome pretty much everywhere (he was cooked sausages and served under the table whilst we had breakfast) not only that the scenery was beautiful and there were some fantastic walks.

Muskateersmummy Tue 02-Feb-16 20:40:10

We regularly holiday with our collie. We book self catering cottages, there are loads that take dogs. She's been with us to the Lake District twice, Cornwall and Devon. We are currently looking at Norfolk for this year.

lapsedorienteerer Tue 02-Feb-16 20:47:38

We've been to loads of self catering cottages with a dog. I must admit we always take the dog out and about with us but to be honest no one would ever have been any the wiser had we left her behind! It's a bit like the standard condition of 'no dogs upstairs' grin.

I'd recommend Northumberland and Pembrokeshire.

lapsedorienteerer Tue 02-Feb-16 20:50:24

Why not pop across the channel to northernFrance, even more dog friendly than the UKgrin.

HemanOrSheRa Tue 02-Feb-16 20:50:27

This place is lovely www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/mawgan-porth/371166. We've not stayed in the bungalow I've linked to but we have stayed in another property in the complex. The beach is dog friendly.

There is an outdoor pool and you can use the indoor pool at another complex just along the road www.mawganporth.co.uk/.

Fannycraddock79 Tue 02-Feb-16 22:05:04

We stayed here last year https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/VacationRentalReview-g190807-d8604228-SheldonBarnn_withsharedd_indoorpooll_hottub-Bidefordd_Devon_England.html

It was a gorgeous small 2 bed converted barn, stone floors with luxury touches (I promise I don't own it-I wish!). Lots of land to run around in and near good beaches. We took fabric crate and left dog for a few hours of we were going for dinner/lunch/somewhere dog unsuitable. Owners live in the big house on site but have other properties on site also-high park barns bideford. The indoor swimming pool was great for us and our little ones, we used it everyday.

JuneFromBethesda Sat 06-Feb-16 16:58:37

Sorry for the delay coming back to this, and thanks so much for all the suggestions - especially Heman, as I really like the look of Mawgan Porth. We haven't worked out where we're going yet but have a few more ideas, so I'm hopeful we'll find somewhere nice smile

Fannycraddock79 Sat 06-Feb-16 20:17:16

We stayed at the park at mawgan porth, beach is great and the food at the on site restaurant is fantastic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now