Talk

Advanced search

Insuring an older dog?

(6 Posts)
SaggingTits Sun 31-Jan-16 23:20:10

Just gone on a few comparison sites. Cheapest quote is £44 a month for accident only cover shock. Anyone manage to insure an older dog? She's 8-10 years old, don't know exact age.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Mon 01-Feb-16 07:42:32

Crikey that's steep! My girl is only £30 for lifetime cover with £1200 max payout per condition per year. That's through the Kennle club. It is harder to insure an older dog though. Has she generally been in good health? Also was thay through a comparison site or from ringing round? I'd be tempted to keep calling round trying to get a better deal. I know my dad chose not to insure his dog when she got to about 11(because it was getting increasingly costly for a lower level of cover), for the 12 months in the run up to that he put an equal amount in a bank account which he continued to do when the policy lapsed, she had always been in good health though & continued to be so until she passed peacefully in her sleep. Had anything happened though he did have a good amount of money to fall back on. I do appreciate it's not something everyone would be comfortable with.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 01-Feb-16 12:45:49

Our nearly 3 year old lab is already £33/month with petplan.

Dread to think how much it will be when he's 8-10, but have seen comments on here before of owners paying >£80/month for dogs at that age.

toboldlygo Mon 01-Feb-16 13:32:49

The cut-off for new policies with most insurers seems to be age 7 (5 for some high-risk breeds) so you're not likely to get anything except accident only or a 12 month limited policy now I'm afraid, for which £44/month probably isn't unreasonable. Do check the terms well as they often include co-payments for older dogs, 10-20% of any claim in addition to a fixed excess. In those circs I'd also consider starting a monthly savings account instead.

Howdidthathappen1 Mon 01-Feb-16 20:10:33

Try more than. I got 10 year old lab for £400pa and 8yr old cocker for £250pa

orangeyellowgreen Wed 03-Feb-16 20:43:08

I'd like to know why pet insurers say old age starts at 7 when dogs generally live to mid or late teens. They know that some breeds only get to 10 but there's no fair reason why healthy hardy dogs should cost twice as much to insure when they reach early middle age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now