Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me they get easier!

(7 Posts)
needssomesun Sun 31-Jan-16 15:38:10

I have a 7 month old Labradoodle, it's been a long time since I've had a young dog and I think I'd completely underestimated how difficult it would be. I should start by saying he has the most fantastic nature, has been a dream to toilet train and is fantastic with my 2 young boys.

However, he's just relentless! Firstly, the barking, he likes to lie on the bay window and bark at anybody and anything (and indeed nothing at all!)
And secondly, he is constantly running off with things in his mouth. I find I spend most of my day getting annoyed with him when I should be enjoying him as he really is adorable on the rare occasions that he calms down.

Please help! 😁

pigsDOfly Sun 31-Jan-16 16:22:28

Lots of brain work would help give him something to occupy his head and wear him out - can't bark while he's thinking.

Feed him with a puzzle feeder, cardboard boxes can be used to great effect I understand for hiding things and getting him to search them out.

Google games to play. You'll find loads of ideas to get him using his brain.

needssomesun Sun 31-Jan-16 16:29:46

Hadn't thought of anything like that, obviously have lots to learn 😳
I'll have a Google!

TrionicLettuce Sun 31-Jan-16 17:10:16

101 things to do with a box is brilliant for getting their brains working.

insan1tyscartching Sun 31-Jan-16 19:28:46

Yes another vote for keeping him busy Eric can be a pain if he gets bored. Boxes are great and we now use wide necked plastic bottles for longer lasting fun because once he's got the paper off that I tape to fasten the treats in he has to shake the bottle to get the treats out. That or a bone from the butcher guarantees me a quiet hour or so.

anxious123 Sun 31-Jan-16 20:25:28

A puzzle ball/Kong? They're good for keeping brains busy.

MightyMug Sun 31-Jan-16 21:57:45

We tend not to give ours the chance to run off with things that young - lots of 'dog' places and 'human places'. I wouldn't trust them in the sitting room alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now