Talk

Advanced search

Dog not settling at night

(10 Posts)
MummyIsMagic79 Wed 27-Jan-16 00:48:49

We have a seven month old Labrador bitch. Every single night when we go to bed, my husband sits with her by her crate for about fifteen minutes, settling her off. Then when we come upstairs she howls and cries until he goes back down. He usually stays there in the dark, next to the crate for around 15 minutes again. Then he can creep back up to bed. Occasionally he has to go back AGAIN. He's exhausted. She won't settle for me AT ALL, so I can't help him.
Can anyone help? We have 3 kids of 9, 6 and 3, and are in a semi (neighbours!).

Thanks.

Jenda Wed 27-Jan-16 00:56:44

Do you have the option of moving her crate upstairs? I've seen lots of people say on here that they started in the bedroom or hallway and slowly moved further away. That way she can hear you and might feel comforted by your presence. Does she spend time in her crate during the day?

Lokibuddyboo Wed 27-Jan-16 04:32:49

I would try putting the create in your bed room.
Perhaps she needs the company and doesn't like being on her own that's all I can think of to try as I don't have that problem ddog sleeps on my bed he never did like a create.

MyFriendsCallMeOh Wed 27-Jan-16 04:37:04

Don't go back down! Just put her in her crate, say goodnight and leave her. I've had both of my dogs from 8 weeks old and never heard of settling a dog to sleep. You need controlled crying for dogs. Might take a night or two if you want to warn your neighbours.....

Floralnomad Wed 27-Jan-16 11:30:47

Have you tried leaving her to sleep wherever she is sleeping during the evening ? Does she settle in the crate during the day .

AnUtterIdiot Wed 27-Jan-16 13:48:09

I have never had dogs sleep in the room with me because it exacerbates my otherwise reasonably well controlled eczema (not having dogs is obviously not an option grin). All of our dogs have slept downstairs and they have all settled into it after the first couple of nights.

I'm a big believer in Howl It Out. I would make the good night ritual a bit more business-like. A good stroke and then off to bed but not a protracted 15 minutes of cuddling unless your husband enjoys that bit himself. You can expect that when you leave the room she'll try to follow you and you'll have to close the door. Then she'll cry for a bit and then she'll settle. You can leave an old jumper of your husband's with her if she is more likely to settle for him, that might help. You could also try leaving the radio on very low and one light on (our dog sleeps in the kitchen and we leave the cooker hood light on for him). It is horrible to listen to the howling, but she won't stop whilst it gets results.

The other thing is that we've never crate trained, so I don't know if you're shutting her in the crate at night? If you are, have you considered leaving it open so that she can wander about a bit?

Wineandchovolateneededasap Wed 27-Jan-16 17:33:40

Mine did this till I caved in and let her sleep in her bed in my room!

Cheerfulmarybrown Wed 27-Jan-16 17:57:44

Leave one of your husbands worn shirts with her - it might fool her smile

Branleuse Wed 27-Jan-16 18:04:08

let her sleep upstairs?

AnUtterIdiot Wed 27-Jan-16 20:32:15

PS try moving her to the landing but I think she will continue to squeak because in her head that is what makes your lovely husband come and sit with her in the middle of the night smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now